Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs Committee

Options
  • 06-04-2005 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

So to get straight to the point...
    any boards members on a debs committee?
    what dya think of it? any comments/difficulties etc. etc. etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

i wasn't on the committee but was invloved in setting it up... but there were some problems when it was up and running with members not pulling their weight e.g. ringing places for quotes, making lists of students that have left etc. and people not going to meetings at lunch.

everything is already organised but the whole thing is really all down to 3 people, out of the 15 that are on the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

PaulMcG yeah know what you mean.. exact same thing happenin with us except its me and another person doin all the work the others dont give a schitze bout it!! and of course they'll be first to complain if anything goes wrong on the night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Well i know when it was set up there was democratic voting but because a particular few didnt get in it was changed!Is anyone not actually going to theirs?I'm the only one from my school tsk tsk!

we got all the 6th years together and then got the names of those interested in being on the committee, and the next day got all the sixth years to vote 6 lads and 6 girls from the names on the committee. then when we announced the 12 that got on it, there was the usual giving out e.g. someone saw someone filling out more than one ballot paper and they weren't in to vote. but we left it as it was!

now, the very ones that wanted to be on it for ages are doing nothing!

also, just wondering is your school giving the debs committee any support? we're getting nothing from ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Well our school doesn't have one yet. I think everyone forgot or something, cos nobody has heard anything about it. Only thing we have heard of is our grad night and that was just to get a rough idea of numbers going. Theres only like 8weeks tomorrow left..... this year flew by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

My Debs committee "mislaid" €800 of our money.

How much are you being charged btw?

well in our committe theres 3 headboys/girls, 6 senior prefects and 6 elected reps one from ech class are on the committee. total 15!!!! too many chefs and all....
    we get no support from school we do it all no thanks either, now and again the principle dictates..oops i mean makes [compulsory] suggestions that we have to follow regarding hotel, bar extensions etc. etc.
    THe bar is closing at 11.30 and we're not allowed have an extension!!!!
    theres quite a few not going in my year about 20 out of 135 which is alot i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

My Debs committee "mislaid" €800 of our money.
    rugby cheerleaders in our school "mislaid" all of our money in an off-licence.
    I'm on our grads board thing, no difficulties really, we booked ours in december and still got a good date,one you have the venue ring an entertainment organiser type person(golden pages) they'll organise everything, all you have to do is collect money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Scraggs wrote:
    well in our committe theres 3 headboys/girls, 6 senior prefects and 6 elected reps one from ech class are on the committee. total 15!!!! too many chefs and all....
    we get no support from school we do it all no thanks either, now and again the principle dictates..oops i mean makes [compulsory] suggestions that we have to follow regarding hotel, bar extensions etc. etc.
    THe bar is closing at 11.30 and we're not allowed have an extension!!!!
    theres quite a few not going in my year about 20 out of 135 which is alot i think
    Stinger!

Rumour is our bar will be open to 5AM
    Pity i'm only 17 (like that'll be a problem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im the chairman, it wasnt too much bother really, thing is costing €140, AFAIK we only have to organise venue (sorted) and bus (kinda sorted). Out of a pure fluke, a complete stroke of luck, we may have enought to pay for the committee members tickets (4+partners). What are the chances?!?!?! ;)

• Advertisement

well our chairman does SFA!!! its all left to the treasurer to do everything....ME! we're not allowed use an events organiser thingy coa the school had ''issues'' with one years ago so we have to organise the band dj and venue etc. ourselves!

by the way if any of ye are having trouble gettin money out of ur fellow students heres a good one [say as seriously as possible] 'we might have to cancel it due to lack of funding' it worked they brought in 2grand the next day!!!! [which i had to count and lodge]

o yeah tickets are 70 for two which is very reasonable i think

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Yeah, €70 is a pretty reasonable price. I'm not sure how much our tickets are going to be because our Debs committee hasn't let us know yet, which is a bit stupid. I'm on the Yearbook committee in my school - now THAT sucks

Fishie wrote:
    I'm on the Yearbook committee in my school - now THAT sucks

Oh don't get me started on the Yearbook.... I was Chairman of that last year and was editor aswell when our 'editor' changed schools and left me to do everything! After what happened last year Transition Years are over it this year!

the debs comittee does the yearbook also!!! hate hate hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Well our school doesn't have one yet. I think everyone forgot or something, cos nobody has heard anything about it. Only thing we have heard of is our grad night and that was just to get a rough idea of numbers going. Theres only like 8weeks tomorrow left..... this year flew by.

It maybe simmaler to how its done in my school Randomfella, its up to the students themselves to sort it out in mine. For example I just went round to 4 lads and asked them if they wanted to help me out.

We set the price to 60euro, will cover our tickets and therll probably be a bit of dosh left over at the end. not alot though

Advertisement