Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P to P Mirc has stopped working after Eircom bandwidth upgrade - any suggestions?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

I can no longer serve files over P to P offering, Mirc, is this related to Eircom's bandwidth upgrade, and has anyone else notice this.

NB All files are freeware and non-copyrighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Yes. Apparently they put in some firmware upgrade (and by all accounts it didn't go too well for them on account of lack of preperation and testing and caused major performance and throughput issues but that’s another story) and the objective of this firmware upgrade is to fkuc up your P2P. Being the good citizens that they are, eircom abhor piracy. And of course having a listing in NY makes it even more urgent that they bow to the possibility of american copyright owners taking offence to them being an enabler of shock horror "piracy"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I do notice on mIRC since the upgrade that the speed of downloading seems to be staying at around 50K.

Bit strange considering the 2MB line. Anyone else experiencing slow downloads on mIRC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

De Rebel wrote:
    Yes. Apparently they put in some firmware upgrade (and by all accounts it didn't go too well for them on account of lack of preperation and testing and caused major performance and throughput issues but that’s another story) and the objective of this firmware upgrade is to fkuc up your P2P. Being the good citizens that they are, eircom abhor piracy. And of course having a listing in NY makes it even more urgent that they bow to the possibility of american copyright owners taking offence to them being an enabler of shock horror "piracy"

Were did you hear this if you dont mind me asking?

LoGiE wrote:
    Were did you hear this if you dont mind me asking?

A little(ish) bird.

Why?

I've been upgraded to 2MB and have had no problems with any P2P program. Torrents regularly go over 120KB -150KB and Limewire is the same. How exactly would this firmware work anyway?

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote:
    I've been upgraded to 2MB and have had no problems with any P2P program. Torrents regularly go over 120KB -150KB and Limewire is the same.

Is your stuff legal or the other sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

basquille wrote:
    I do notice on mIRC since the upgrade that the speed of downloading seems to be staying at around 50K.

Bit strange considering the 2MB line. Anyone else experiencing slow downloads on mIRC?

No major problems here. Remember that the XDCC servers usually have their own upload speed cap in place. I was getting a steady 90-100K download on one file I tried just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. the XDCC server's typically do have their own upload cap. That's what i was thinking myself.

Cheers plazz

De Rebel wrote:
    Is your stuff legal or the other sort?

Both to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I heard the same regarding eircom and their p2p software. :|

Soon they'll be watching everything you do on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I wonder if this info is coming from the same reliable sources who have claimed that Eircom is going to start charging for going over the caps for the last year or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Regarding the firware upgrade, it is only installed by the user but if you did install it you will find that there is now a proper Hardware firewall on the Netopia modem.

In order to use programs like file sharing, yahoo etc you need to tell the firewall to open those ports.

If you connect to 192.168.1.254 you should see all the new screens.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Regarding the firware upgrade, it is only installed by the user but if you did install it you will find that there is now a proper Hardware firewall on the Netopia modem.

These are firmware upgrades on the network not on the modem, yes I heard some mutterings that monitoring software has messed up throughput. I think the original posters Mirc issues are just coincidence though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I'd suspect this is something to do with Eircom's new Broadband Guardian monitoring system.

Killian

Eircom's new Broadband Guardian monitoring system looks more like net nanny imo Link. If they want to stop p2p they could block or throttle ports, but then again any prog worth its salt will let you change your port settings. Prehaps either damien.m or De Rebel can give us a little bit more detail on exactly what this network upgrade is supposed to do and how it does it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moving to Net/Comms...

Be aware, of course, that any such accounts of eircom installing such firmware are hearsay.

.cg (still getting nowhere near full capacity from 4Mb line)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Regarding the Firewall. This is one the modem and not part of the network upgrade.

As part of the process of setting up Guardian, it required a firmware upgrade to the modem. This installs a new EIRCOM interfase on the modem and turns on the firewall that was always there but which used to require you to purchase a key from Netopia.

I have run "ShieldsUp" and the firewall is working well and i am no longer on Eircom Guardain so speeds have gone up to their normal 900+Kbps.

It is still possible to go back to the old firmware. (Available in Eircom Support) and that turns off the firewall again.

Hope this clears things up.

Shane

Advertisement