Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor home

Options
  • 06-04-2005 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Do we have any motorhome owners here?

I'm thinking of getting one, to be ready for next summer. I'm browsing the web and, to be honest, there's alot out there. Alot of brands I've never heard of etc etc. Millions of internal layouts.

I know that most of them are based on Peugeot, FIAT etc and just modified.

What I am looking for is info on:

mid 90's
    5-6 berth
    preferably 2.5 Diesel
    Coach, but would like A class if possible, but I doubt budget will stretch to it!
    top price about €23-25k at a dealer, based on the fact I might get it down lower.

I would prefer something that has dining just behind the cabin, so that the child seats are closeby.

Anybody any comments or advice?

Are there any particular brands to stay away from? either the base chassis/engine or the conversion?

I have seen a 1990 A Class "Hymer B545" with 65k on it for €18500, but it has a 2.0petrol which might be a bit weak for something that big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Paul (MN) wrote:
    Do we have any motorhome owners here?

No, but one friend bought one, another made one!

The only advise I would have is to look towards continental europe as they are a lot cheaper there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Import from belguim (no vrt if over 3 tonne) my parents usually buy from this crowd http://www.vanomobil.com/
    P.M. me for more details if you want to go this route , you'll save a packet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Which Motorhome?
    My dad has owned a few, and he's building his own at the moment.
    Fecker never let me get insured on it though, would have been great for road trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Paul(MN),

I would suggest that you get in touch with The Motor Caravan Club Of Ireland - they should be able to provide plent of pointers/info.

Motorhomes seem v expensive to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

They do seem expensive, but they tend to hold their value quite well after a while.

Also, if I go to France peak season, I reckon using a motorhome can save abut €1000-€1500 off the price of the holiday, so it kindof cancels out.

I'm currently getting a group of 2-3 family members to go part share. Should be fine as you just split the peak season into 3 1-month slots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

Re importing...

Yes if it is over 3000KG you have a flat rate VRT of about €80, BUT 3000kg is the unladen weight of the camper. You have to add in 100litres of water, 2 gas canisters, 4 bodies, food, clothing, bikes etc etc etc. You also have to leave room for wine coming back!

All this can very very easily push you over 3500, which is my licence limit.

So I reckon I'll have to import something with an unladen weight of 2500-2800kg and ay VRT of 13.5%

Advertisement