Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint letter to Eircom -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Macros42 wrote:
    That's a good point. A colleague in work lives in Clonee and uses Ripwave.

Rang Irish Broadband over a week ago, Gave credit card details. They were going to do a line of sight test... No word as yet.

Anyone know of a timescale generally for a line of sight test?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Ordered the breeze account myself from IBB.
    From order to line of sight test - approx 4-5 days :)
    From ok on l.o.s. to installation - approx 2 days :D

I may have been lucky but a lot of people I've spoken to have gotten their
    IBB connections up and running with 10-15 working days... So there's hope
    for you still as long as the l.o.s. test is ok... :p

BTW... call them and push them a bit... As long as you do it in a nice manner
    they're v. very helpful...

RESULT!

Got a call yesterday from Irish Broadband, and I passed a line of sight test - Breeze engineer coming out tomorrow - Wahee!

Now all I have to do is convince my girlfriend that we DON'T need a land line - ie Eircom don't pocket any of my hard earned cash...

I'll post how it goes... As a matter of interest, anyone know what mast I'll be working off – Clonee ?!

Thanks again for all your contributions on this thread, In the end Eircom were absolutely no help, and I hope NEVER to deal with them or at least at any available opportunity, spread my bad dealings with them to anyone who'll listen...

If you're reading this Eircom; Your Sales staff / new account systems are seriously lacking and the words spreading... Sooner or later the monopoly for land line infrastructure will be lost and the real marketplace will begin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 curieux2

sticker wrote:
    Got a call from Eircom this afternoon; It'll be June before the cables are laid, and could be July before lines can be activated... Bugger.

He said there's absolutely no possibility of an earlier connection date.

All my sites are now on hold until that date.

I put it to him that the immediate sourrounding area has lines in for some years - Aparantly it doesn't make a difference.

Also the two site offices in the houses literaly beside me which have 8 phone lines in total are only "builder lines" and makes no difference to my delay.

It's well frustrating to hear cables need laying and my next door neighbour has 4 lines to play with.

:eek:
    Same situation here ...
    Ordered phone line for my new house in october
    Eircom promised bla bla bla
    12896 complaints with the Customer I don't care ...

Usual hopeless monkeys on the phone who don't give a **** ...
    Line was finally installed in April and 1st bill arrived 5 days later :-)

But has to laugh when the Eircom csr told me that the installation had been delayed because it has rained over night and that they had to wait for the lines to dry out before installing them :D ( Taking the piss ??? :confused: )

Anyway as soon as the phone was setup, moved to BT
    The week after Eircom called me to check if I was happy with the service I received.. ( I think her name is Margaret --- RIP --- ) ...

curieux2 wrote:

But has to laugh when the Eircom csr told me that the installation had been delayed because it has rained over night and that they had to wait for the lines to dry out before installing them :D ( Taking the piss ??? :confused: )

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Situations like these make me glad that im not moving into a new house... ever!

UPDATE: sigh.

Irish Broadband came out to install wireless breeze Friday.
    First off, the contractors were told my new house had a chimney - After expressly telling sales staff that I didn't!!

The ladder they brought wasn't nearly gonna get to the top of the gable, so they did a test on the roof onsite. It passed; clear signal from roof. They tld me that another team would have to come with a cherry-picker to install. I was disheartened, but understood that the tools at hand didn't suit the task.

I closed the door, only to have the doorbell ring three minutes later. One of the contractors telling me he rang in to Irish Broadband and aprised them of my situation. REMINDER: TEST PASSED. NEED CHERRY-PICKER.

I had the guy stand in my doorway with head bowed telling me that the 'test had FAILED' !!?! I asked him to explain, and reading between the lines, I got the impression I was more trouble than I was worth.

So here I am, in a built up area sourrounded by wired ready Broadband, and I'm still without. Even waiting on Eircom, it'll be another two to three months.

BUGGER.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dear me . Chimney 101 Lessons For All !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

sticker wrote:
    RESULT!

Now all I have to do is convince my girlfriend that we DON'T need a land line - ie Eircom don't pocket any of my hard earned cash...

Go and have a look at www.blueface.ie, you can get a Dublin number and use Voice over IP. I have breeze 1Mb and it works perfectly. (well, when breeze is actually working).

Adey2002 wrote:
    Go and have a look at www.blueface.ie, you can get a Dublin number and use Voice over IP. I have breeze 1Mb and it works perfectly. (well, when breeze is actually working).

Repost

• Advertisement

Adey2002 wrote:

Apologies Adey2002, Not sure how this works for me, I have no land line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DancesWithChimp

Hey Sticker...check this out.

I moved into my house in Kilcock in October of last year. Rang Eircom, asked them to connect me. They sent me a form, I paid them the deposit, they said they'd connect me. After no news from them, rang them and found out that a load of cabling work still needed to be done. They said the date for completion of work was November 20th. In late November their date changed to December 20th, then that changed to January 20th, then that changed to May 7th, and now the date is October 10th.

It was around February of this year when I got so pissed off that I rang Comreg. They told me to put in a complaint to eircom. They said if I do that eircom *must* give me a reason for the delay and a reasonable estimate for completion. In finding the reason for the delay I think they took their first action in the entire case. I don't think they lifted a finger until I rang Comreg. It was Paul Brennan there who I dealt with, but unfortunately he no longer works there.

So I got a call back from Eircom a week or two after complaining and they said that Eircom had been on site and found that there was a blockage in the piping under the road crossing in the estate and once it was unblocked by the developer the job would then be finished in around 2 weeks and I'd have my phoneline.

A month went by and I rang back and asked what the story was. They told me that the job in the estate was done, i.e. connecting the cabinet to the wires for the houses, but that they realised no work had been on the Exchange end. The Exchange still had to be extended and cable laid between the cabinet in our estate and the Exchage.

I rang Comreg back after this, looking for Paul Brennan. He no longer works there so I got some girl on the phone. I explained the situation to her and she just said that Comreg can't make Eircom do anyone..."we don't have any teeth" she said. What is the f**king point then, I wondered.

So this is where I'm at now. Eircom say they have to import the exchange cables from abroad (Spain)...I was told this order went though over a month ago. Rang them recently and they say they have no idea what's going on with the order. They say it'll be a few more weeks before they get the cable and once they do it'll be about 2 months to complete the work after that.

So I'm looking at October or so to get my line...a year after I put in the request for it.

It just sickens me that the work orders were only initiated when I complained and that it was even ages after that they realised that the bulk of the work had never even been started.

If I get my line in October I'll be very surprised.
    I'm so far passed being annoyed at this stage it's ridiculous.
    I'm tempted to ring Eircom right now just so I can have a go at them and vent my anger.

I hope your situation is resovled soon!
    Good luck with the useless shower of muppets!

Does anyone know if wireless broadband is available in Kidare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I moved into my house in Kilcock in October of last year. Rang Eircom, asked them to connect me. They sent me a form, I paid them the deposit, they said they'd connect me. After no news from them, rang them and found out that a load of cabling work still needed to be done. They said the date for completion of work was November 20th. In late November their date changed to December 20th, then that changed to January 20th, then that changed to May 7th, and now the date is October 10th.

It was around February of this year when I got so pissed off that I rang Comreg. They told me to put in a complaint to eircom. They said if I do that eircom *must* give me a reason for the delay and a reasonable estimate for completion. In finding the reason for the delay I think they took their first action in the entire case. I don't think they lifted a finger until I rang Comreg. It was Paul Brennan there who I dealt with, but unfortunately he no longer works there.

So I got a call back from Eircom a week or two after complaining and they said that Eircom had been on site and found that there was a blockage in the piping under the road crossing in the estate and once it was unblocked by the developer the job would then be finished in around 2 weeks and I'd have my phoneline.

A month went by and I rang back and asked what the story was. They told me that the job in the estate was done, i.e. connecting the cabinet to the wires for the houses, but that they realised no work had been on the Exchange end. The Exchange still had to be extended and cable laid between the cabinet in our estate and the Exchage.

I rang Comreg back after this, looking for Paul Brennan. He no longer works there so I got some girl on the phone. I explained the situation to her and she just said that Comreg can't make Eircom do anyone..."we don't have any teeth" she said. What is the f**king point then, I wondered.

So this is where I'm at now. Eircom say they have to import the exchange cables from abroad (Spain)...I was told this order went though over a month ago. Rang them recently and they say they have no idea what's going on with the order. They say it'll be a few more weeks before they get the cable and once they do it'll be about 2 months to complete the work after that.

So I'm looking at October or so to get my line...a year after I put in the request for it.

It just sickens me that the work orders were only initiated when I complained and that it was even ages after that they realised that the bulk of the work had never even been started.

I'm tempted to ring Eircom right now just so I can have a go at them and vent my anger.

This happens quite alot with new housing estates. i was waitin just over 11 months. You'd swear we were living in the 50's or something!

I just wish I could avail of some alternative.
    Wireless would be sweet...no money for Eircom from me.

Too many houses being built and this is just another case of deficient infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

If you complain to the right person, stuff gets done...

Moved into first house a little over 5 years ago. Estate had been building for a while and there were other phases completed (with connected phone lines). Anyway, building work was complete 2 months before we actually moved in, so contacted Eircom about getting a line then. All OK. Told would have the line connected within 3 months. Fine, a month after we move in.

We checked with the builders, and they confirmed that all the cables were in place, and even connected back to the exchange in Blanchardstown. The builders engineer said that all Eircom's people had to do was make some connection in the manhole outside our house, and enable the line back at the exchange.

Good thinks I...

So we move in, all well. Wife is 3 months pregnant, so will need the phone in case of emergency when babytime gets closer. But eircom will have the phone in place in a month, right...

So 2 months go by, no sign of movement from eircom. Then a series of phone calls and letters to various people in eircom, but without any joy. Our connection date has slipped, no new date, no explanation.

We informed them that wife was pregnant and needed a land line phone in case of emergency, but that didn't make any difference.

After a while we knew most of the phone numbers by heart (we even got the number for the Blanchardstown exchange - public not supposed to have that one, and they were always annoyed when we rang them on it). But still not getting anywhere.

So finally, 5 months later (7 after ordering the line, 4 after it was supposed to be in, and 1 month before baby is due) things start getting hairy. Wife is sick and hospitalised. All OK, but having a land line is now urgent, what if the mobile runs out of power at the wrong time...

So the day after getting out of hospital, we both start the round of phone calls again (me in work, and wife from her mothers house). Wife gets really exasperated, and rings directory enquiries in tears looking for a number of anyone who can help her with eircom (ironically it was eircom directory enquiries). Helpful person dives her number for the minister of communications (I think it was Mary O'Rourke).

Wife calls, and it turns out to be the minister's private line, and she is through to the minister's personal secretary.

Floods of tears and one long sad story later, the sec. takes our details and says to give them a day to look into it.

Next day, on my was out to work there was an eircom van outside our house with some guys down the manhole. Wife told me that shortly after I left they called in to test the phone was working, and went on their way. That afternoon the minister's Sec. called to check everything was OK.

Phone proved handy too when it came time for the baby to arrive.

So from our experience, it doesn't matter where you are, how well connected your estate is, or what your personal (medical) circumstances are. Eircom WILL NOT connect you until they are good and ready.

And only when someone high enough up the food chain shouts at them will they move to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 curieux2

I moved into my house in Kilcock in October of last year. Rang Eircom, asked them to connect me. They sent me a form, I paid them the deposit, they said they'd connect me.

Quick question : I had the same fantastic experience and also paid 60Euros deposit but they were never deducted from by bill > they are still asking for 129Euros for the installation

Should I tell them to go to hell ? :D

Cheers mate - It's frustrating to say the least... First Eircom, then Irish Broadband. I've repeated myself on this thread many times; for an estate wired to talk to Mars, It's like on living in the middle of the pacific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

sticker wrote:
    Apologies Adey2002, Not sure how this works for me, I have no land line...

Sticker, you don't need a landline, it's web phone that provides you with a number for landlines to call you. you call from the PC. It's pretty good quality too.

Adey2002 wrote:
    Sticker, you don't need a landline, it's web phone that provides you with a number for landlines to call you. you call from the PC. It's pretty good quality too.

Dude, it says you need an internet connection in place already. For that he needs a landline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This kind of thing is absolutely totally and completely crazy. It's down to bad planning. Basically tens of thousands of homes pop up, eircom doesn't notice and/or couldn't give a toss so doesn't bother putting the capacity in to cope with them in advance.

The only way forward is for the government to force the issue by including telecommunications services in the planning process.

i.e. eircom should be compelled to provide the necessary infrastructure to cope with demand.

If they can't someone else should come in and provide service.

Have you, as a group of disgruntled residents, considered talking to the contractor / developer and seeing if you can get an alternative provider of telephone service into the estate? I mean, the developer owns the ducts, not eircom.

e.g. if you're near a fiber you might be able to get Smart or someone in instead of eircom?

I think what it comes down to is that the planning process has forgoetten that we don't actually have a nationally owned public service phone company anymore. Eircom care about their bottom line, not about providing universal service. As such, they'll have to be compelled, beaten and regulated into providing any service which they think mightn't be profitable enough. It needs to be done through a combination of incentives and severe penalties for not doing it. Time to give ComReg an electric cattle prod I think!

I'm sure, if they could, they'd simply close all rural networks and just provide service to urban areas within 3km of the nearest exchange.

Solair wrote:
    This kind of thing is absolutely totally and completely crazy. It's down to bad planning. Basically tens of thousands of homes pop up, eircom doesn't notice and/or couldn't give a toss so doesn't bother putting the capacity in to cope with them in advance.

The only way forward is for the government to force the issue by including telecommunications services in the planning process.

i.e. eircom should be compelled to provide the necessary infrastructure to cope with demand.

If they can't someone else should come in and provide service.

Have you, as a group of disgruntled residents, considered talking to the contractor / developer and seeing if you can get an alternative provider of telephone service into the estate? I mean, the developer owns the ducts, not eircom.

e.g. if you're near a fiber you might be able to get Smart or someone in instead of eircom?

I think what it comes down to is that the planning process has forgoetten that we don't actually have a nationally owned public service phone company anymore. Eircom care about their bottom line, not about providing universal service. As such, they'll have to be compelled, beaten and regulated into providing any service which they think mightn't be profitable enough. It needs to be done through a combination of incentives and severe penalties for not doing it. Time to give ComReg an electric cattle prod I think!

I'm sure, if they could, they'd simply close all rural networks and just provide service to urban areas within 3km of the nearest exchange.

Eircom van outside my house this morning...
    He said it shouldn't be more than a month - Got the whole "...work needs doin up the road first..." lark

Two more vans here in Latchford again - But in the opposite estate. BUGGER.

Well, finally had an engineer arrive this morning - He fixed up two sockets, the lines solid but they need to be activated at the exchange...

FORWARD MOMENTUM!

PS - Whats the best Broadband package to go with atm... in terms of a high cap and high speed.

Cheers in Advance...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sticker wrote:
    Here's the letter I sent

Dear Sir / Madam

In early January I moved into a new development in Clonee and contacted Eircom as a new customer asking to have a line installed. I was also interested in a Broadband connection. I was told an Engineer would call within 24 hours.

Looks like you may finally have a working line in Early July . 6 Months Wait is good for a new developement nowadays sticker , congratulations are in order. :)

Keep at them.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Looks like you may finally have a working line in Early July . 6 Months Wait is good for a new developement nowadays sticker , congratulations are in order. :)

Keep at them.

Any idea how long it generally takes to activate a line at the exchange?!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

sticker wrote:
    Any idea how long it generally takes to activate a link at the exchange?!

The last phone line I ordered saw the line activated within 2 days. That was an ISDN line mind you, but it's probably around the same.

Nuphor wrote:
    The last phone line I ordered saw the line activated within 2 days. That was an ISDN line mind you, but it's probably around the same.

Cheers Mate - Fingers crossed!

I was with UTV Clicksilver in the old house - Looking for a high cap / cheap! Any idea whats the best package atm?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

BT...No question about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

"The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet.. Thats why I recommend EIRCOM ADSL."

Advertisement