Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to kill smell of stale smoke...

• 07-04-2005 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Neighbour of 3 years timidly knocks on my door - look on her face thought she had scratched my car and it exploded!

We share hallway - she eventually gets to point - every morning she finds hallway smelly (of my smokes). She sort of hinted that smoke is even intruding into her apartment.

I've been burning joss stick here tonight - but not sure that's cure - anyone know how to really kill ciggie smoke smells? ionisers any use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Quit smoking.As you know smell of smoke to a non smoke is terrible.Wash curtains and anything else you might think is smelling.Shake and vac for carpet if you have carpet that is?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

You could try spraying the area with those air freshener sprays or use Lynx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I think that lavender does it.. burn an incense stick.. or just put a few drops of oil near the door! there are special candles you can get that are apparently cigarette smoke eaters.. and are really good.. where to get them though I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Folks I really do not want a neighbour to dictate when I quit - but do want to quit - but lynx is not gonna cut it demeantor - unless we meet in hall - fairly sure - smokey smell remains well after i'm gone 2 - 3 hours! any ideas folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Folks I really do not want a neighbour to dictate when I quit - but do want to quit - but lynx is not gonna cut it demeantor - unless we meet in hall - fairly sure - smokey smell remains well after i'm gone 2 - 3 hours! any ideas folks?

Doubt 2-3hours,I reckon it could be longer than that.They have these new things on market now that you can set it too spray at intervels.Dont know the name of it.Id say its one of the leading brands anyway.You could stick it in hallway and leave it too its own devices.Needs a electrical socket i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

From living with a smoker, and being rightly pissed off about it, I can tell you that doors do NOT keep smoke out. It's gas and particles, it doesn't stop when it sees a wall. So she's right, it probably does make its way into her apartment, and if I were her I'd be rightly ****ed off too..../rant

The best thing to do is to try to seal off your door to the outside with a draught strip, and see if it's possible to leave a window open in the hallway. Invest in a couple of those neutradol thingies and leave them in said hallway too, although how much good this will do I do not know. Burning incense sticks is just covering smoke with more smoke, so don't bother with that. If you are thinking about getting a HEPA filter, it might be better to put that in the hall than in your room..Most of all, ask her nicely and try to work out a compromise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I live with someone who gave up smoking 2 years ago, out of manners I never smoke in the apt. but go outside for my fix. I have no problem doing this as it cuts down on how many I smoke and the apt. does not smell like something died in it - why not just do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Burning candles gets rid of stale smoke, always light a couple after a good season.

Get a couple of the big ones so they will last you a while but if its a constant occurance it will start to cost you a lot of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some air freshenere calledanti Tobacco actually works Glade make it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Beruthiel wrote:
    I live with someone who gave up smoking 2 years ago, out of manners I never smoke in the apt. but go outside for my fix. I have no problem doing this as it cuts down on how many I smoke and the apt. does not smell like something died in it - why not just do that?

Oh my God.. A considerate flatmate! Where were you when I was renting! The last girl I shared with agreed on a no-smoking rule for the house as I don't smoke, and she was only a 'social' smoker.. Of course every time I'd come home the place would reek of cigarettes and she'd be sitting there with a gormless 'i haven't been smoking' face on her.. dumb cow....

Anyway..yeah, nice one :)

Back on topic - I went to look at an apartment a while back, and the girl living there was obviously a smoker. You could tell straight away. She had those plug in air fresheners all around the place, and it was gross smelling. Just another odor on top of an older one.. It's a tough smell to get rid of..

K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah the going outside thing isnt pleasent but it helps you cut down, as for smoking inside get some scented candles and light them when you smoke, works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Cut an onion in half and leave the half on the ground by the door, it soaks up the smell, and for some reason you are not left with the smell of onion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

joejoem wrote:
    Cut an onion in half and leave the half on the ground by the door, it soaks up the smell, and for some reason you are not left with the smell of onion.

My mam does this after painting a room - not completly confinced to works though! Think opening a window is just as effective.
    anyone know how to really kill ciggie smoke smells? .

Have to tried "Oust"? Looks good on the telly!! Dosent cover up the smell - gets rid of it apparently....worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Get a large damp towel and spin it around your head for a while. It does work but it's a pain in the hole if you need to do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Gordon wrote:
    Get a large damp towel and spin it around your head for a while. It does work but it's a pain in the hole if you need to do it all the time.

But you also have to hop on one foot while singing the macarenna at the top of your lungs. It works a treat. Can you tape it while your at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

This is supposed to be the ultimate tip for getting rid of smoke smells. I haven't tested it, coz I quit smoking a year or more ago... well, I have the occasional social smoke outside when drinking in the pub.

* A small saucer filled with lemon juice. *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

could u not just smoke out ur window? u'll get a bit of smoke back in but not enough for the neighbours to complain about.

Haze do an anti-tobacco spray too for a few euro. smells like ass but it seems to work in my house, and a mates house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

joejoem wrote:
    But you also have to hop on one foot while singing the macarenna at the top of your lungs. It works a treat. Can you tape it while your at it?
    It works honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

The anti tobacco candles air freshners might work, do you have any kinf of balcony at your apt that you could smoke on.

I've been a smoker for 10 years or so gonna quit soon i hope the smell of smoke is very difficult to get rid of or cover up.

myself and my wife moved into a new house a year and a half ago and despite both being smokers we haven't smoked once in the house, always at the back door, and it makes a big differance if we go away for a few days and come back the house smells new again. another reason we don't smoke in the house is becasue we have children.

Also my dad is a heavy smoker and always smokes in the house and sometimes even i feel nausea when i go into his house the smell is so strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Thanks for all that folks!

Got HEPA filter/ioniser today - only smoking in living room - keeping door closed. Have it on full blast - after 15 mins - still whiff of smoke, so will probably smoke far more on balcony... will just have to figure out how long HEPA filter needs to cope with one cigarette.

Might try the air freshener thing - will have to see what's in it first...

Will also try lemon juice and onion thing - well until she complains about whiff of either! :p

Will not be waving towels/doing macarena though! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

We share hallway - she eventually gets to point - every morning she finds hallway smelly (of my smokes). She sort of hinted that smoke is even intruding into her apartment.
    You should have told her you were only smoking to drown out the smell of minge wafting over from her appartment.
    Beh, anyone else would have blown smoke in her face, told her to feck off and slammed the door in her face... then re-opened the door just to slam it again.
    All I'm saying is don't rule out the option of doing little or nothing about it.
    Dear God, people can't even smoke in their own home without the fake-cough brigade showing up to complain. :rolleyes:

* Disclaimer *
    Yeah you're right, smoking is a filthy disgusting habbit and nobody should be subjected to its awful stench, smokers have no right to pollute the atmosphere of non-smokers. The argument/suggestion/other above may have been sensationalised for tabloid effect and may not represent the actual views of DonkeyStyle or their subsidiaries. Any similarity to events or persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Terms and conditions apply.

Advertisement