Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much for 2MB/s Upgrade - My net is down

• 06-04-2005 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guys... Cant be long...Im on dial up now, so i am getting charged as i type :mad:

Basicall... M net had been strange over the last few days, starting on sunday... the DSL sync was flashing everynow and then on the modem ...Strange.. Then all of a sudden sunday night it wouldnt stop flasshing... I gave eircom a ring up then and they said my line has been upgraded to 2Mb And they would check there end and see is it there problem at teh exchange or anything... But man that was 3 days ago...I keep giving them a ring and they just say , We will let you know. How long is this gonna go on for , I am failry pissed at eircom, 2Mb connection or not i still am.

anybody know whats gonig on or how long i will be out of broadband for ? I cannot afford not to have it...Must get used about 12-13 hours a day in this house on all PC's... I really need it back up. Also on the phone they said if its not there problem at the exchange , We will send a technician out but i am almost sure she said " charged at 50-60 Euro an hour " WTF ??? It's not my problem..If i pay 45 Euro monthly or what ever it is , its up to them to keep it running... That is not on and i will argue that to them i am not being charged to fix my connection that has gone down for none of my reasons..

WTF is going on ... Im jsut stuck in the middle with these problems flying around me , I am so confused and pissed , i canot stand to be on dial up...

Any help what to do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Try unplugging every phone, modem, digibox, fax machine ect you have and then plug your dsl modem straight into the master socket without using filters or anything and see does it sync up. It could be something in your house or a dodgy microfilter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Oh ye sorry ...forgot to mention that ... They asked me to do that when i phoned them and still the same constant flash on DSl sync

Also over the phone he told me to do a few other things liek reset the modem... And he did some stuff from his seat and made my DSL sync flash as he did it and stuff liek that no go...

Then they said ok we will send in ure problems to the exchange and see is it our problem from our end, If not they will send in a technicion to my house...

But what exactly would a technicion do in my house that would be needed to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

i've had this problem as well nets been down since saturday ay 12.30 am logged a call on monday said oh we'll have to charge you for a callout(company line so i said ok).. called backa few mins later and asked if it's to do with the upgrades over the weekend, they said oh no not at all..
    called back tuesday for a update was told my port on the exchange was blown and that a engineer would be out to repair it..
    caalled all day yesterday finally gotr on to my account manager and got it repaired this mornin..

they tried to tell me yesterday that nothign was wrong with my line one minute then i asked about the blown port and they were like, oh yeah we'll send out a techie to repair..

took 5 days to get fully sorted but sorted none the less thinking of getting another line in here now to back up when eircom ****s up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

HEy....Did u get charged in the end of the fix ? And how lnog does it take when the technicion comes to the house to rpair it...As i am in a state of emercency nearly Without it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

If possible, can you post your "line noise" and "line attenuation" figures. If you have a look around your web admin pages for the modem (usually http://192.168.1.154/ for Eircom ADSL modems) it should mention it somewhere.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=243509

My dsl has been down since last friday too. See my thread here.

Luckily digiweb will pay for any eircom repair charges and may even refund me for my downtime. What really rankles is having to pay Eircom call charges for dialup in the meantime!

By the way here are my DSL line diagnostics (I'm not sure what they mean but at a guess I'd say it isn't good!) All my settings are fine.

ATM loopback test: failed
    Upstream/Downstream Noise Margin: asdl modem not set up

Hi,

digitaldr - If Digiweb or Eircom are looking into it then there's nothing I can suggest, you may have a more serious problem with your line - especially if your ADSL modem doesn't show "line noise" or "line attenuation" figures.

These figures are usually a sign of how good or bad the quality of your phone line is. As the speeds of ADSL increase, people with bad phone lines (or who live many kilometers away from their phone exchange) will run into problems.

- Neil

Hi Neil,

you've got me worried there! Unfortunately I didn't check my line noise pre-upgrade. By the way I tried out the main phone socket too - no joy. On the other hand my neighbour across the road is on Eircom broadband and has no problems (1st 4 digits of their phone number are the same as mine). If things don't work out I guess SMART might still be an option though as I've read that their service can work at a greater distance from the exchange. Maybe it'll have to be Irish Broadband wireless - another neighbour has it.

Hi,

If you're getting your line repaired, then whatever problem it has should be fixed soon. Btw, switiching to another DSL provider won't fix the problem ;)

Out of interest, why are you thinking of switching?

- Neil

Digiweb tell me that Eircom claim it's not a line fault (although myself and the digiweb tech support person think it probably is) and that they'll be sending an engineer out to the house - good knows how long that'll take!Thinking of changing to smart because free line rental, faster speed and I believe they have their own equipment in the exchanges and only rely on Eircom for the "last mile".

• Advertisement

Hi,

Hopefully an engineer will arrive soon - it took only a couple of days last time I required one.

In relation to Smart Telecom, even though they will have their own link to the exchange, if your line is bad - you'll still have problems with ADSL or ADSL2 (which Smart Telecom are roling out).

- Neil

Advertisement