Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkwave and Industrial

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dance metal would be Death from above 1979 though in my opinion Nea. well not really metal but rather Dance Rock.

Death From Above 1979 = 100% good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well Dathai, did you go with any of the suggestions?

And Mr Mayhem, I'll give Collide another chance making sure I avoid Vortex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

ó F&#237 wrote: »

Basically yeah. Industrial was not just a style of music but an artistic movement. All this new stuff is just dance music for goths. But in fairness when TG/Coil/Neubauten all have such huge and consistantly brilliant back catalogues, why do you need second rate?

If you want to get technical there's only about four industrial bands as I think that's about the total number of artists that ever released on Industrial.

It's like people who think Busted are punk (only not as bad obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I'd have to agree on not liking VNV.

Whats the heaviset stuff you listen to? Anyone like stuff like Masonna/Converter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

€30 quid for a Rammstein CD is ludacris, I got Reise Reise for only €16 in HMV.

skregs wrote:
    Whats the heaviset stuff you listen to? Anyone like stuff like Masonna/Converter?

I've heard one Masonna track. I liked it, the Japs really know how to do noise. Any recommendations on CDs by Masonna?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

i'd say Mademoiselle Anne Sanglante Ou Notre Nymphomanie Aureole or Mad Onna. good luck finding em though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For some of the best pure industrial around, Laibach pre-1986 can't be beaten IMHO. Incredible stuff. Any live material from this period (approx. 82 - 87) is generally superb.
    Masonna? Got one album but didn't really grab me the way Merzbow did. A lot of Merzbow's newer stuff is actually quite 'easy' to listen to. Most extreme (as opposed to 'heaviest')? Can't go wrong with Whitehouse! Their last few albums have been particularly repugnant.

For some of the best pure industrial around, Laibach pre-1986 can't be beaten IMHO. Incredible stuff. Any live material from this period (approx. 82 - 87) is generally superb.
    Masonna? Got one album but didn't really grab me the way Merzbow did. A lot of Merzbow's newer stuff is actually quite 'easy' to listen to. Most extreme (as opposed to 'heaviest')? Can't go wrong with Whitehouse! Their last few albums have been particularly repugnant.

Early Laibach is great. I think they're bollocks now though. Went to see them when they played the TBMC, one of the worst gigs I've ever been to.

I still don't own any Whitehouse. I need to sort that out.

As for finding Masonna, www.aquariusrecords.org have a few. Great site that, lots of obscure stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

I never said all newer industrial bands were bad, I just don't like a lot of them. And yes, Ministry are the ****. One of the loudest bands I've ever seen. And I do like Rammstein, I just don't think they're really that industrial. Then there's Godflesh, Jesu, NIN and Lard, all of them are great and industrial inspired but I don't really class them as industrial.

Still, even though I'm prickly about what's labelled industrial, at the end of the day if the music is good then that's all that matters.

John2 wrote:
    Early Laibach is great. I think they're bollocks now though. Went to see them when they played the TBMC, one of the worst gigs I've ever been to.

I still don't own any Whitehouse. I need to sort that out.

As for finding Masonna, www.aquariusrecords.org have a few. Great site that, lots of obscure stuff on it.

Disagree on new Laibach being bollocks - definitely not as 'good' as the early stuff, but it is completely different. Rammstein fans may want to check it out and see where they got their influences from! Was at the gig too, and thought it was great (was my first seeing them despite being a fan for many years). Sure, it'd be great to hear those early classics belted out, but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately! On a side note, have you heard their 'classical' albums ("Krst Pod Triglavom" and "Macbeth")? Not a guitar or hammer to be heard but industrial as ****! BTW if you're interested in rare early Laibach recordings, let me know and I'll sort you out - gotta spread the gospel!

Whitehouse are *very* much an acquired taste - far more extreme than, say, Merzbow - in both musical and lyrical (well, Merzbow doesn't have any) terms. Their earlier albums (pre-1986 - approx. 10 or so!) are mostly quite similar and may just piss you off with their extremely high pitched noise and 'offensive' childish lyrics about raping and killing women etc. blah blah. Middle period is quite sedate (well, relatively speaking). Last three albums (Mummy and Daddy, Cruise, Bird Seed) have been monsters! The 'music' is easier to listen to than earlier recordings, having a much 'warmer' sound, but the lyrics are just sick sick sick! Not as blatantly offensive as the earlier stuff, but far more disturbing.

I just can't get into newer Laibach at all. I find it way too repetitive. At the show it seemed like they played the same song over and over and over and over again. I have a recording of theirs from when they started out and it's just complete glorious noise (I think it's called Industrial Ambience), hard to reconcile the two styles. Although you can definitely hear Laibach in Rammstein but I find Rammstein a bit nicer to listen to.

John2 wrote:
    I just can't get into newer Laibach at all. I find it way too repetitive. At the show it seemed like they played the same song over and over and over and over again. I have a recording of theirs from when they started out and it's just complete glorious noise (I think it's called Industrial Ambience), hard to reconcile the two styles. Although you can definitely hear Laibach in Rammstein but I find Rammstein a bit nicer to listen to.
    I can understand not being into newer Laibach; it's probably true to say that i wouldn't like it half as much if it wasn't by Laibach. However, quite a bit of early Laibach is *extremely* repetitive - listen to "Vier Personen" or much of "Lubljana Zagreb Beograd" - maybe what's being repeated is more interesting?

Industrial Ambience? A name I don't recall and I know my Laibach! I think I remember hearing about an early live bootleg (not a full show) on some compilation - is this it? Whatever it is, I'd be very interested in getting a burn of it (it's not available so I presume a bit of copyright bending is OK!). I have pretty much everything else from that era (the early cassette only recordings) and would be more than happy to return the favour. Drop me a PM!

Advertisement