Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll closed in Politics

Options
  • 07-04-2005 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a poll here and it was closed by Earthman. Now I know polls were disabled a long time ago because certain posters were posting polls every second or third thread, but Polls have been enabled again since the VB upgrade.

I posted a poll here a few weeks ago and 139 people voted. No mod at that time told me polls were still banned orclosed the poll, gandalf just posted this.

So why now has my new poll being closed, I think its a very valid question and it would be interesting to see what people on boards think???
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Also there is no mention of polls been banned in the Charter??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In fairness, Earthman posted this, on the thread with the closed poll.
    Earthman wrote:
    We let one through,unaware that the change to VB3 probably by default re-opened the ability to create polls on this forum.

I don't know if it refers to your other poll Irish1, but it seems pretty clear cut.

Why isn't it in the charter and why wasn't I informed I shouldn't post any more polls when I posted the last one?

Well in fairness Irish1, it may have slipped our minds after the last poll you slipped in.
    Why didnt you tell us when you did that last poll(the one that we let go) then that the poll function was reinstalled unbeknownst to us, even though as you say you were perfectly aware that polls werent allowed anymore?

We're actually fairly busy people by the way moderating a busy board and take decisions to keep it running smoothly.

As moderator,I closed your poll and told you why.
    There was iirc a sticky thread around the time that polls were disabled indicating that they were and why.The genesis of the reason is in the discussion on the rules thread as it was after that, that the Admins were asked to disable the function.

Polls may be restored at some point on the board when the moderation team decide that it is ok to do so and when we have discussed the parameters and rules for creating them such that it will not be possible for them to be used as a soap box or as a clutterage device on the board.
    The board is far tidier without them in my view and it's a discussion board so really, it should encourage discussion rather than hit and run voting .
    On a personal note I find it ironic that you are here on feedback giving out about the closing of a poll on SF's relationship with the IRA when the other day(and in your journal) you state that the board is obsessed with SF...

The decision on polls applies by the way to all polls of course, whether they be about the iconic nature of the black mongoose in the Fianna Fáil party,the size of the European wine lake or anything else, there is no distinction being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I think the "who would you vote for" type poll was a valid poll, but do you believe gerry and martin are on the army council is very very subjective and contentious while people voting preferences arent.

• Advertisement

But Earthman why didn't you or Gandalf tell me polls still weren't allowed when I posted my last poll??

All gandalf said was ummm I thought polls were disabled, if he had told me that polls were not allowed and asked me not to post any more polls then I wouldn't have.

The fact is no-one told me my last poll wasn't allowed, there is no rule in the Charter that says its not allowed so I really can't see why I wasn't entitled to post the poll.

As for it being ironic, I was simply taking a discussion from 2 threads where it was off topic and putting it into its own thread, if you would rather we continue to discuss this in the other threads then close my new one and I will take the discussion up again in the other threads.

IMO my thread and poll was valid, no rule was broken and I wasn't told not to post another poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

irish1 wrote:
    IMO my thread and poll was valid, no rule was broken and I wasn't told not to post another poll.
    But you understand now that polls aren't allowed on Politics yeah, its all clear now?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've got a question for you Irish1. We can even make it into a poll if you like :)

"Why does it always seem to be you that has a problem with the mods in Politics when hundreds, if not thousands of others seem to muddle through ok."

If polls are not allowed, I'll switch off the ability to create them for users then. Mods?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

DeVore wrote:
    If polls are not allowed, I'll switch off the ability to create them for users then. Mods?

afaik it was only an oversight during the VB3 upgrade which switched them back on. This wasn't in the charter because something which was believed to be beyond the capabilities of users doesn't need legislating for, although afair there is mention of it in the discussion of the rules sticky.

My view is that if you can switch them off for users DeVore please do. - to return to the status quo.

DeVore wrote:
    I've got a question for you Irish1. We can even make it into a poll if you like :)

"Why does it always seem to be you that has a problem with the mods in Politics when hundreds, if not thousands of others seem to muddle through ok."

DeV.
    Dev,

I have no problem with polls being disabled, I also have no problem with the mods. My issue here was that IMO I didn't do anything wrong, going by my previous thread there was no indication that I shouldn't have posted a poll and the Charter doesn't state that polls are not allowed.

I post very often in the politics board and I support a party that many people have issues with I do report posts quite often because people post statement that are not proven and they offer these statements are accepted facts. The reason I started that poll was because Sand had said in 2 threads that I didn't counter his argument, I wanted to bring this discussion to a seperate thread and I posted the poll to see what others thought, I mean the poll could have went either way.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    My issue here was that IMO I didn't do anything wrong, going by my previous thread there was no indication that I shouldn't have posted a poll and the Charter doesn't state that polls are not allowed.
    Are you saying that the reason you posted this thread was to say "I didn't do anything wrong."?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Gordon wrote:
    Are you saying that the reason you posted this thread was to say "I didn't do anything wrong."?
    Well it was to discuss why the poll was closed, if you read the thread you will see that Earthman said there would be no discussion on that in the thread. I didn't understand why this poll was locked when the poll I posted weeks ago remains open and no-one said there was anything wrong with posting that poll.

The second post by gandalf says
    for the time being
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

irish1 wrote:
    My issue here was that IMO I didn't do anything wrong,

Given that you didn't mention getting warned and/or banned, I think its pretty clear that the mods didn't think you'd done anything *wrong* either.

And while its none of my business, wouldn't it have made more sense to first ask Earthman over PM why he did it, rather than making a public fuss about it?
    going by my previous thread there was no indication
    Several indications were just pointed out to you. Your objection/question seems to be "if polls aren't allowed, why isn't in the charter and/or just plain unavailable like they used to be?"

Its a fair question, but I don't see why you couldn't ask the mods themselves (maybe you did...I'm just guessing that seeing as you didn't mention it, you didn't do it), or in the thread in the Politics forum for discussing the Politics forum rules.....

<tinfoil-hat-conspiracy-mode on>

Its almost as if you wanted the admins to be involved...

<tinfoil-hat-conspiracy-mode off>

jc

Nah Bonkey the reason I didn't pm was because I have been doing that too often lately and Earthman said it couldn't be discussed in politics so I thought feedback was teh place to be and Earthman agreed by saying http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2582204&postcount=5

irish1 wrote:
    I also have no problem with the mods.
    Well you are giving the mods the opposite impression, I have 21 pms in my inbox from you alone querying mod decisions in the last month and maybe 5 or 6 from different other people.
    It may have escaped your attention, how many times you pm the mods of politics, but it was crazy.
    My issue here was that IMO I didn't do anything wrong, going by my previous thread there was no indication that I shouldn't have posted a poll and the Charter doesn't state that polls are not allowed.
    Well you weren't chastised were you for the thread and the thread wasn't closed, its just the poll that was shut down.
    Honestly you are being overly sensitive.
    DeVore wrote:
    DeV.
    Yes DeV that would be my preference also.I reckon as Uberwolf said it was just an oversight probably with the switch to the new Vbulletin that they were switched on.
    They should be off at least untill the mods have time to devise a structure for their creation(ie a workable rule) such that the Board doesnt become cluttered with them again.

Earthman wrote:
    Well you are giving the mods the opposite impression, I have 21 pms in my inbox from you alone querying mod decisions in the last month and maybe 5 or 6 from different other people.
    It may have escaped your attention, how many times you pm the mods of politics, but it was crazy.
    As I said above I know I have been sending mods too many pm's but I don't have a problem with the mods, I think in general they do a good job, I think most of those PM's were sent to bring your attention to certain posts.
    Earthman wrote:
    Well you weren't chastised were you for the thread and the thread wasn't closed, its just the poll that was shut down.
    Honestly you are being overly sensitive.

I just wanted to know why, and you said I couldn't ask in the thread, so I asked here, and I explained why I thought a poll was ok, the other poll is still open.

irish1 wrote:
    I just wanted to know why, and you said I couldn't ask in the thread, so I asked here, and I explained why I thought a poll was ok, the other poll is still open.
    It was made perfectly clear in the thread that polls werent being allowed.The only new information I had to offer here was that the mods have lives outside of boards.ie and in this case let your previous poll slip off down the front page and into history.
    If we had a special brain implant to enable us to automatically clear up all loose ends then maybe that would be helpfull, but my VHI probably wouldnt cover it.

If it makes you rest easier, if your poll wasnt there this morning and another poll on a completely different subject was there I would also have closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I found reading this thread whilst humming the X-Files theme tune instructive.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    Well it was to discuss why the poll was closed, if you read the thread you will see that Earthman said there would be no discussion on that in the thread. I didn't understand why this poll was locked when the poll I posted weeks ago remains open and no-one said there was anything wrong with posting that poll.
    Ah right I see.

So everything cool now? Can we get back to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

irish1 wrote:
    The second post by gandalf says :confused:

I've presented the post that states that polls are being curtailed.

can you find the post that says that this restriction has been lifted?

Most certainly Gordon, back to work we go.

Billy I think I've explained my position well enough no need to take the discussion any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DeVore wrote:
    Yes please.
    irish1 wrote:
    My issue here was that IMO I didn't do anything wrong
    I'm open to correction here but I don't think anyone's implied that you did. I certainly think that no-one's said that you did.

sceptre wrote:
    Yes please.

I'm open to correction here but I don't think anyone's implied that you did. I certainly think that no-one's said that you did.
    Well I took it that I must have done something wrong to have had my poll closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

irish1 wrote:
    Well I took it that I must have done something wrong to have had my poll closed?
    No, not necessarily. I suppose if I want to be picky or precise about it, it was something undesirable but there isn't necessarily a blame factor attached to that (and in this case there isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok at the moment I am around very little due to an illness in the family (I am spending and will be spending alot of my free time in hospital). But on seeing this I felt I just had to reply.

Tom disable polls please, they are just a means of the lazy to fire up crap on the politics forum.

Irish1 I am getting extremely fed up of your set my people free attitude. When I posted on that original thread I meant to send a message to the admins to ask them to disable polls, I forgot and now I see this crap here again.

I just wanted to know why it was closed Gandalf, as I have said if you had told me not to post polls again after my last poll or closed that poll saying such I wouldn't have posted this new poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You knew polls where not allowed, and you also knew that it was only a loopehole in the upgrade that allowed you to post polls. Despite it not being in the charter, you where well aware of the moderators position on polls. Yet you where surprise when they closed it. You and people like you are the reason why boards doesn't have a set down list or rules. Because some damn fool will think that they are the only rules, and if something is no there in the rules then it must be ok to do. If I posted a poll of politics and it was closed I may have asked why, not know the current views of the moderators, you on the other hand are well aware of them, and they where even pointed out again to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement