Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkwave and Industrial

Options
  • 07-04-2005 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Ive been listening to a bit of Darkwave and a bit of Industrial music lately like Einsturzende Neubauten and Bauhaus and some Siouxsie and the Banshees. I was wondering if theres any reccommendations you could give me for some more bands to check out in these genres.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

never heard of "darkwave" before in my life, and i'm an industrial fan (skinny puppy, frontline assembly etc.etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Oh how i love industrial
    These are all pretty good -

Skinny Puppy
    Ministry
    Velvet Acid Christ
    KMFDM
    Frontline Assembly
    VNV Nation
    Laibach
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Front 242
    Project Pitchfork
    Wumpscut

Metacortex wrote:
    Oh how i love industrial
    These are all pretty good -

Skinny Puppy
    Ministry
    Velvet Acid Christ
    KMFDM
    Frontline Assembly
    VNV Nation
    Laibach
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Front 242
    Project Pitchfork
    Wumpscut
    all excellent bands :D

(waste of a post, but whatcha gonna do eh?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah KMFDM and NiN, thats all you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

Creature wrote:

i dont think NIN are that good at all. check vnv nation and assemblage 23 and your set

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Engel

Why hasn't anyone said Rammstein?? How can you not know or remember to say them?? I could cry... But not really.. But rammstein great, in German yeah, but it's all about music rite and not totaly what there saying...But trust me when you find out what there saying... wow! It's mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Yeah Ive a few Rammstein albums.Im more a metal man so I checled them out along my journey.Thanks for the submissions.
    Anyone got anymore?

Engel wrote:
    Why hasn't anyone said Rammstein?? How can you not know or remember to say them?? I could cry... But not really.. But rammstein great, in German yeah, but it's all about music rite and not totaly what there saying...But trust me when you find out what there saying... wow! It's mad!!
    ah rammstein are class too. i have pretty much everything they've released thus far...

was ohGr mentioned? that be a skinny puppy side-project for those not in the know

if you like gothic industrial check out collide (http://www.collide.net). they be superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tyu

there is a speed metal argentinian band called ratablanca they sing in spanish and are only known in south america,they are toogood to be so rare,although ithink they are rare just because they only speak spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Just to throw another few names on the pile:
    Skinny Puppy
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Ministry
    KMFDM
    Frontline Assembly
    Laibach
    Axiome
    Laether Strip
    Dioxyde
    Clock DVA
    Birmingham
    ohGr
    X-marks the Pedwalk

to name a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Creature wrote:

Oh no you don't. NIN are good, KMFDM do nothing for me. And Rammstein are not industrial, they are just a metal band. A keyboard player does not an industrial band make.

What you really need (and I speak as a man who knows his industrial):

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
    Coil - Horse Rotorvator

Coil - Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - 1/2 Mensch
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - Haus Der Luege
    Swans - Public Castration Is A Good Idea
    Swans - Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money

The Hafler Trio - Kill The King
    Alec Empire Vs Merzbow - Live at CBGB's
    (retards) - Sex is a Weapon
    Current 93 - All The Pretty Little Horsies
    Nurse With Wound - Brained By Falling Masonry
    NON - Children of the Black Sun
    Sun Plexus - Or Ou Ferraille? A Quelle Profondeur?
    Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind

The ones in bold are the must haves. Also check out the Anthology of Noise and Electronic music series on Sub Rosa. Not industrial, a bit academic but some of it is amazing. PM me for more or I can make you CD-Rs of a few things if you want a taster.

I really recommend the Swans considering you like Burzum. Similar kind of heaviness but Burzum never sound quite as crushing. Well the early stuff is anyway. Then they became a country band, then they went kind of like NIN at their best, then became something like Godspeed You Black Emperor and then broke up. Now the lead singer has an album of children's songs coming out.

Go for Throbbing Gristle for the original Industrial sound (they invented the genre and the name, they're own label was Industrial Records with the slogan Industrial Music For Industrial People).

A note on all these bands, check what label the stuff is on before you buy. If it's on Some Bizarre or Thirsty Ear I'd ask you not to buy as they do not pay any royalties to the artists. A lot of the bands I've listed above signed with them and have never received a penny. Plus the non-Some Bizarre versions are normally better mastered with superior artwork.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Get Diabolos Rising - Blood Vampirism & Sadism.

might be hard to find but its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

John2 wrote:
    Coil - Horse Rotorvator
    Seconded, can't believe I forgot Coil.

nosmo wrote:
    Seconded, can't believe I forgot Coil.

Did you go see them last year? Amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

KMFDM, Guano Apes & Velvet Acid Christ are all most excellent

are mad capsule markets industrial?, i love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Die Krupps...
    The best industrial band that ever came out of Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

16 Volt
    Bile

finbarr wrote:
    Die Krupps...
    The best industrial band that ever came out of Germany

:eek:

Neubauten slaughter them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Never even heard of the genre before I saw this thread. Like Rammstein though. Saw their CD in town for €30??? Where do you guys buy all of this stuff at reasonable prices? Sound Cellar?

Tower Records is good, has an industrial section down beside punk and soundtracks. Most of the stuff is expensive because it's mostly import and limited edition. Rammstein sounds nothing like most of it (unless you count singing in German).

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Tower Records is good, has an industrial section down beside punk and soundtracks. Most of the stuff is expensive because it's mostly import and limited edition. Rammstein sounds nothing like most of it (unless you count singing in German).

What is Rammstein then if its not Industrial? :confused:

It's just rock to me.

John2 wrote:
    It's just rock to me.

And lots of flames :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

RicardoSmith, 30 yoyos for a Rammstein cd is fúcking terrible.Im not a big fan of Rammstein at all tbh.Soundcellar have alot of cds but theyre not really organised in categories.Try Sentinle or Tower but if youre looking for a specific cd then go to Soundcellar.

Dathai wrote:
    RicardoSmith, 30 yoyos for a Rammstein cd is fúcking terrible.Im not a big fan of Rammstein at all tbh.Soundcellar have alot of cds but theyre not really organised in categories.Try Sentinle or Tower but if youre looking for a specific cd then go to Soundcellar.

Ok cheers. I don't why I like them. Not usually my cup o'T either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I am a huge Rammstein fan,they are absolutely amazing live.
    I would have classed them as Industrial too but according to wikipedia its dance metal.he he!
    Check this out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammstein

€30 is a joke for a cd,they should be shot

They also had a Loundess CD for 80. Which I can understand as its an import (Japanese). Still way too much for a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

has anyone here mentionned collide? pretty class band

skregs wrote:

Someone mentioned them on page one. I listened to them and I'm not impressed at all.

• Advertisement

skregs wrote:
    indeed i think i pimped them in this very thread before. cool band (screw you John2 :p)... tower are only stocking "vortex", their worst cd by miles... but i think it's because some irish guy did one or two of the remixes

Advertisement