Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewery Road, Stillorgan Leopardstown

Options
  • 06-04-2005 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Has anyone any info on why Brewery Road is so named? Presumably there was once a brewery there, but any further insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

My father grew up in Stillorgan village in the 1940s & 1950s - it was a rural village back then! I'll ask him if he knows anything about that, though it's unlikely that any brewery there lasted long into the 20th century.

Also maybe these people might know http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Efoxrocklocalhistory/contactus.htm

I asked my dad and he cannot remember a working brewery there but he does remember there was a derelict building there in the later 1940s, early 1950s which he thinks was a brewery.

This building was on the left hand side as you turned off the Bray Road on a site now occupied by an office building. There was a stream (probably now culverted) running through this building's grounds so maybe water supply = brewery? I'm afraid he can't be more specific than that that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Live off Brewery Road but I haven't heard of anything. Did some school report on the area and nothing about a brewery came up

Recently I got a chance to have a look at a 1899 ordenance survey map of this area and a "Stillorgan brewery" is marked right where my Dad said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Many thanks for the info. Strange how road names persist without any real reason! I live on Captains Road in Crumlin, but can't trace who the captain was. No doubt Google will eventually make some connections.

Anyway, thanks again. Another little curiosity satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 john doyle38

I was born what was then call The Convalescent Home Lodge on Brewary Road, Stillorgan. 1949. At that time there was the ruins of an old brewary as you entered the brewary rd. from the Bray road. It was a substantial old building, don't know any of the history attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have a look here ...

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=#V1,720393,727263,6

... and switch the map to "Historic B&W" and you'll see the "Stillorgan Brewery" quite clearly marked.

It's a great resource .. you can even add an historical layer over the map and select certain features (including breweries!!).

EDIT: Oops, just saw how old this thread is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

Excellent Alun, just found your link ^ this evening.
    Solved a long-running family battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Alun wrote: »
    Have a look here ...

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=#V1,720393,727263,6

... and switch the map to "Historic B&W" and you'll see the "Stillorgan Brewery" quite clearly marked.

It's a great resource .. you can even add an historical layer over the map and select certain features (including breweries!!).

EDIT: Oops, just saw how old this thread is :D

That is brilliant Alun.
    I have discovered so much in a few minutes about where my family came from, from your post.

Thanks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

extract from Thom's 1852 :

Stillorgan, a parish and village in Rathdown barony, Dublin county, 3 miles S.E. from the General Post office.. population of parish 1,550.... near to it there is an extensive ale and beer brewery of Messers. Darley, carried on for nearly a century by that family.

The proprietor Henry Darley esq, is listed with an address of The Grange, at Galloping Green.

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement