Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting To Cut Grass So Checked My Bb Speed And Guess What - No Change??

• 06-04-2005 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

My understanding was that my BB speed would go to 2mb down and stay the same up at a miserly 128kps up on 4th April. I am with BTESAT or IOLBB or whatever they want to call themselves, I call them 2 smart by half, just been given an email addy that does not work!! I am supposed to be on BB plus and I pay ?47.00pm.

Is this all one BIG CON in that 2mb and 1mb is only available to the PALE and nowhere else yet?

I checked speeds with numion, mcafee and a beltronica, they all give different redings, eg 123kps, 134kps, 126kps but all fairly close. By my reckoning this is not what I should get with a 2mb connection? Although I must say that this whole thing about download speeds leaves me flat as there is always a catch all phrase like, theoritically speaking etc. Can anyone say what an average dl speed would be for a 2mb connection?

I have emailed tech support to check what's what.

BUT can anyone tell me a simple way to check if I have been upgraded. I have got so used to a pretty paltry service I dont know what to expect anymore.

As an example this site is still very slow.

GBCULLEN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

First well see if you have a 2mbit connection(some plus users were actually on a basic line).

Type 192.168.1.1 int browser and press return <-Default IP of Router
    Enter your User/Pass as admin/1234 <-Defaults
    Click "System Status" under the Maintenance tab,
    Click "Show Statistics" on bottom of that page.
    You will get a small popup stating:

WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 128 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 2048 kbps <-If this states 1024 kbps then you are on the basic line and should ring them up and give them hell.

If it states 2048 then you have an intermetent connection like me and must resort to the possible use of a download accelerator to get your speeds at a correct value.

When downloading with a 2mbit connection you can expect to get mabye 85% of the quoted speed as the lin which travels to your home is not a superconductor and will experience loss.
    This loss will propertionally increase the longer or more degraded you line is.

Example:
    2mit line -> 2048kbit/s
    2048 x 0.85 -> 1740kbits/s
    When download your comp will represent this as a value in Bytes and not bits

so:

1740/8 -> 217kBytes/s

Any higher than above and you are lucky.

BTW.
    I have been using DC-Sakura Boyish-Downloader to download files since Sunday as I rarely get over 200KBytes using IE6,Opera,K-meleon or Firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks for reply but I can enter what u suggest into browser but it does nothing ie page cant be found. I may be missing the obvious, do I put http etc before the item?

I rang esat and I was talked through a few steps and then asked to download a 10mb doc, the speed was between 176 and 186 it never got any higher. I was told I should be getting 200kbps. I will try on a newer pc later on.

I would like to do your check anyway so perhaps u can tell me where i am going wrong.

gbcullen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

That's pretty close to what you should be getting. I wouldn't complain too much; a lot of people are doing a hell of a lot worse. And the difference between 186kb/s and 200 won't make much difference to your life, tbh.

This is what you should get if you i/p the address into your Browser and then i/p:

Username: admin
    Password: 1234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

julius wrote:
    This is what you should get if you i/p the address into your Browser and then i/p:

Username: admin
    Password: 1234

julius you are assuming he has the iol router. They gave out modems you know not so long ago.

• Advertisement

[sarcastic]
    They couldnt have given out modems.
    Why??
    Moulatordemmodulator is used for 56k to convert from digital-analogue and back again.

DSL is an all digital system.
    [/sarcastic]

But seriously, GBCULLEN what is the serial number of device which gives you broadband.
    I am speaking from the point of view of someone who uses a ZyXEL 623...so if yours is different then have another look at the manual you got with it to find out how to access its configurator.
    You would have needed to know this when you set it up to access DSL in the first place.

This is a good page to learn more about gaining access to almost all DSL devices:
    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Your right about the Moulatordemmodulator thing but the word modem has been adapted in more recent times to mean any box that gets you on the Internet. Probably because for the average Joe Internet user asking them to remember a new word could cause half their brain to overload before shutting down completely.

thanks for all replies. I tried the speeds on a newer pc, xp pro, 3.0ghz and lo and behold got dl speeds of 208kps. As long as it says around 200 I am happy. The icon on the systray on new tray does say 2.0mbs!!

The other pc is win98se and 700ghz. I use the same type modem on both pc's the zyxel 630, and all I can remember about it was it was missing the drivers for win98se when I got it.

Very happy, now waiting for the ul speed to change for the better, one day I will get all my photos uploaded, one day.

gbcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

GBCULLEN wrote:
    thanks for all replies. I tried the speeds on a newer pc, xp pro, 3.0ghz and lo and behold got dl speeds of 208kps. As long as it says around 200 I am happy. The icon on the systray on new tray does say 2.0mbs!!

The other pc is win98se and 700ghz. I use the same type modem on both pc's the zyxel 630, and all I can remeber about it was it was missing the drivers for win98se when I got it.

Very happy, now waiting for the ul speed to change for the better, one day I will get all my photos uploaded, one day.

gbcullen

Frankly anything around 200KB/sec (1.6 Mbit) is fine.

You have RADSL, the "R" stands for rate adaptive. You are not supposed to expect full speed all the time, it depends on the load on the DSLAM. That's why leased lines cost so much more than DSL ones.

The number of TCP connections running (overhead) on a machine can also affect the speed.

all is clear now and quite frankly I was happy once 512kb arrived as I thought it never would so 1.6mb is super duper

gbcullen

• Advertisement
Advertisement