Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lapierre - good brand of bike?

• 07-04-2005 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭

I was in Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght this evening helping by brother-in-law buy a commuter bike. We planned to get a Raleigh P4000 and ended up with a Lapierre model for a similar price (but less the front suspension).

The sales guy was plugging Lapierre, even when I said I was interested in looking at a Trek 1200 with flat handlebars.
    I saw a nice flatbar bike, similar to the 1200, the Lapierre Cruiser SL for e810 (I think the 1200 would be about e920).

Anyone know about this brand? Comments or recommendations?
    [I am also considering the Specialized Sequoia or Sirrus models]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

They're very popular in Europe. I only know their mountain bikes which seem well specc'd and reasonably priced. A quick google search will throw up lots of information on them. Several people in my MTB club have ridden them hard for 18 months or so with no unusual failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I had a LaPierre road bike and it was superb, never had trouble with it and the spec was excellent.

Then it got nicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

A LaPierre MTB got a good review in Outsider magazine recently. A guy in my MTB club has a LaPierre Hardtail MTB and gives it a huge amount of abuse without a problem. They seem to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Oh yeah, and most of the guys in the cycle superstore know what they're talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I was talking to teh same shop over the phone one day and was asking about Trek racers and they also tried to sell me on a LaPierre.
    Rang a bike shop where i know the owner of and he said something about LaPierre not having an official distributer here, that the warranty of that bike stops at the bike shop you got it from, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Thanks for inputs. Encouraging.
    he said something about LaPierre not having an official distributer here
    Cycle Superstore are the only dealer for Ireland on the LaPierre site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

jman0 wrote:
    I was talking to teh same shop over the phone one day and was asking about Trek racers and they also tried to sell me on a LaPierre.
    Rang a bike shop where i know the owner of and he said something about LaPierre not having an official distributer here, that the warranty of that bike stops at the bike shop you got it from, or something like that.

Hmm, I understood that Cycle Superstore were the official distributor in Ireland. You could always call them and check.

The warranty is important, and you should be clear exactly what is and is not warranted, how long it lasts for and what the process and turnaround time is for replacement or repair under warranty. This is not too crucial for road commuting but is essential for MTB (which is another reason to ride Specialized MTB, best customer care in the business by far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 russ6789

I got a 2003 FdeJ carbon frame and fork for $750.00 from Chuck's Bikes on line. What a deal! It looks a bit different, no white section on the top tube. Nice white bands on the fork with the FdeJ symbols on them.
    Built it with Record, ITM Unika bars and stem, Ksyrium SSC SL wheels.
    So, no warranty, but no problems either. I am big, 218 just now. The frame is overbuilt at the bb so it is stiff at my weight.
    It isn't my only bike so I haven't ridden it four or five times a week for the two years I've had it, haven't put it to the "its my only road bike" test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I haven't heard any negative copy on Lapierre bikes, but when salesmen consistently push them over other quality brands like Trek, you have to question the markup/commission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

I have a 2005 FDJ carbon La Pierre, having come from aluminium frames in the past this is a dream. The finish is fantastic and the spec is excellent. Highly recommend them. Bought mine in Quay cycles in Drogheda. Highly recommend them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bod1 wrote:
    I have a 2005 FDJ carbon La Pierre
    Me too. I love it. No problems to report. Serves me well in duathlons and on the Wicklow 100 (might do the 200 next year).
    I went in last August thinking about a Trek and the LaPierre was pushed. I decided to spend a little more than planned to get the carbon bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

daymobrew wrote:
    Me too. I love it. No problems to report. Serves me well in duathlons and on the Wicklow 100 (might do the 200 next year).
    I went in last August thinking about a Trek and the LaPierre was pushed. I decided to spend a little more than planned to get the carbon bike.

I was thinking of a carbon frame - are these any good lads? for example, are they stiffer than an alu frame? or are there issues around the fixing points for the drivetrain, bonding points etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

I've ridden steel, alu and now carbon, the carbon frame is far stiffer than the other two in my opinion and very, very light. It transfers a lot more power to the drivechain and it's very noticable going uphill. There are no issues regarding drivetrain etc. I'd advise foing for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement