Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul calibur 3 is Mulitformat (kinda)

• 07-04-2005 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

t is looking likely that a version of Soul Calibur III will be shown for Microsoft’s next-generation of Xbox and Nintendo’s Revolution at next month’s E3, overwriting last week’s news of Sony exclusivity.

According to a Namco representative, “Namco is definitely planning to develop the Soul Calibur series on the next-generation platforms. However, when we started development for SCIII, the specs for the next-generation platforms were not set, and there were no dev kits, which ultimately lead (sic) us to development on the PS2,” debunking recent claims that the revived offering was already underway for GameCube and Xbox.

Namco continued, “Essentially, Namco wanted to create a game with even more content than in Soul Calibur II, so we made the choice to focus on a single platform. And when we thought about choosing a single platform, we wanted it to be on the platform that has the greatest penetration in the current marketplace, that being PS2. Namco is very excited about bringing SCIII to the PS2 and the team has worked very hard on maximizing the graphics for SCIII, which [we] think will please franchise fans.”

So again we are left wondering what the term 'platform exclusive' actually means. It seems more than likely that Soul Calibur III will be shown in more than its PlayStation 2 guise at this year’s E3, though SPOnG thinks it's likely to be accompanied by a release date six months or so after the Sony debut.

We’ll bring you updates as they come in.

Kinda in that noone has the formats it also coming out on, think i wait for the next gen version.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Graphics and market penetration... nice to see there hearts in the right place :rolleyes:

I know, I know.. they're a business... but SCII was just so damn good on the 'Cube :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

well, yeah, but how many 'Cubes have sold compared to PS2s? So what's their potential customer base.

I'm a Cube owner and quite happy with it, but you can't really have a grudge against developers for wanting to get a financial return on their product. Especially not when development costs are going up into the millions for titles like Half Life 2, etc.

The notion of a "platform exclusive" always bugged me; it only really suits hardware manufacturers, not developers (restricting potential customer base) or gamers (if you want to play a platform-only game, you have to buy that platform). And frankly, that kind of sucks.

Advertisement