Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NeedinThaHelpWitThaPerlAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Options
  • 18-04-2001 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ok um....basically, I'm learnin Perl atm...so I bought me sum boox aaaight? Ok, well...I'm pretty well clued in on the language now but 1 thing....

!!! HOW THA BLOODY HELL DO I USE THA BLOODY STUPID THING GODAMMIT !!!

I'm ok...I'm ok...But seriously though (haha), I downloaded Apache v 1.3.19, but after lots of failed attempts at runnin scripts with that server I've given up. So I'm now lookin to test them online, preferably on a Unix system...but can any1 plz tell me how to go about doin this? I have accounts wit lotsa hosts, sum of which (Hypermart for example) state that they allow CGI...but how the hell do I upload the files? Use Telnet? I'm running Windows 98 btw and have written a good lot of programs for online purposes, but can only test them in DOS Windows...

...so to conclude this nonsense post, plz sum1 HELP ME USE MY SCRIPTS!!!!

Ph*k Da Kid....I'm Da Man...man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

try using ftp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

You are a pretty scary little boy.

I suggest you find out how to upload to your cgi bin which should be in the help files somewhere on their servers, I have never used that hypermart host so I can't give you specifics but if you like I could try to help you out with your problems on your home pc (with the apache server) as I got scripts working with that before (not many mind you).

Also most hosts that give you cgi access usually only allow you use their scripts which is of course cheating. bapstards. so anyways thats the best I can do for you.

Baz_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Apache provide excellent online manuals for setting the server up and running your scripts.

Just remember when you create your cgi-bin directory to set the permissions on it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well the most important thing with perl/cgi is to make sure your scripts are executable, chmod 750 <filename> should do the trick (in unix anyway, most other os's have a graphical way of doing this, usually in the files properties somewhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robbie Burke

Get the NuSphere MySQL Package, which, installs the latest builds of Apache, PHP, MySQL and Perl all integrated nicely for you, you can install it on a Windows box, and, any script will run in Windows, Windows does not have a 'do-not-execute' attribute like all *NIX systems, i.e nothing is secret.

if, you want to run your scripts online, make sure your cgi-bin is set at 755, the script is set at 755, and, the most important thing swhich no-one else mentioned UPLOAD ALL SCRIPTS IN ASCII MODE (text mode), because, if up[loaded in binary, they are interperted by Perl as a binary file and they wont bloody work!!!!

#!/usr/bin/blah

foreach $day @life;
    do {$work} unless (($asleep eq 'zzzz') || (day eq ('saturday|sunday')));
    next $day;

• Advertisement

Oh, and ya ain't Ali G so don't gop around talking like him...foolish child, and in yopur post you state 'your pretty weel clued in on the language now', child, you learn to upload in ASCII before you even write the obligatory Hello World! program...its obvious your a lying fool.

Also, one other thing, make sure you have the rigth shebang line (you know what that is right? it is also an elementary part of Perl) and, it is good practice to have -w after your shebang, and, make sure you write using use strict(); you of course know what that is aswell, seens as your 'clued in' and all.

p.s there is one purposeful mistake in this post, which, if you are 'clued in' you will notice, otherwise, it just proves you were lying about being 'clued in'...

#!/usr/bin/blah

foreach $day @life;
    do {$work} unless (($asleep eq 'zzzz') || (day eq ('saturday|sunday')));
    next $day;

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Robbie Burke:
    child, you learn to upload in ASCII before you even write the obligatory Hello World! program...its obvious your a lying fool.</font>

Not necessarily, it's quite possible to write scripts without ever having to transfer them to other machines. Or, if you were, to not need ASCII mode ftp, assuming that someone was using ftp in the first place.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Also, one other thing, make sure you have the rigth shebang line (you know what that is right? it is also an elementary part of Perl)
    </font>

Nope, it's an elementary part of UNIX.
    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?shebang

In certain cases, apache may even be set up in such a way that #! will not be required to execute the perl interpreter.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and, it is good practice to have -w after your shebang, and, make sure you write using use strict(); you of course know what that is aswell, seens as your 'clued in' and all.</font>

I'd advocate use of -Tw (switches on Taint mode also).

X_OR,

Some extremely valid points, however, it was quite clear he was uploading his scripts, I also outlined that he would not need to set persmissions or transfer modes if he was doing it on a local machine.

I do know what -T is thank you very much smile.gif I just thought that maybe one switch at a time should be enough.

I never stated the shebang wasn't an elementary part of *NIX, most Unix clones use it for example, (Linux to name just one).

The reasons for me making my assumptions were that he stated he had 'accounts with lotsa hosts' ad he named Hypermart, which my post is perfect for as before I got a second UNIX box for testing, I used them for all my testing purposes. If he followed my post, he would have gotten along fine. If he followed yours he would have gotten on equally as well if not better.

Some extremely valid points, however, it was quite clear he was uploading his scripts, I also outlined that he would not need to set persmissions or transfer modes if he was doing it on a local machine.</font>

Yeah, I'm just saying that not having had to upload scripts before, doesn't mean that he doesn't know much perl, like you were suggesting.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I never stated the shebang wasn't an elementary part of *NIX, most Unix clones use it for example, (Linux to name just one).</font>

I'm just saying it's not really a perl thing. Any scripting language (sh, ksh, python, etc) can make use of it on UNIX.

As for -T, I guessed that you were aware of what it did, but I'd still recommend it along with -w to help a scripter (even a beginner) become aware of what data is trusted and untrusted and to differentiate between the two. CGI is where most programmers create their first security holes nowadays.

Can't argue with any of those points smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah, I'm just saying that not having had to upload scripts before, doesn't mean that he doesn't know much perl, like you were suggesting.</font>

I suppose I was a bit hard on the chap, I just dislkied his 'I am a white ass ghetto punk who wants to be Ali G' attitude.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As for -T, I guessed that you were aware of what it did, but I'd still recommend it along with -w to help a scripter (even a beginner) become aware of what data is trusted and untrusted and to differentiate between the two. CGI is where most programmers create their first security holes nowadays.
    </font>

Now I am just being cheeky, but, CGI and Perl, although often associated, are not strictly the same language, far from it in fact...ignore my cheekiness tongue.gifsmile.gif

#!/usr/bin/blah

foreach $mistake @newbies;
    do {$flame} unless (($attitude eq 'happy') || (mistake eq ('impossible|veryhard')));
    next $mistake;

• Advertisement

Now I am just being cheeky, but, CGI and Perl, although often associated, are not strictly the same language, far from it in fact...ignore my cheekiness tongue.gifsmile.gif
    </font>

Hahaha, you're just trying to wind me up now :P. I wasn't suggesting they were, my point about CGI wasn't related to perl in particular, or even CGI in particular really. In fact, what I should have said is "dynamic web scripts is where most beginning programmers open their first security holes".

Or, more to the point, CGI isn't a language wink.gif

Well regardless of how he talks I think you came down on him unnecissarily hard on him he came here looking for information not to feel the wrath of robbie burke, or anyone I would imagine. If you can help do, if you can't do it in a nice way (for example above in your second post) don't bother.

What happened to you anyway you were all civil in your first post and then you slam the fu<k out of the lad, and for what because you were irritated by the way he talked, that requires one line of a slamming like in my post above.

Oh and one other thing he hasn't even replied since, that's not to say he hasn't come back since but it's unlikely, that hes been back and not replied so its probably a waste of your time, on a person you dont like, to give that advice ah well ho hum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you were all civil in your first post</font>

me? civil? never!

I only came down hard on him because I *felt* he was lying, for all I know he could be Randal Schwartz(sp? i can't be bothered to go to the book press and fine his name) in disguise.

Anyways, all the info he needs is below

::> Proper Shebang Line
    ::> Upload in ASCII Mode
    ::> .pl/.cgi files chmodded 755
    ::> Any data files for your scripts can generally be set at 666
    ::> Make sure you use absolute paths when necessary

Thats basically all he needs. I am sure X_OR will add to that (i.e -wT) smile.gif

Anyways, good luck 'Da Kid' on any scripts you write or have written.

Sorry if I came down hard on ya, but, seriously, drop the Ali G attitude, its even worse on 'tha' net than in real life.

He probably has come back but has been too lazy and ungrateful to reply with a simple 'Thanks to all who helped' <:: See, only one line slam tongue.gif

Anyways, if he does end up reading this, your welcome kiddo.

thats much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Da Kid

Um.....ok.....yes.....well thanks for '>> THA <<' replies '>> Y'ALL <<', hopefully '>> DAT ISH <<' 'll help and I'm grateful n all. Oh and to Robbie what's his face -- thank you...oh and 1 more thing, as a matter of fact I'm black n I'll talk however tha phuk I wanna talk ok? Just coz I'm Irish I have to be victim to your stupid phukin assumptions...plus you'll prolly reply to this in about 2 seconds anyway with some long thought out response picking at every single statement I made...jesus it's the internet ok take it easy, take a smoke, jack off...whatever just loosen tha phuk up...oh n thanks again ;0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Da Kid

I'm 16 and from Dublin...my Mom's from here but my Dad's from Chicago, so I pick up some of his ways n stuff...oh and u'd be surprised how many black Irish ppl there are(in Dublin anyways)...I know the 'typical' Irish person is white, but I'm no freak I'm a regular Dubliner besides...

[This message has been edited by Da Kid (edited 05-05-2001).]

Cool, whereabouts in Dublin are you from?? I am from Donaghmede. I wish I lived in the inner city though.

Yo welcome. Ain't nothing wrong with talkin the way you do, except, I am a typical Irish person who assume's almost every other Irish person is white...excuse my ignorance. And talk whatever the phuck way you want, always.

Oh, and I don't smoke, do drugs or drink. So, all I could have done using your last post's guidelines is jack off. May I ask where in Ireland you are from? You are the only Irish person I know who say's 'jack off'. Is just interesting thats all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement