Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint letter to Eircom -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

BT is €50 a month for a 2meg / 24gig package
    UTV is €45 a month for a 2meg / 16gig package with the added bonus of FREE weekend & evening calls locally...

Even with the weaker cap, I can't see UTV beaten with the free calls setup.

Pity really, I'd like the idea of a monstrous cap available...

Rang Eircom yesterday again, my line being tested for Broadband over the weekend... The bugger better work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

You have your figures wrong sticker.

BT is €50 a month for a 2meg / 24gig package
    UTV is €45 a month for a 2meg / 16gig package....where is the Line Rental Cost???

BT
    €50 month incl. 2Mbit BB+Line Rental
    UTV
    (€45+€24)=€69 month incl. 2Mbit BB+Line Rental

If you like the €19 difference then by all means choose UTV ;-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

juliuspret wrote:
    If you like the €19 difference then by all means choose UTV ;-O

I suppose it depends if you would spend over €19 on calls at off peak times.

Were talking plain BB here...If you had to choose between BT&UTV...which would you pick???

BT have a soft CAP policy...while UTV crucify you!

Im not sure, but do BT have something similar to UTV with a built in...free after peak/weekend calls???

To pick UTV over BT IMHO would not be the best idea.

juliuspret wrote:
    Were talking plain BB here...If you had to choose between BT&UTV...which would you pick???

BT have a soft CAP policy...while UTV crucify you!

Im not sure, but do BT have something similar to UTV with a built in...free after peak/weekend calls???

To pick UTV over BT IMHO would not be the best idea.

Ah I get you know. BT are far better. But guess which group of gob****es with the most incompetant product developer I went with.

Yup, UTV. ****e enforced caps for me then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Arabel wrote:
    Ah I get you know. BT are far better. But guess which group of gob****es with the most incompetant product developer I went with.

Yup, UTV. ****e enforced caps for me then.

I'm with utv myself and sometimes go over the cap, was over by about .5gb the month before last and wasn't charged for it, maybe if it's you regularly go over???

DamoKen wrote:
    I'm with utv myself and sometimes go over the cap, was over by about .5gb the month before last and wasn't charged for it, maybe if it's you regularly go over???

Woah thats lucky. I think you just managed to slip through the net. Although, knowing them, they'll bill you when the realise their mistake.

Yeah they came back to old customers who no longer had their BB recently and billed them for a missed month about a year ago.

If you owe them money...then you will pay.

juliuspret wrote:
    Yeah they came back to old customers who no longer had their BB recently and billed them for a missed month about a year ago.

If you owe them money...then you will pay.

Even though I closed my Clicksilver account in January, I found small amounts coming off my credit card till March - Had to ring up and complain - They credited my card. Gonna go with BT methinks.

This all allowing for the fact that I PASS THE LINE TEST. Fingers crossed. May know today.

AMAZING :

Just rang Eircom Sales; They tested the line again for Boradband, and told me DEFINATIVELY that the line failed.

Deepest depression decended!! Then as a serious longshot, rang the Broadband section to see if anything else could be done. The woman tested again and told me the exchange was ACTIVATED for Boradband and an engineer would check for faults... The likelyhood being that it would be OK after an equipment inspection!

Jumpin Jesus - Just goes to show...

It'll be a week or two before I know - I've to ring her back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sticker wrote:
    AMAZING :

Just rang Eircom Sales; They tested the line again for Boradband, and told me DEFINATIVELY that the line failed.

Deepest depression decended!! Then as a serious longshot, rang the Broadband section to see if anything else could be done. The woman tested again and told me the exchange was ACTIVATED for Boradband and an engineer would check for faults... The likelyhood being that it would be OK after an equipment inspection!

Jumpin Jesus - Just goes to show...

It'll be a week or two before I know - I've to ring her back.

dont hol yer breath ! had the same issue as you in D15, and the man came out to my house and tested the signal and NaDA thing ! its the only way they can 100% tell if you cant get it ! and its depression time when you realise you got to go with IBB !! lol

Drapper wrote:
    dont hol yer breath ! had the same issue as you in D15, and the man came out to my house and tested the signal and NaDA thing ! its the only way they can 100% tell if you cant get it ! and its depression time when you realise you got to go with IBB !! lol

IBB came out to me a fortnight or so ago, and told me the height of my 'regular 3 bed semi' wasn't feasable to attach the bracket for the dish... The guys tested it from the roof and it passed, then after coming to the conclusion that a cherry-picker would be needed to attach the bracket, they rang head office and suddenly the test had FAILED - ?!?!? The guy told me in so many words that when they come across a situation that is 'more trouble than it's worth' - they just fail the test and don't bother...

sticker wrote:
    IBB came out to me a fortnight or so ago, and told me the height of my 'regular 3 bed semi' wasn't feasable to attach the bracket for the dish... The guys tested it from the roof and it passed, then after coming to the conclusion that a cherry-picker would be needed to attach the bracket, they rang head office and suddenly the test had FAILED - ?!?!? The guy told me in so many words that when they come across a situation that is 'more trouble than it's worth' - they just fail the test and don't bother...

I'd call the networks tech manager !! loads of guys here needed cherrypickers and it was fine !! as for eircom get a man out into the chamber outside your gaf! I'm sure you need BB for your works "as you WORK FROM home" and its essential !! (wink wink !!)

Drapper wrote:
    I'd call the networks tech manager !! loads of guys here needed cherrypickers and it was fine !! as for eircom get a man out into the chamber outside your gaf! I'm sure you need BB for your works "as you WORK FROM home" and its essential !! (wink wink !!)

I'm gonna give Eircom the week they wanted to check for faults... Since I'm within range of the exchange, I'm hopeful it'll be recified soon. I'd vastly prefer to have the land line BB rather than an unsightly disc 10 feet up a pole on my roof...

Cheers for the advice though!! It happens I DO work from home - wink wink -

sticker wrote:
    I'm gonna give Eircom the week they wanted to check for faults... Since I'm within range of the exchange, I'm hopeful it'll be recified soon. I'd vastly prefer to have the land line BB rather than an unsightly disc 10 feet up a pole on my roof...

Cheers for the advice though!! It happens I DO work from home - wink wink -

Here, distance from exchange is only one of the tests, I live about 1.5 miles from an excahnge but it happens that the Eircom cable to feed my area comes from half way around the world before it lands in the chamber outside the gaf, and is no use as it aboutside the 4.5km threshold !! Bahhh

Hang on for DSL its the biz.

Drapper wrote:
    Here, distance from exchange is only one of the tests, I live about 1.5 miles from an excahnge but it happens that the Eircom cable to feed my area comes from half way around the world before it lands in the chamber outside the gaf, and is no use as it aboutside the 4.5km threshold !! Bahhh

Hang on for DSL its the biz.

Dumb question warning: If my line is not Broadband enabled how will DSL work?!

sticker wrote:
    Dumb question warning: If my line is not Broadband enabled how will DSL work?!

Well as I said they can ultimately test the signal from the manhole outside your house, the rack in the node is there they do the PC test most people fail, but some pass from the physical test or more racks are addedt o the switch!

Also there is DSL and xDSL (i think) and one can range about .5km futher ! Smart are using this technology as far as I am aware ! so they may reach you !

I think you should contact SMart and get EIrcom to do a physical test to rule out completly the failure of your line !

Hope this is of help :-)

Drapper wrote:
    Well as I said they can ultimately test the signal from the manhole outside your house, the rack in the node is there they do the PC test most people fail, but some pass from the physical test or more racks are addedt o the switch!

Also there is DSL and xDSL (i think) and one can range about .5km futher ! Smart are using this technology as far as I am aware ! so they may reach you !

I think you should contact SMart and get EIrcom to do a physical test to rule out completly the failure of your line !

Great help Drapper - Cheers Mate ;)

Drapper wrote:

Quick question mate, Can you explain; "add more racks to the switch" - ?! - Is this done at exchange level? Does this happen when the line can't hold/carry a BB signal?!

Cheers

sticker wrote:
    Quick question mate, Can you explain; "add more racks to the switch" - ?! - Is this done at exchange level? Does this happen when the line can't hold/carry a BB signal?!

Cheers

Simplest way to put it :-

X Number of lines in a Rack URS Router (drops the fibre in a node to copper, ADSL) with a certain bandwidth, bit lile a router switch!
    X Number enabled
    X Number not

Cost about 75k for 1500 lines the equipment. Was much higher/expensive but the technology is now more available. Hence roolout in many areas!

But there is other problems with DSL:-

Splitters! if your in an apartment or townhouse you nieghbour may have DSL and you not ! becuase he got there before you ! it can be fixed but it costs them money to sort it out and they are not bothered ! (I know a person in Gorey like this)

and

Lazy BB providers ! you are in range but the copper in the ground is "sh2t" due to wear and tear over the years !

Here is a link to explain DSL and VDSL

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm and http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vdsl.htm LINKY LINKY !!

BTW are you in Ongar in Clonee?

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    Simplest way to put it :-

X Number of lines in a Rack URS Router (drops the fibre in a node to copper, ADSL) with a certain bandwidth, bit lile a router switch!
    X Number enabled
    X Number not

Cost about 75k for 1500 lines the equipment. Was much higher/expensive but the technology is now more available. Hence roolout in many areas!

But there is other problems with DSL:-

Splitters! if your in an apartment or townhouse you nieghbour may have DSL and you not ! becuase he got there before you ! it can be fixed but it costs them money to sort it out and they are not bothered ! (I know a person in Gorey like this)

and

Lazy BB providers ! you are in range but the copper in the ground is "sh2t" due to wear and tear over the years !

Here is a link to explain DSL and VDSL

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm and http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vdsl.htm LINKY LINKY !!

BTW are you in Ongar in Clonee?

Lived for a year in an apartment in Ongar Park - Had Clicksilver BB.

Moved a mile up the road to new Estate Latchford Green, Or as Eircom have insisted 'Lachford Green' (Despite the fact that a 40 foot sign outside my window reads Latchford!)

SERIOUSLY Hope I get BB soon, I'm totally buggered if it goes sour - I've four websites that need updating weekly, and I'm sick and tired running up the road to a mates hosue to do it...

Cheers again for all the help Drapper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How far away is your friend? You could consider a wireless link if you are really stuck, have a few euros to spare and can see your friend's house from your roof. (Be very careful if you are going up on a ladder or onto a roof to check.)

How far away is your friend? You could consider a wireless link if you are really stuck, have a few euros to spare and can see your friend's house from your roof. (Be very careful if you are going up on a ladder or onto a roof to check.)

Up the road + Motorbike = 3 miles! (he's at the back of Coolmine!) Can't see that being a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazy days

I hate eircom just wanted to say that,

they overcharged me b4, to the tune of 150 euro by the time they sorted the correct amount to be paid the bill was overdue, i posted a cheque and because it was around christmas they didn't get it. they cut me off on christams eve. i bet scrouge works in there. anyway st. stephens day it was sorted, but i still hate them and that annoying automated voice he grates my nerves.

who else hates the automated voice on eircoms customer service line?

and the scam with the broad band, advetised as two months free trial however you don't get your frre two months untill you've paid up and subscribed for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazy days

If any one has eircom phoine watch and wants to get broad band, its my experience that it cost over the odds of 100 euro to have it installed.

crazy days wrote:
    and the scam with the broad band, advetised as two months free trial however you don't get your frre two months untill you've paid up and subscribed for a year

Same happened with me...took months to get my money back!!!

Damn bastards cut you off at Christmas....scum!!!

I was told it might take a fortnight for them to 'test the line properly' Is there any point in me pushing it by calling again?!

Can Comreg help in matters like this?

Considering they have the monopoly in laying the infrastructure, do they have a legal requirement to provide a BB service to all their customers?

sticker wrote:
    I was told it might take a fortnight for them to 'test the line properly' Is there any point in me pushing it by calling again?!

Can Comreg help in matters like this?

Considering they have the monopoly in laying the infrastructure, do they have a legal requirement to provide a BB service to all their customers?

Comreg are just as much a bunch of waisters, deregulation me ARCHE, hold them to thier word after the physical test.

I'd go to the minister or your local politician ! sounds mad but it would get better results !! Aak Joe Higgins in Blanch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Drapper wrote:
    Comreg are just as much a bunch of waisters, deregulation me ARCHE, hold them to thier word after the physical test.

I'd go to the minister or your local politician ! sounds mad but it would get better results !! Aak Joe Higgins in Blanch!

What is the point in calling ComReg a regulator???
    Eircom laugh whatever they say off and just keep bullsh|tting!!!

• Advertisement

To re-iterate my situation with Irish BB, They came out a month ago, did a test on my roof -passed, I was then told by the contractors that a cherry-picker was needed to get the disc on my roof and another apponitment would be arranged, 5 minutes later - the door bell rang and the contractor told me that he was onto homebase IBB and the test had now FAILED! - He told me in so many words that if the hasstle factor is too high they leave it...

Just received this in the post this morning;

Broadbandletter.jpg

Advertisement