Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Media Player and DVD region

• 06-04-2005 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I am stupidly after setting the Windows Media Player region to Region 1 (the US) - just after I bought me a 5.1 surround sound card. Doh! It must be the 5th time I have done this, so now it won't let me change back to region 2.

Anyone know how to get around this?

I've downloaded VLC player and it plays the region 2 DVD's, but without the surround sound.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

AnyDVD changes regions I think have a look at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

May be a bigger problem than that Tom (have a look here btw)

Windows allows you five changes before locking. Separately your DVD hardware allows you five changes before locking (assuming you've not got one of the older RPC1 drives or have changed the firmware).

Have a look at the above page and either use the utility linked from that to find out if your hardware has locked as well or check in Control Panel-System-hardware tab-Device Manager-DVD/CD-ROM drives-(your drive)-advanced settings tab and see the bottom of the page to see whether the hardware is locked or not.

AnyDVD may well help as Ste- mentioned as well - I know I had it installed on my PC at some point and that must have been the reason as I hardly installed it for the laugh.

As an aside, if you're happy enough with the VLC player solution, it should support the surround sound if you've a proper AC3 filter installed (I'd have thought), though I know the windows version doesn't support DTS (the linux version does).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, you are right Sceptre, it's the drive itself.

I plugged in the external DVD burner, stuck in a DVD and it played without problem. I've located a firmware, ahem, upgrade for the internal drive, so I'll give flashing it a go.

In the mean time, I'll have a look at the AC3Filter, looks good, thanks for that.

Advertisement