Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Whats good vpn software

• 07-04-2005 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Looking to control a pc remotely and was told a vpn software would do the job(both pc's running xp-pro. Was also told that Ms has its own built in but not as good as others, any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Are you mixing up VPN, RDC and VNC?

VPN= virtual private networking. Creates a secure link between two PC's. As an example, I use it to connect to the job from where ever I can get a net connection. It is purely for secure connections, once connected you can do anything, including remote control. I don't think this is built into XP, I know I use non-Microsoft VPN software.

RDC=remote desktop connection - this is built into XP. It allows you to log into a remote computer as if you were sitting directly at the machine. It's not technically remote control, though.

VNC=Virtual network computing (I think?) - now this is remote control software. I believe it can set up a secure link, perhaps somebody with more experience of it can tell you. It is not built into Windows either, but can be freely downloaded from the net.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Virtual Network Console, its free and works well. The big diferance between RDC and VNC is that when you login via VNC and move the mouse the mouse pointer on the remote PC moves as well, so its true remote control.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pptp is built into windows - PRO only allows one connection in - no idea about HOME but it uses a windows password or encryption
    zVNC is VNC + zebedee - Control + encryption
    winCIPE - fiddly to setup and looks like development has stopped

If you don't have to go through a firewall use RealVNC - widest range of platforms
    Windows also has built in remote thingy but not in all versions

If you have to go through a firewall check what it supports, it may offer authentication / encryption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for the reply lads, your right Tom I was mixing it up with the software VNc.But on the other hand is the protocol VPN expensive to implement(another words is it really only meant for business users?)Because by the sounds of it it covers all the angles. Another words it would allow me to copy files from one pc to another over the web and also remote control it.Basicly I have a Pc-A in my house and Pc-B in my moms house, sometimes she needs me to fix stuff and I thought this would be perfect and it will save me the drive. So what would you guys suggest,VNc- to securely connect and remote control or VPN-all of the above plus be able to transfer files to my pc

Setup

Pc-A/Xp-pro-ZA(latest version)-NAV2005-Zyxel 623-R-T1(IOL's one)

Pc-B/Same as above except with a Linksys Wag54G-v2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

The best prog I have used:

[html]
    http://www.famatech.com/
    [/html]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

VPN doesn't provide remote control, just an encrypted network tunnel, so your computer appears to be connected to the remote network. You would still need one of the other tools to change settings on the remote computer.

XP Pro's built in Send remote assistance invitation is meant to be for this stuff, but I've never tried it, out of chronic mistrust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cubix wrote:
    But on the other hand is the protocol VPN expensive to implement(another words is it really only meant for business users?)Because by the sounds of it it covers all the angles. Another words it would allow me to copy files from one pc to another over the web and also remote control it.

Setup

Pc-A/Xp-pro-ZA(latest version)-NAV2005-Zyxel 623-R-T1(IOL's one)

Pc-B/Same as above except with a Linksys Wag54G-v2

VPN isn't a protocol, it's a piece of software. It allows secure connections. What you do over that secure connection is your own business. In your case, it would be an overkill (and very expensive).

A secure VNC connection sounds like the best option for you (VNC isn't a protocol either, it's also a piece of software). You just need to run VNC on both computers and open the relevant ports on both the DSL modem and your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Ok Tom and everyone else, thanks for all your help ;)

Advertisement