Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband upped to 2Mbit, but stilled capped at 8GB???

Options
  • 06-04-2005 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

As I presume you all know, eircom, no doubt in response to SmartTelecom's aggressive marketing, have matched the latter's offer and as of this week are providing us Eircom Broadband users 2Mbit lines for dl at least.

My question is, does my 8GB limit, as a homeplus subscriber, remain in force. And if so how ridiculous is this???? By my calculations I can use my entire month's dl allowance in:

(assuming optimum dl environment)

2000Mbits/s = 250kb/s

250kb/s = 1MB every 4s

1MB every 4s = 15MB / minute = 900MB / hour

This means a monthly 8 gig cap can be used in under 8 hours!!!!

Please tell me I am wrong, as I have been unable to clarify this point with eircom by phone or online.

Thanks,

Inqui

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

250kbps = 1Megabit per second, not one Megabyte, which is an order of magnitude in difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

8 bits in a byte old chap!

least last time I looked? Google it, humour me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The download speed is 250k/Bs per second (though more like 200k/Bs).

That is indeed 1MB every 4 seconds (more like 5).

15MB a minute.

900MB an hour.

8.1GB in 8 hours.

but realistically more like 11 hours.

Am I still capped at 8GB? anyone confirm the ludicrousness of the Increased bandwidth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah. Sorry, I misread the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Inquitus wrote:
    Am I still capped at 8GB? anyone confirm the ludicrousness of the Increased bandwidth?

Eicom home plus has gone to 16GB.

I know that, thanks...

However, 1Mbps = 1024 bits in a second. 1MBps = 1024 bytes in a second. See the difference?

Talk about splitting hairs FFS, when the calculation is in fact sound and corresponds to exactly what eircom have done........save for a couPLE of CAps in the WroNg PlaCE!!!!!!!!!

Arabel wrote:
    Eicom home plus has gone to 16GB.

so 24 hours of FTP dl and yer done for the month........when will Smart Telecom reach Swords??????

Nice response Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If you feel especially daring, €ircon havent charged anyone for going over the cap yet. However they do reserve the right to back charge anyone.

You should see my stats 60Gb a month for 15 months ...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

So you've downloaded that much without being charged?! Oh and is it just me or can no1 check there stats since the speeds increased?! If theres a different way can some1 tell me how!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I just checked UTV there a while ago and their base product is still 8GB. I moved a couple months ago and cancelled; just about to move into my new place, and they have sfa chance of getting me back now. What the hell is happening in that company, it's falling apart at the seams!

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

dahamsta wrote:
    I just checked UTV there a while ago and their base product is still 8GB. I moved a couple months ago and cancelled; just about to move into my new place, and they have sfa chance of getting me back now. What the hell is happening in that company, it's falling apart at the seams!

adam
    yeah, they've gone from having the best Customer Care of all the Telco's, even coming on here to help out, to being a total pain in the ass to deal with. They didn't even bother updating their site till AFTER the speed upgrade. Only for the fact I've another 9 months on contract with them, I'd be off to either Smart or BT.

I'm at a loss what do to tbh. UTV are a no-no for the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't touch BT with a bargepole, ditto Eircom, I've never been a fan of Netsource, Smart aren't in my exchange, I can't get wireless, and satellite is not an option. Plus when I do finally settle on a provider, I'll be stuck with an utterly retarded 128k upstream.

I thought the market was supposed to be improving? All I can see a bunch of incompetent robbing bastards that get worse by the minute.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

All I can see a bunch of incompetent robbing bastards that get worse by the minute.

So no change there then.

NTL? I realise this is a bit ironic given the quote above...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

IOL are doing rolling monthly contracts now, so they're handy if you're expecting smart/ntl/whatever to be able to offer something to you in a few months and you're looking for a stopgap measure. Otherwise... I dunno. Set up BeacherNet :p

Moriarty wrote:
    IOL are doing rolling monthly contracts now, so they're handy if you're expecting smart/ntl/whatever to be able to offer something to you in a few months and you're looking for a stopgap measure.
    I was thinking of doing that with the Eircom offer for simplicity and a speedy install, but I'd be concerned about switching later. They still don't have a transparent switching process, right?
    Otherwise... I dunno. Set up BeacherNet
    It's Beecher, you insensitive clod! And I did, I just don't provide those services. :)

dam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm at a loss what do to tbh. UTV are a no-no for the reasons mentioned above, ................................

adam

It is extraordinary what has happened with UTV. In the support group people have been pleading with them almost daily to improve their products (and customer service) and giving them free market research too as to what type of products they should be offering, prices etc. But no response - this is very strange in that it was mentioned a few months ago in the support group by a UTV rep that they had been watching Smart closely.

Advertisement