Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICO on PS2...

• 06-04-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

How good is this game and how rare. I ask because I saw a copy 2 days ago 2nd hand for EUR49. Is it an adventure game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/367472.asp?q=ico

Its not to rare. You will not see it in retail shops much but you should have no problem getting it if you look online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

When it came out first it was hard to find then, but in the following weeks a large amount started to turn up in 2nd hand bins around the country (at one point there were 4 in Game on Henry Street), ive not seen one in weeks though... online is an instant hit though, give Ebay a shot or Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

It is in my opinion, the best game on the ps2. Yes it is an adventure, but it's practically dialogue/cutscene free. It's hard to explain the game, it's incredibly simplistic in respect to the game gameplay, but it's fun. Yorda is one incredible piece of work, she rarely speaks-when she does it's in a language you don't understand, but still the game builds up enough character to make you want to save her from the castle and the shadows that are trying to capture her. Some would say it's the best example of art in the game industry, I can't agree but that's because I'm about as artistic as a carrot and wouldn't know......what I do know is that it's rare that a game is as compelling as this. It should be part of any ps2 owner's collection. I'm going to stop before I enter "rambling idiot" territory.

Not hard to find but the original copy with the art cards and the cardboard cover is-i think, whatever price you pay for the game it's worth getting. Also look out for shadow of the colossus towards the end of the year, second title from the same development team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Superb puzzle based 3rd person game.
    You play a little boy banished to a huge castle-like prison where he meets a spirit who he must lead to freedom.
    I really enjoyed playing through this title....the puzzles get progressively tougher and the demons who chase you get tougher to evade. Excellent plot twists, great graphics and haunting imagery abound....only downside to ICO is it's lack of real replay value; play through it twice and that's about it, really depends how long it takes you to clear it.
    I bought my copy for €20 clearance price and sold it on eBay a few months later for £32; must be harder to find in the UK or something...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A wonderful game. I finally got to play it 4 months ago and it ranks among my favourite games on PS2, probably my 2nd favourite game on the system. Its very simplistic and it ends a bit too early (but only so because you really want to play more of the game) however there is something really special about this game. The world and feel of the game is just so beautiful that some times you will spend time in a new room just admiring the attention to detail or watch Yorda acting quite naturally. The game creates one of the most beautiful game worlds I've ever seen in a game. It's up there with the panzer dragoon universe. It's the little details that are so striking about the game such as the jerk you feel when you run with Yorda hand in hand even though there is no vibration from the joypad.

I could go on forever about but just buy the game and play it. It really is more of an experience than a game.

Actually this game got me thinking about how RPGs would play if they had no annoying battles with 'cannon fodder' enemies and just let you experience the world that was created for them. It might make me not want to chew through the PS2 controller cable while sailing in suikoden 4.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's the little details that are so striking about the game such as the jerk you feel when you run with Yorda hand in hand even though there is no vibration from the joypad.

Heh...yeah i got that too now that I think of it.

Kinda OT...looked at a site for that Colossus game and it looks like it could rival ICO on the art/graphics front...I especially liked the bit where the lead developer mentioned about the new engine:
    There's a new engine - Ico was set in a rather confined environment. Wanda[Colossus] is a lot more open, and almost endless.
    That and someother snippets of info raised the drool factor considerably...

http://games.kikizo.com/features/shadowofthecolossus_interview_march05.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

there is one hidden away in dawson st. its the normal edition not limited. not reallyy hidden but you would have to look for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

among the best PS2 games..

you will pick it up on ebay quite easily

among the best PS2 games..

you will pick it up on ebay quite easily

UK ebay turned up 47 hits...prices seem to have dropped considerably since I sold mine; prolly to do with the replay value I mentioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I didn't like it that much myself. Can't see what the fuss is about at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

abccormac wrote:
    I didn't like it that much myself. Can't see what the fuss is about at all.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Maybe I'll have to give it another go, but I never felt compelled to play it after an hour or two. It just didn't grab me at all. When I bought it I had heard a lot about the game and I just didn't feel that it lived up to the reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just thinking about Ico.

Isn't the music that is used on the save game screen identical to the music when you are in a room with the merchant in Resident Evil 4?

Sounds like a similar style but icos is a little bit eh, jollier, for lack of a better word.

Advertisement