Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye Celestron?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

A Message from Joseph A. Lupica Jr., CEO of Celestron

As of today, Celestron has been acquired by Synta, a valued Celestron supplier for the past 15 years. Although there has been much speculation about the acquisition, the press release included below covers the most important aspects. This purchase is a very positive development for Celestron and will allow us to continue providing the best telescopes available on the market. The new owner is dedicated to growing Celestron's reputation for high-quality optics and we can assure you that product quality and value will only be enhanced by this acquisition.

http://www.celestron.com/news/index.htm

Synta seem a good brand, and are the makers of my 4" skywatcher Mak. which I'm very happy with. The plans for the moment are "business as usual" but time will tell. It cant be any worse than the last time celestron was taken over... by Tasco of all people...

For those that havent been following this. Meade and Celestron were trying to merge again but the FTC in the US said it would block it. Both companies were starting to have financial difficulties, but Meade seems in the stronger position already having plants outside the US in Mexico and affiliates/sources in China, and having yet to act on its acquisitions in the solar and riflescope market. Celestron was roumoured to be unable to continue in business without a buyout, so when the FTC ruled out a US merger, synta (or rather syntas US affiliate) stepped in to buy celestron.

Hopefully this will mean an end to the stupid regional monopolies of celestron, and better briced telescopes in Europe, something that Synta are already doing through skywatcher (the brand formerly known as Helios). Questions or comments to pr@celestron.com

Cheers,
    ~Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

So, that certain telescope shop in Dublin which tried to convince us Celestron was the way to go, really was trying to fool us all along... saying Meade were crap, and going out of business.

Unfortunately, Celestron had to cave in first. But, its not the end for them. The Chinese are very good manufacturers of just about everything, and are cheaper too, so it might be a saving grace for Celestron/Synta.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Can it only be good?
    For europeans I think so, better prices I am sure.
    Quality changes are a possibility though.....

Advertisement