Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Screen In Dublin

• 06-04-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,497 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering what cinema goers would consider to have the best screen in Dublin.

For me it would have been the old i-max screen for sheer size and audio quality.
    Havent been to the cinema in a long long while but the forthcoming Sin City is one I have penciled in for definately "need to watch" on the big screen and want to know where will i get the best cinematic experience...sound in particular is important to me (am a bit of an audiophile).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ster Century no 1, comfort decent screen and sound.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've never been to Ster Century no 1, but I've heard great things about it, so I booked 5 tickets for Star Wars there. I always loved Savoy 1 / 2 for sheer size, comfortable seats etc. I have had terrible experiences in UGC, borked sound, out of focus, not to mention that the place seems to be built of cardboard; the noise from the other theatres can be really annoying. In fact UGC in general seems to be badly run imo :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Not to mention the overflowing toilets filled with ****... now that was classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Savoy Screen 1.

It's still the biggest isn't it? Although it used to be bigger back when the seats in screen 2 were actually a balcony looking onto screen 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

"Although it used to be bigger back when the seats in screen 2 were actually a balcony looking onto screen 1"

Really? I don't remember that. It must have been huge back then!

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote:
    "Although it used to be bigger back when the seats in screen 2 were actually a balcony looking onto screen 1"

Really? I don't remember that. It must have been huge back then!
    Oh, this is like back in the 50's or something....

EDIT : Actually it was in the early 70's that the split was made.

There is some more info here:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~cinemax/irish_cinema.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Remember the Ambassador's screen? That was cool. That was the only time I can remember being impressed by the actual room. I saw Pocahontas there and that's probably my earliest cinema memory, if I really think about it. Anyway that was cool. Can't say I'm really bothered about the screen a film is shown in.

Remember the Ambassador's screen? That was cool. That was the only time I can remember being impressed by the actual room. I saw Pocahontas there and that's probably my earliest cinema memory, if I really think about it. Anyway that was cool. Can't say I'm really bothered about the screen a film is shown in.
    Yes. Very nice looking. But the acoustics were horrible, lots of echoes.

Last film I saw there was The Frightners.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ster Century's main screen is very nice and Savoy 1 is still good. UGC screens can be theoretically good but I've noticed before that the projectionist often needs a smack across the mouth - ads, for example, are horribly out of focus and I've seen trailers where the subtitles were cut off the bottom because he wasn't projecting correctly.

I've also noticed lots of dirt on films - it irritated me during "Bullet Boy" for example and made "The Story of the Weeping Camel" almost unwatchable. Is this a case of UGC using crap prints or a case of them fracking up in the projection booth?

I'm not a big fan of the screens in the UGC.

The screens are all an exact size and the projection often bleeds off the sides, which is a big problem with films with subtitles or documentaries with captions.

oh.. and IFI Screen 2 has to be the worst cinema I have ever been in for leg room... your knees do be up by your ears.. ha... and it's not like I'm some freakishly tall wookie or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Any ster century screen i'm happy about, it's just a wonderful cinema altogether, only bad point, they DON'T do hotdogs!!!! why god why!!

Oh yeah, i can't compare to other cinemas really as i havent been to any others in a while, but the price of popcorn/drinks in ster century is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! like 4e for a small popcorn, wtf!!?? I wonder are they on commision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

bonzai bob wrote:
    Any ster century screen i'm happy about, it's just a wonderful cinema altogether, only bad point, they DON'T do hotdogs!!!! why god why!!

they don't clean the place as often as they should either !!!!!!!! Great cinema apart from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Oh, this is like back in the 50's or something....

EDIT : Actually it was in the early 70's that the split was made.

There is some more info here:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~cinemax/irish_cinema.htm

WOW !!!

My dad wrote that article nearly ten years ago... Didn't know it was jacked onto a site somewhere, I had it posted on my site in 1998.

iMax wrote:
    WOW !!!

My dad wrote that article nearly ten years ago... Didn't know it was jacked onto a site somewhere, I had it posted on my site in 1998.

Ha. really?

I just googled history of the Savoy and it came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Yeah, he was commissioned to write it for Box Office magazine in the US (trade mag). Haven't seen it in years, quite an interesting read (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

My faverate is UGC screan 17 i booked 27 tickets for episode 3 there should be great, bar and everything in that cinima and that gives it big points

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

When not being distracted by skangers, UCI Blanch has some decent screens. Sometimes they forget to widen the screen though and a couple of times films have been interupted. Ster is great for comfort but the sound isn't alway great. UGC is great for ameneties but the screens aren't great. Pity you can't mix and match to get the perfect cinema experience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ster Century is the best. Also, nothing better than to shoot a few zombies after a movie :cool:

The only thing I hate about ALL CINEMA's IN DUBLIN is that they no longer do popcorn butter :(

Advertisement