Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell Me About Ireland and The Irish

Options
  • 06-04-2005 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I've noticed that alot of people bad mouth Dublin, etc. Is this not a city/country worth visiting? Is there much discrimination/prejudice in Ireland? Is it expensive to live there? Anything else you might want to tell me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

This query is probably better off in the humanities forum under the soc cat. Feedback is mainly for feedback on the site and it users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

Thanks...how do you undo a thread? Or should I just repost it to your suggested forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can just repost to the correct forum. The admins will probably get round to deleting this thread, or else it will just slide off the front page when noone posts to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

paulcr wrote:
    I've noticed that alot of people bad mouth Dublin, etc. Is this not a city/country worth visiting? Is there much discrimination/prejudice in Ireland? Is it expensive to live there? Anything else you might want to tell me.

Well as Hobart has already pointed out, Irish people are pedantic and unhelpful if you don't follow all their rules properly ;)

Dublin is much like any European City. Its busy, fast moving and for the large part, anonymous. There are plenty of bars with lots of "craic" but you don't actually get many Irish people in these bars, generally its tourists. There are also bars where people will be frienly and talk, but they tend to be old mens bars and to be frank, these guys don't cra e who you are so long as they can recount their life stories to you over 5 pints of guinness.

If you want fun friendly Irish people and strangers being nice and chatty, go to Galway. They're still friendly there and not nearly as uppity as Dublin.

Some of the country in Ireland is untouched, unspoilt and beautiful. Alot of areas around Dublin and Galway are visual and historical masterpieces. Although, to be fair, you'll get that just about anywhere in the countryside.

Discrimination and prejudice are rife in Dublin (and Ireland in general) and mainly its because up until about 7 years ago the population of Ireland was 95% white roman catholic. The sudden surge in immigrant populations has brought out the nastier side of Irish people, but I reckon in a generation of two this will pass.

Dublin is in the top ten most expensive places to live in the world. I think it was number 6 at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

psi wrote:
    Well as Hobart has already pointed out, Irish people are pedantic and unhelpful if you don't follow all their rules properly ;)

Dublin is much like any European City. Its busy, fast moving and for the large part, anonymous. There are plenty of bars with lots of "craic" but you don't actually get many Irish people in these bars, generally its tourists. There are also bars where people will be frienly and talk, but they tend to be old mens bars and to be frank, these guys don't cra e who you are so long as they can recount their life stories to you over 5 pints of guinness.

If you want fun friendly Irish people and strangers being nice and chatty, go to Galway. They're still friendly there and not nearly as uppity as Dublin.

Some of the country in Ireland is untouched, unspoilt and beautiful. Alot of areas around Dublin and Galway are visual and historical masterpieces. Although, to be fair, you'll get that just about anywhere in the countryside.

Discrimination and prejudice are rife in Dublin (and Ireland in general) and mainly its because up until about 7 years ago the population of Ireland was 95% white roman catholic. The sudden surge in immigrant populations has brought out the nastier side of Irish people, but I reckon in a generation of two this will pass.

Dublin is in the top ten most expensive places to live in the world. I think it was number 6 at one stage.

Ignore the above "advice". I've always been of the impression that there would be no intolerance or racism in this country if it were not for the foreigners. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for multiculturism, but do it in your own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It has good things and bad things like any city. There is violence, there is descrimination, there is prejudice, but you'll find these in any city in the world. If you avoid the bad places, Dublin isn't so bad.

It is incredibly expensive though. If you're a young male, don't count on having your own place to live, or having a car (the insurance is far too expensive, and rent is through the roof).

If you're considering moving, I'd recommend a holiday first.

Advertisement