Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP in NY - What stores?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Toronto at the moment and was hoping to pick up a PSP last night. They're only selling bundles with Wayne Gretsky Hockey and a bunch of accessories which I have no interest in.

I'm hoping to pick one up in NY over the next couple of days. Any ideas what stores sell them? I've sourced a couple of EBs in the area, and I've found the local sony store. Any other places I could be looking if I can't get one there? I'm staying downtown on West 52nd St.....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its a bit of a gamble iv read alot of things saying NYC sold out pretty quick.

Look for Target, Best Buy, Walmart, GametStop and EB. There is a big Toys R Us in Time Sq as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I posted your question on IGN boards,

"I picked up Twisted Metal at Toys R Us on Sunday. They are sold out of the PSP until mid May they said. This is the store at Times Sqaure. I was also at FAO Schwartz, which doesn't even sell video games anymore. Try some of the small electronics store along Times Square."

"There are tons of little electronics stores all over downtown. Some are not so reputable though. You may want to pick a national store so you can return if need be."

"I found mine at Virgin in Union Sq. All the EBs and Gamestops told me they won't have them for weeks. "

"Try J and R Electronics. It's right across the street from CITY HALL. "

"PSP is VERY hard to come by in NYC. I'ts becoming Ipod"

"chinatown, would also be a good place to try there a bunch of gameshops in the lower part of a minimall that's on elizabeth below canal."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

TmB wrote:
    I'm in Toronto at the moment and was hoping to pick up a PSP last night. They're only selling bundles with Wayne Gretsky Hockey and a bunch of accessories which I have no interest in.

Now that is the height of stereotypicalism.

Watch your self if your going in to any of the smaller electronics stores they are serious gangsters. They may try to sell u stuff without the battery and other important bits. Id stick to big name chains if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Arse.... I might run down and get the Gretsky bundle before I head to the airport so... That extra $50CAD could save me from some disappointment tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gamestop might be an okay choice, but if you are up for a trip then 'Sam's club' near Burlington New Jersey (1 hour train to Trenton and then a cab perhaps)... there was a good few left when i was there over last week... it was a special pack with 2 games and a ton of accessories for about 319 dollars before tax... but Sams is like a wholesaler and tax is light on the ground.

Well you will have to pay sales tax in NYC on top of the retial price so you may not save that much in the long run. Flog Gretzky on ebay for 20 or 30 euro and you will break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

wouldnt he have to pay to join sam's club to make the purchase?

anyway, i was in target and walmart yesterday, piles of psp's, but im in NC...

ShevY wrote:
    wouldnt he have to pay to join sam's club to make the purchase?

anyway, i was in target and walmart yesterday, piles of psp's, but im in NC...

Sadly true and a fact i overlooked, Sam's Club needs a card to enter... sorry.
    Didnt venture into Walmart but i did see some in the Target beside Kohl's and Dick's in Burlington too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

How much is the PSP in the states, $250? whats this sales tax your on about?

I have a mate coming over from the states soon and I want him to pick up a few games for me, games should be easy to get, ye?

• Advertisement

Well this is what i saw...

PSP.jpg

Thats it with 2 games and a few accessories...

note the $319.95 pricetag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If I'm ever looking for anything electronic in New York, I go to the B&H SuperStore at 9th Avenue and W33rd St. There are too many dodgy little places waiting for tourists.

B&H generally throw in European/UK adapters too. Helpful staff, and a shopping experience.

whats this sales tax your on about?

Its the same as VAT except they add it at the till so the price you see on the disply dosn't include the sales tax. Its location specfic so the tax rate in NYC is not the same as in NJ or other part sof the US. NYC is about 8.5% I think. Worth keeping in mind when buying stuff over there.

We (ireland) do the decent thing and refund tax/VAT to tourists but the Americans/NYC don't (at least iv never been able to get my tax back over there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

re. PSPs in New york, they have them everywhere.
    prices range from $250 to $450 plus tax.
    toys r us is where i got mine at $250.
    B+H were charging $320, they included some metal case thing and a screen protector, but i saw the case in toys r us for $10 and i saw the protector was worth about the same, so a bit of a rip off, but they were good about taking it back, as i only saw the one in toys r us after i had bought one in B+H.

Advertisement