Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Sounds

Options
  • 07-04-2005 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

i was just finishing up at work here in nethouse in cork.. and i got to thinkin bout those sounds that are really satisfying.. whether it be that agression you want to get out of it or the anticipation side of it... one of my pet sounds is the sound of a cash register slamming shut... there's somethin about that sound that makes me go OOOOOH YEAH.... so phantomeees... what are your pet sounds???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

The sound of a car reversing over gravel always got me for some reason but my favourite sound has always been the sound of a football hitting either the post or crossbar, its a weird kind of snapping sound of leather crashing off wood ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

The sound of a cork popping from a bottle of bubbley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The sound of my bosses car driving away..you know the sound it sounds just like a normal car driving away only far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

thats a good one howard... my girlfriend bought me a zebedee teddy thingy.. you know.. the springy guy from magic roundabout.. the sound of him springin about the place is pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LeonaK

That first "glug, glug, glug" from a bottle of wine. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Ya lush.

The crunch crunch of freshly fallen snow underfoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the sort of hollow BONK noice that a frisbee makes when hitting off a perticularly hollow head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

The sound of glass smashing is pretty cool, like in "No Good" by The Prodigy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Laine

Sound of someone laughing without inhibition

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I know natureish ones are obvious...

but a stream, birds in the morning etc. Note the intro to "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors, and "Le femme d'Argent" by Air.

the sound when you blow on the top of a bottle half full of beer etc.

the sound of the discs your back cracking after being stiff....

that high pitched whistley, whoosey sound using an analog tuner on a radio.

Edit : just thought too.... a wood fire crackling away.... right i'm done :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I know natureish ones are obvious...

but a stream, birds in the morning etc. Note the intro to "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors, and "Le femme d'Argent" by Air.

the sound when you blow on the top of a bottle half full of beer etc.

the sound of the discs your back cracking after being stiff....

that high pitched whistley, whoosey sound using an analog tuner on a radio.

Edit : just thought too.... a wood fire crackling away.... right i'm done :D

Good selection, I was composing a concerto in my head on a beer bottle on Friday night, 'twas a thing of beauty.

Without wishing to sound like a paedo the sounds of kids playing is melodic, a la Belle & Sebastians "Yo tengo un novio..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

the smell of petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

The sound of a franticly purring cat when you've just woken up/got home.

The sound of a gut wrenching belch when you've just had your first beer of the day.

The sound of rain on a tent canvas when you are warmly tucked inside a sleeping bag.

and the sound of a fruit machine paying out big time.. I dont understand this one because I don't even play the things.

i've never heard the smell of petrol before.. you must have really good hearing Ragga... i also like the relief of the sound of silence when you've been flooded with noise... like when the fridge switches off so ya can hear the radio properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

The opening cholds of AC/DC's "Highway To Hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

bubble wrap....
    sound of new cellophane coming off a new cd..
    when ur in the shower and a big spalt of water hits the bath.. splat...
    the sound of my new car...brummmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

I like the sound of wind chimes!! and i love the sound of the sea but only when is goin back over the sea shells on the beach!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

the sound of my two sons sleeping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tombo

Some great selections here. The glub of the bottle of wine - I concur. Other sounds I love include bees on a hot day when you're lying in the garden. Those Japanese water features where a wooden container fills with water then falls, emptying the water before rising again. The start of Planet Telex - reminds me of when it used wake me every morning at 4am with I was working a crazy job. The creaking of the timber of a house when the sun shines on it in the morning and it is Saturday (this noise never comes weekdays). Thunder rumbling in the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

The popping noise rice krispies make,reminds me of my childhood! The patter of rain on the window.My little cousin trying to whisper something to me. Its all soft and fuzzy.

• Advertisement

The sound of a cigarette burning in the middle of the night when you're puffing out a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Tombo wrote:
    The sound of a cigarette burning in the middle of the night when you're puffing out a window.

Before Kavanagh's on Aungier St. went mainstream, it had an old-world type purely-mechanical till which I would imagine operated using an elaborate system of weights and pulleys. It made a series of ping noises as your purchase (usually a quarter of cough sweets) was keyed in.

Anyway, twas a nice noise. You felt your money was really being recognised.

spiderlegs wrote:
    The popping noise rice krispies make,reminds me of my childhood!

forgot bout that one... isn't that where Snap, Crackle and Pop came from? oh those crazy guys, and poor pop used to always get the short end of the stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mittens

The chord change at the start of Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

roxy wrote:
    Before Kavanagh's on Aungier St. went mainstream
    I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

scarfacemj wrote:
    I love it

It's no joking matter. :(

"But Moe.....the dank!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Yeah thats it! Poor pop indeed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

roxy wrote:
    "But Moe.....the dank!"
    ah the dank how I miss thee....much harder to shoplift out of there now, what with them 'avin all them there new gadgets n ****

The sound of ice crackling in a glass as Jameson is poured onto it. Followed by the gentle clunking of the cubes together as I swirl it about a little. Savouring the sound and the moment before the first soul warming sip.

Also, the tinging/pinging noise of an engine after a long car journey when you are finally safe in your own driveway.

And yes, I would usually hear these sounds in reverse order in case anybody starts on at me about the old drink driving. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement