Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sash Windows

• 06-04-2005 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Im looking for some suggestions of where to get sliding sash windows. I want the clad type, wood inside/aluminium or PVC/Fibrex outside.

I have a quote from Marvin. Really good window but expensive.
    I also got quotes from some PVCu guys. The windows are not really up to scratch, the georgian bars only get stuck on and look shoody. Also they were almost the same price as Marvin.
    Have sent plans to a crowd called Anderson, look really good similar to Marvin. He reckons he'll also be cheaper than Marvin.

So is there anyone else out there that does a good sliding sash thats relatively maintenance free on the outside.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Wobs,

My limited experience with alumimiun clad windows is they can be very expensive when you go off standard.

A very good quality window is available from a company called Lowen, I expect they are .com but google should get you a result.

Some of the manufacturers use timber of questionable quality expecting the cladding to cover everything, so look more than once at the product then start considering the prices.

There are some good manufacturers here who make sash windows using treated timber, I know that means painting but there are worse things in life like needing replacement windows in ten years ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete, Wobs,

I suppose most peoples belief is that timber sliding sash windows, is that they are draughty, and awkward to open when they stick, and are single glazed and cold.

The modern availabilities og high spec excluders, woolpiles and parflip sliding beads, have made all the problems associated with traditional sliding sash windows redundant. The fitting of the commonplace spiral balance that replaces the sash cord has made the opening of a sliding sash effortless. The parflip bead between the sashes gives a smooth operation during opening.

Indeed I have replaced aluminium clad, pvc sliding sashes in Dublin with traditional timber sliding sash windows, due to the planning requirements not being met by the other products.

With tilt and open fittings, and modern day finishes, maintainence should be easy and kept to an acceptable level.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Guys,

As I have yet to start building Im able to go for standard sizes, thank God, I'd hate to see the off standard prices. I guess there's no harm in getting a few quotes for the treated timber just to compare.

I had seen Lowen in a magazine alright, will check them out. So who would be good for the treated timber? Planning is not a problem, its just that the Missus wants them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DannyI

Hi,
    My sister got Marvin windows a few years ago which she was very happy with so we decided to get the same on her advice. We recently got the aluminium sliding sash installed and are thrilled with them:). They were a little more expensive then most but we're not planning to do it again any time soon so we felt they were worth the investment. Also have to say the service to date has been excellent -the salesperson was very helpful and said we can contact her at any time regarding any issues. I'm surprised to have read such negative comments as we've had a very good experience overall and would definitely recommend them if the budget can stretch.

Advertisement