Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll closed in Politics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Boston wrote:
    You knew polls where not allowed, and you also knew that it was only a loopehole in the upgrade that allowed you to post polls. Despite it not being in the charter, you where well aware of the moderators position on polls. Yet you where surprise when they closed it. You and people like you are the reason why boards doesn't have a set down list or rules. Because some damn fool will think that they are the only rules, and if something is no there in the rules then it must be ok to do. If I posted a poll of politics and it was closed I may have asked why, not know the current views of the moderators, you on the other hand are well aware of them, and they where even pointed out again to you.

Boston,

I presumed that since the poll function was available that polls were allowed again so I posted my party poll and gandalf or any other mod didn't close it or tell me not to post polls. So when I posted this poll I believed Polls were allowed. I think that was a fair assumption to make.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I feel we haven't gone anywhere near deep enough into the reason why the poll was closed. I think irish1 should open a new poll asking posters why they think the poll was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Don't worry about it irish1, it's all just a big conspiracy involving the PSNI, the SAS and the Admins. You'll be collected for processing shortly...

Sleepy wrote:
    Don't worry about it irish1, it's all just a big conspiracy involving the PSNI, the SAS and the Admins. You'll be collected for processing shortly...
    Ah not again sleepy I still can't walk right after the last time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I presumed that since the poll function was available that polls were allowed again

And it got closed when it turned out it wasn't. Big bloody deal!

• Advertisement

But it didn't get closed BuffyBot, thats the my point, after I posted my party poll a week or so ago the function remained open and no-one told me not to post a poll again. So what else was I to think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

This post has been deleted.

Who are you and what have you done with merc!!!

Aieeeeeee!! Fleeeeeee!! The body-snatchers are here!! Either that or else they wish to re-enact that episode of SouthPark with cartman and his 80ft satelite dish probe .... Not good!

*ahem* cough* On topic, yes yes. Errr, down with polls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So what else was I to think?

You made an assumption. It was wrong, move along.

I have but people keep posting in here, esckor feel to free to close this.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You've a funny way of moving along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Am I the only one who thinks that closing down the 'polls' options in Politics is a little ironic? it's like taking away peoples rights to vote!

And I know that there are some who are abusing the system, but maybe there is a way around it? Like how about allowing polls but they must be approved by one of the Pol Mods first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

PH01 wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks that closing down the 'polls' options in Politics is a little ironic? it's like taking away peoples rights to vote!

And I know that there are some who are abusing the system, but maybe there is a way around it? Like how about allowing polls but they must be approved by one of the Pol Mods first?

How about the fact that internet polls are just dumb.

Irish1's last poll results would mean (if they were representive of the real world) that SF would have a slim majority and their major opposition would be the greens, while both FF and FG would be marginisaled parties struggling to get a few seats between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PH01 wrote:
    it's like taking away peoples rights to vote!
    Sure it is.

mycroft wrote:

Irish1's last poll results would mean (if they were representive of the real world) that SF would have a slim majority and their major opposition would be the greens, while both FF and FG would be marginisaled parties struggling to get a few seats between them.
    Real world!!!, nah Boards is the real world everything else is just fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

mycroft wrote:

I always thought that these polls are more a reflection on the people reading Boardsie.
    And probablt you're right about the poll result you stated above. They don't tell you anything really. That is unless there is hundreds and thousands of Shinner sleeper cells ready to awaken at the next election - but we shouldn't worry about that as the Greens will be there to save the day.

So maybe it's time for Mods to approve polls before they go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

PH01 wrote:
    So maybe it's time for Mods to approve polls before they go up.

I think the politics mods have the toughest job on boards*. If they feel that polls are a waste of time and aren't inclinded to moderate them (cause in fairness there have been a few really really really stupid polls (ah omnicorp)) You're asking to dump some extra work on their shoulders because you feel you're being disenfranchised.

Politics is a forum for discussion of politics. At best politics polls allow the users of the politics forum to do some navel gazing about themselves, and their views. Which is what meaningful debate is for. The polls are shorthand, and not very good shorthand at that. The debate gauges peoples opinions.

*Aside from after hours. Man they should make moding after hours part of some kind of community service.

Advertisement