Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea-v-Bayern

• 06-04-2005 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Selection  	   	Prices
    Chelsea 	  	4 - 6
    Draw 	  	23 - 10
    Bayern Munich 	  	9 - 2  <Great odds
    Selection 	  	Prices
    Chelsea 1-0 	  	5 - 1
    Draw 0-0 	  	13 - 2
    Bayern Munich 1-0 	  	17 - 2
    Chelsea 2-0 	  	11 - 2
    Draw 1-1 	  	11 - 2
    Bayern Munich 2-0 	  	25 - 1
    Chelsea 2-1 	  	15 - 2
    Draw 2-2 	  	14 - 1
    Bayern Munich 2-1 	  	16 - 1
    Chelsea 3-0 	  	11 - 1
    Draw 3-3 	  	80 - 1
    Bayern Munich 3-0 	  	80 - 1
    Chelsea 3-1 	  	12 - 1
    Bayern Munich 3-1 	  	80 - 1
    Chelsea 3-2 	  	33 - 1 
    Bayern Munich 3-2 	  	66 - 1
    D Drogba 	  	5 - 1
    No Goalscorer 	  	13 - 2
    R Makaay 	  	15 - 2
    E Gudjohnsen 	  	11 - 2
    J Guerrero 	  	10 - 1
    M Forssell 	  	6 - 1  	  	 
    V Hashemian 	  	11 - 1
    D Duff 	  	7 - 1
    M Ballack 	  	11 - 1
    F Lampard 	  	8 - 1
    A Zickler 	  	12 - 1
    J Cole 	  	9 - 1
    M Scholl 	  	18 - 1

Bayern to win 3-2 be nice i bet €5 on that:)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chelsea, minus Mourinho, have Mikael Forssell back on the bench.

Bayern are missing Pizarro, and Makaay is apparently struggling, although I'd be surprised if he missed out.

Looking forward to seeing Steve Clarke talking to anonymous strangers on his phone, wonder what UEFA will make of it if it happens.

My prediction - 2-0 to Chelsea, Lampard to get on the scoresheet.

Current European form

# Chelsea are unbeaten in the Champions League for nine home matches since their defeat by Besiktas (0-2) in October 2003.
    # Chelsea won Group H and beat Barcelona 5-4 on aggregate in the first of the knockout rounds.
    # Bayern Munich have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last six Champions League matches.
    # Bayern's last European defeat by more than a single goal was in April 2002 when Real Madrid beat them 2-0.
    # Bayern Munich finished second in Group C behind Juventus before knocking out Arsenal at the last 16 stage with a 3-2 aggregate score.

Player and disciplinary info

# Chelsea's Mateja Kezman and Bayern's Martin Demichelis will both be suspended for this match.
    # Glen Johnson and Alexei Smertin (Chelsea) along with Bayern's Michael Ballack, Robert Kovac and Hasan Salihamidzic will be suspended for the second leg if they are shown a yellow card in the first leg.
    # Chelsea's William Gallas, Frank Lampard and Damien Duff have played in all eight of their club's Champions League fixtures this season.
    # Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele is their most experienced player in the Champions League with 64 appearances to his name.
    # Bayern Munich's Croatian defender Robert Kovac will celebrate his 31st birthday on the day of this match.
    # Oliver Kahn is Bayern Munich's only ever-present in this season's Champions League. He has also played every minute of the competition for this club this season.
    # If he participates, Kahn will be the most experienced player on the pitch with 85 Champions League appearances to his name.
    # Roy Makaay is the player in the Munich squad with the most Champions League career goals (25).
    # Makaay scored seven of his 25 Champions League career goals this season, which ranks him second (jointly with Inter's Adriano) on this season's top scorer list just behind Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy (eight).
    # Seven of Bayern's squad have played at least 50 matches in the Champions League compared to Chelsea's one.

Other miscellaneous facts

# Chelsea trainer Jose Mourinho has won a European trophy in each of the last two seasons - the 2002/2003 Uefa Cup and 2003/2004 Champions League, both with FC Porto.
    # Chelsea have played 48 matches this season whilst Bayern Munich have played seven fewer.
    # Chelsea have lost just four of their 48 matches in all competitions under Mourinho.
    # A 1-0 Premiership defeat at Manchester City, 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Newcastle United and 2-1 Champions League defeats at FC Porto and FC Barcelona make up that quartet.
    # In these 48 matches, Chelsea have scored 91 goals and have conceded only 24 goals.
    # On Saturday, 2 April, Chelsea won 3-1 at Southampton with Eidur Gudjohnsen scoring two goals.
    # Chelsea lead the Premiership by 13 points from Arsenal and Manchester United.
    # Bayern Munich need to score four goals to record 150 in the Champions League.
    # The second leg of this match will be Bayern Munich's 100th Champions League match.
    # They will be the third club to reach this milestone after Real Madrid (111) and Manchester United (109), both of whom are out of this season's competition.
    # On Saturday, 2 April, Bayern Munich won at Wolfsburg (3-0) but both strikers Pizarro and Makaay were injured. Pizarro will definitely miss the match against Chelsea.
    # Bayern Munich lead the Bundesliga on goal difference from Schalke 04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

2-1 Chelsea, I think Bayern will score, Chelsea will go 2-0 up and then a Bayern onslaught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bayern wont stick 3 pass Chelsea but I think they'll proberly scrape it over two legs. Tonight I'll go for a draw.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Tonight Im going for a draw but overall im going for a mun-chin win. Chelsea havent faced a proper balanced side yet and I cant see them winning the tie over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Can we have a Chelsea v Munchen thread also? and maybe a Chelsea v Bavaria thread, thought that would be geographically inacurrate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Gonna go for a 0 - 0 draw with Chelsea to go through after a scored draw in Munich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bayern are really overrated imo. Celtic played them twice last season and Bayern had pretty much the same team as they do now, Celtic were better than them in both matches if you ask me (we dominated for 75 minutes in Munich and Bayern just held on in Glasgow). I seen Bayern play a few times since then and they have never really impressed me. I think it'll be an easy win for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Even though I like to see Chelsea doing we'll I'm kind of hoping for a Bayern win. I reckon Liverpool could have a go at Chelsea in the semi's (should they get through) but I don't fancy the possibility of losing to chelsea five times in one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i am up for the germans on this one, hope chelsea get spanked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I'd say Chelsea will walk this one. From what I've seen of Bayern this year they look weak. They have had an easy enough draw this year in the CL (Yes, in europe Arsenal are easy - and they certainly were that night in Munich) and they have not really impressed me.

You never know though, they could come out with all guns blazing but I doubt it. They might be that in Munich but not at the Bridge. Chelsea will want to be up by 2 or 3 with a clean sheet to put this one to bed early and I can't see Bayern scoring today. I'd say there'll be a few goals in this and they'll all be Chelsea's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I.ll go for a chelsea win 1 or 2 nil, I think they are too strong for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

2-0 on the night im hoping for,havnt seen much of bayern bar the arsenal match but with makaay and pizzaro out its not looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

come on bayern

just dont want to see chelsea win

1-0 Chelsea, Cole. Very fortunate deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Chelsea 1 up Cole fluke!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BingoBongo wrote:
    Chelsea 1 up Cole fluke!!!!!!!!!!!!

A goal is a goal though fluke or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Gudjohnson sucks, good play by Chelsea so far.

All that money and its all route one stuff with Chelski. I cant belive im watching the champions league. Poor by Chelsea IMO. Munchin were unlucky. It really should be 1-1. There isnt much in this chelsea team that looks like champions league winners to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

All that money and its all route one stuff with Chelski. I cant belive im watching the champions league. Poor by Chelsea IMO. Munchin were unlucky. It really should be 1-1. There isnt much in this chelsea team that looks like champions league winners to be fair.
    There wasn't much in the Porto team last year either, or in the Greece team. Seems to be the way is blowing at the moment, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ARGHHHH MY EYES THIS FOOTBALL IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!

Both games are pretty much the same AC inter more possesion, chelsea bayern just kicking each other.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Gudjohnson sucks, good play by Chelsea so far.

it thought Gudjohnson has done well so far. Better than that stocking Drogba anyway. willing to defend when needed.

Yeah Drogba has been getting worse and Gudjohnson better, but he can't seem to pass the ball quickly, which doesn't bode well for a midfield player. He's good when he has time on the ball.

1-1 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - God that goal felt good !!! If Chelsea won the Champions league it would be a travesty for soccer.

The match is played at an incrediblely low standard, its all kick and run stuff. Route one stuff as well. All the goals were mistakes. That for me is a sign of a poor game.

**Edit. Oh no :( 2-1, disapointed to say the least. Another route one goal. poor - very poor. Its jack charlton stuff out there !!

Super Frank!

4-1. another dreadful scrappy goal, something out of division one. booo.

Mourino manager is passing peices of paper to the bench. German TV picked it up. Mourino is just doing that to wind up the press and piss the germans off. Its pathetic. i hope he gets banned for the rest of the tournament.

YES - PENO !!! That carvalho fella is allways pulling fellas down !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ballack is a diver..4-2 isnt a bad nights work though and all chelsea really needs to do now is score 1 goal and its over something they are more than able to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

4-1. another dreadful scrappy goal, something out of division one. booo.

Mourino manager is passing peices of paper to the bench. German TV picked it up. Mourino is just doing that to wind up the press and piss the germans off. Its pathetic. i hope he gets banned for the rest of the tournament.

YES - PENO !!! That carvalho fella is allways pulling fellas down !!
    talk about bias. :eek: ;)

Jesus Lampards goals were good. Second was sublime! how did he get that on target never mind in the net? That's his bad foot!

Very dissapointing result though in the end. Bayern were handed a chance with that penalty which was very kind imo. Still though. If it was 3-2 it would be another story altogether. Can't see Bayern winning by 2 even if it is in Munich.

Good win for Chelsea, Ballack "won" the penalty with a nice dive. At 4-1 it was Chelsea all the way to the semi's, at 4-2 I'd still say Chelsea but Bayern will think they ar ein with a chance. Couple of very nice goals from Frank.

• Advertisement

Yeah will be interesting to see how the pieces of paper are explained. Christ Mourinho better not get himself in even more trouble...

Ballack is a diving little bastard, what a goal by Frank, the control on the chest was sublime, it wasn't pretty but its effective and if you get at Bayern like the blues did then you have a chance, something gooners didn't do.

McKay (or however its spelt) will be back for the return leg, so 2-0 might not be that hard. They are in with a shout anyway. They just need to tighten things up at the back and stop all the long balls.

I never thought I would see as many long balls in the quarter finals as tonight.

smuckers wrote:
    Ballack is a diving little bastard, what a goal by Frank, the control on the chest was sublime, it wasn't pretty but its effective and if you get at Bayern like the blues did then you have a chance, something gooners didn't do.

I don't think Arsenal are capable of it against top european opposition though. For all their recent domestic success, they've never even looked like potential winners in europe. Chelsea had a pefect squad for europe. The players seem to really suit european football. Plus they showed they ar enot averse to a bit of ugly football, and can adapt well.

McKay (or however its spelt) will be back for the return leg, so 2-0 might not be that hard. They are in with a shout anyway. They just need to tighten things up at the back and stop all the long balls.

I never thought I would see as many long balls in the quarter finals as tonight.

Obviously it was the achilles heel that Mourinho highlighted, can't play pretty all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ah ha, all I can say is karma.
    Carvalho didn't foul Ballack, it was a dive, but Carvalho fouled Valdes and Terry scored from it. Call it bitterness, damn straight it's bitterness. Now I hope to God Bayern win 2-0 at home.
    Didn't watch this game though, only the highlights at the end. Lampard's second goal was quality.

• Advertisement

Makaveli wrote:
    Ah ha, all I can say is karma.
    Carvalho didn't foul Ballack, it was a dive, but Carvalho fouled Valdes and Terry scored from it. Call it bitterness, damn straight it's bitterness. Now I hope to God Bayern win 2-0 at home.
    Didn't watch this game though, only the highlights at the end. Lampard's second goal was quality.

The way everyone was going on about "The Carvallho foul", you would swear he rugby tackled him.

A foul is a foul, doesn't matter how he fouled him all that matters is that he fouled him. Which he did.

I beg to differ, I think it was a blatent dive.

Good game in the end, Chelsea played very well bayern looked old :confused: Even Kahn didnt look arsed few times he would have creamed players to catch a ball but he just left it.

Bayern are gonna need Makaay and Pizzarro fit to scor 2 vs Chelsea away. KNew there goals just hoped they went other way, less beer for me now :(

kdjac

Stekelly wrote:
    I beg to differ, I think it was a blatent dive.

Beg to differ with who? Me?
    I already stated it was a dive. I was reffering to the Valdes - Carvalho incident in my previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There was a tug, he felt it, he went down and has been said a foul is a foul. The laws of the game do not specify an amount of contact that would constitute a foul, just that there must be contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Good,entertaining game i thought. Franky's proving why he is one of the best midfielders in the world at the moment.
    Good Karma, Bad Karma etc. etc.

Carvalho fouled Valdes,which made up for Deco's dive in the 1st leg(as people say).
    Ballack dove,which cancelled out Carvalho's little foul on Valdes.
    What'll happen next week??

Schweinsteiger should have gone, he hacked down Duff and was already on a yellow.

disappointing game i taught, not as good as the liverpool match

disappointing game i taught, not as good as the liverpool match

o....k..... then 6 goals 2 crackers , dodgy peno and plenty of chelsea attacking play just not good enough for you?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    o....k..... then 6 goals 2 crackers , dodgy peno and plenty of chelsea attacking play just not good enough for you?

kdjac
    the second half was good first was boring

the only thing chelsea really did was lobbing the ball over head i hate that style it reminds of Gerard Houllier style at liverpool
    i know that chelsea had to do this to get through the midfield but i hate it

but i still rather liverpools match

Makaveli wrote:
    Beg to differ with who? Me?
    I already stated it was a dive. I was reffering to the Valdes - Carvalho incident in my previous post.

My bad, bit of a misunderstanding.

There was a tug, he felt it, he went down and has been said a foul is a foul. The laws of the game do not specify an amount of contact that would constitute a foul, just that there must be contact.

So if I lightly brush my finger along a players arm hes entitled to go do and the penalty is deserved.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Schweinsteiger should have gone, he hacked down Duff and was already on a yellow.

I dont think he should've gone, i agree with the ref on that one. He was late,yeah but he didnt mean to intentionally get Duffer. I actually thought the ref had a great game tonight,appart from the penalty incident but he can hardly be blamed for that!! Dont recall if ive watched him reffing before,obviously wasnt paying attention if i had.

Agreed that it wasnt as good as Juve-'Pool, but id say thats because there wasnt near as much emotion involved, but it was still another cracking game!! Hope next week provides as much entertainment!!!

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

In fairness you did say this:
    KdjaC wrote:
    ARGHHHH MY EYES THIS FOOTBALL IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!

Both games are pretty much the same AC inter more possesion, chelsea bayern just kicking each other.

kdjac

at half time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement