Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP setup question

Options
  • 06-04-2005 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I have my static IP now but need some help configuring it so it links to my website name.
    I have my site up as far as I can tell but it seems to be coming through on the Router/Gateway LAN IP address of 192.168.1.1 which is the IP I normally use to configure the router... Can't get into the router configuration now at all but this happened before and I just unplugged it and hit the reset button and then its accessible again. Hair wearing thin...
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Paul.K

Have you got your DNS servers pointing to the static ip address? Also is your port open for port 80?

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Paul.K wrote:
    DNS servers Also is your port open for port 80?

Paul.

Hi Paul, Yes I have my port open to 80 (http), also to ftp. As for DNS, I am hosting the site on my own Server. Stupid Q. maybe but can I create a DNS of my own or can I use the ones I got from Eircom? i.e. Preffered DNS server and Alternate DNS server. I have ip addresses for both of these as Eircom is my Service provider (internet) and I have them in my TCP/IP properties box.

Cheers
    Del

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Can you explain a little more , I am having bit of trouble understanding what you mean. Is it a static IP from eircom or a Private Static your talking about?

Webmonkey

EDIT: Just read post above this one. Ok so you have a IP from Eircom, this IP is set on your machine and you want this IP to link to your website. I amn't quite sure about Static IPs from Server Providers but if you have that IP assigned to your computer. Then you shouldn't be able to contact the router, Your on a different Network. Can you go out on the internet, if you can thats another story then.
    DNS should only be required for domains, boards.ie etc, you should still be able to get into your server through the IP directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hmm.. Bit of confusion here.

If you got a static public IP from eircom then it's fairly straightforward.

You give your dsl router's external interface the public, static IP. You keep the 192.168.1.1 ip for your internal network.

Pick an ip for your internal machine running http & ftp servers. A private ip in the range above, 192.168.1.x. On the router, configure port mapping, or reverse NAT. Point the ports 80 and 21 to your internal machine.

So if you browse to your static IP, your website should appear. Grand. Now if you want to have a domain name associated with this IP, you need to purchase the domain name, and have a DNS provider associate your IP with the name. This service will usually be offered by the person you purchase the domain from. Try somewhere like joker.com or there are plenty of ones around that will do it for you.

Gav

Verb wrote:
    Hmm.. Bit of confusion here.

If you got a static public IP from eircom then it's fairly straightforward.

You give your dsl router's external interface the public, static IP. You keep the 192.168.1.1 ip for your internal network.
    Gav

Firstly, I did get a Static IP from Eircom.

Secondly, I have a Linksys Router but it isn't a dsl modem also. The modem is the bog standard (dsl) Netopia one from Eircom. When this was originally set up it was reachable on that 192.168.1.1 ip address but since then I have my wireless Linksys router/gateway plugged into the Netopia modem and it (the router) has taken the 192.168.1.1 ip address for itself.
    So, what and where is my static ip address assigned to in this case?
    Verb wrote:
    Pick an ip for your internal machine running http & ftp servers. A private ip in the range above, 192.168.1.x. On the router, configure port mapping, or reverse NAT. Point the ports 80 and 21 to your internal machine.

Did that when I networked the 3 machines via the wireless Linksys. The servers (my spare pc) ip is 192.168.1.101. Tried configuring the router to that but what happens is the Ip address i have to input to visibly see the "server" ends up being 192.168.1.1. This in turn means that I can no longer access the Router Configuration menu as the "server" has stolen its IP address...
    Verb wrote:
    So if you browse to your static IP, your website should appear.

Yes it does as above.
    Verb wrote:
    Now if you want to have a domain name associated with this IP, you need to purchase the domain name.

Have done that already. www.yeah-i-know.com.
    Verb wrote:
    and have a DNS provider associate your IP with the name.

Du they charge for this service? The company I registered the domain with was Novara IT. They are an Irish firm. Would they do this for nothing and what exactly is it they do?

Lots of questions hey.. I'm more trouble than I'm worth I'd say lol :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

A DNS provider maps host names (such as www.yeah-i-know.com) to ip addresses. Typically there is a small charge for providing DNS for your domain name. Ask Novara if they charge for providing DNS. Zoneedit appear to offer it free for up to 5 domains and Granitecanyon free for an unlimited number of domains. If you go with Zoneedit or Granitecanyon, you'll need to contact Novara and ask them to update the DNS server entries for your domain to those specified by Zoneedit or Granitecanyon.

You could install DNS software and provide your own DNS for your domain. I'm not sure if ICANN allow both primary DNS and secondary DNS to be at the same ip address - contact Novara and ask. (if not, you can provide the primary DNS and arrange with someone else to provide secondary DNS)

The DNS server entries for your domain are currently listed as knox.host.ie and quark.host.ie but I'm not getting any answer from them at this time. They might be non-operational hosts used for registration only.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;yeah-i-know.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    yeah-i-know.com. 172800 IN NS knox.host.ie.
    yeah-i-know.com. 172800 IN NS quark.host.ie.

Snowbat wrote:
    A DNS provider maps host names (such as www.yeah-i-know.com) to ip addresses. Typically there is a small charge for providing DNS for your domain name. Ask Novara if they charge for providing DNS. Zoneedit appear to offer it free for up to 5 domains and Granitecanyon free for an unlimited number of domains. If you go with Zoneedit or Granitecanyon, you'll need to contact Novara and ask them to update the DNS entries for your domain to those specified by Zoneedit or Granitecanyon.

You could install DNS software and provide your own DNS for your domain. I'm not sure if ICANN allow both primary DNS and secondary DNS to point to the same ip address - contact Novara and ask. (if not, you can provide the primary DNS and arrange with someone else to provide your secondary DNS)

The DNS servers for your domain are currently pointing at knox.host.ie and quark.host.ie but I'm not getting any answer from them at this time. They might be non-operational hosts used for registration only.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;yeah-i-know.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    yeah-i-know.com. 172800 IN NS knox.host.ie.
    yeah-i-know.com. 172800 IN NS quark.host.ie.

Excellent! "Somebody buy this man a pint"! :D
    Thats pretty much all I needed Snowbat.
    Cheers my friend. ;)

Advertisement