Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 lack the passion of football

• 07-04-2005 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Remember the days when you switched on the TV before a Liverpool european game, 5 minutes before kick-off to see a sea of red scarfs and 'You'll Never Walk Alone' ringing out? Or Hertha Berlin fans singing a version of Rod Stuarts 'Sailing'?
    Nowadays commercial profit is more important than building up the emotion of a football game, with an advertisement break.
    E.G. Liverpool Vs Juventus. We hear the panel commentating on the emotional scenes before the game, the fans singing, gesturing, all while we got to sit down in front of a commercial break!
    When watching delayed coverage of Ireland v China there was a 10 minute ad break. They never played the national anthem.
    The way things are headed, they won't even show the trophy being presented, just move to an ad. It's ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

TV3 arent the only channel that do it. The stations realise that one of the peak tv viewing audiences where they can predict a demographic (majority: men, like football, probably from 18-45 peak ages) and they sell as much space for adverts as they can. If they could get away with 15 minutes of ads at half time, id say they would try it. Its a big money maker for them and independent TV stations (such as TV3, ITV etc) need to make money.

Not much we can do about it im afraid except switch off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That's why BBCs coverage is the best, I'd love to see them get the rights for the champions league off of UTV, who are useless. Coaches View is possibley the most pathetic thing I've seen on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

The thing that annoys me about TV3 is the length and regularity of their ad breaks, I've timed them before and they were just shy of 6 minutes each! At halftime on Tuesday night they had two, so that leaves about 3 minutes for the first half to be 'analysed', pathetic :mad:What happened to when ad breaks were only 3 minutes long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jeez. If you want atmosphere, Go to the match!!!

It's television for God's sake. They need the revenue so that they can produce the programmes so you can watch them and then moan about the quality.

Consider yourself lucky that it's not as bad as the States where they have a commercial break only to return to say thanks for watching and then roll credits!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

BaZmO* wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky that it's not as bad as the States where they have a commercial break only to return to say thanks for watching and then roll credits!!!

Very true, we dont have it anywhere near as bad as the yanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Well TV3 are only starting out. They dont get a licence fee either. The craic is with RTE, they get BOTH a licence fee and ads. Thats all wrong. They should no ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

as annoying as adverts are, i would much rather watch them than listen to what mark lawrenson has to say. i dont rate any of the analysts on tv3 and dont even get me started on the commentary, e.g. i think it was the lyon game i was watching late tuesday night, the ball went out for a goal kick and the commentator says its half time and starts recapping the half, all the time the gk is getting the ball,placing it for a goal kick, kicking the ball, a forward heads the ball...

then the commentator says "oh the game is still on", thank god the ref blew it up just then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have gotten to the stage where i just switch on at exactly kick off even with Sky and BBC just build ups not the same anymore, too much foobtall on tv has made them pretty much obselete anf with the huge money being paid for football the ads have to be shown (but not by tv3 they dont pay for anything)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sky is the only channel I watch build-ups on as they have loads of interviews, etc. I never watch half time or full time analysis, I can make a judgement for myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I could be wrong but i don't think the BBC can get champ league rights because of the ads for amstel, sony, etc..., but it would be great if they got the rights because Itv are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i know this is slightly off topic, but if ya ever watch a movie on TV3 they have an ad break for 4.5 minutes every twenty minutes. they regularly turn 1h 30min movies into 2 and a half hour jobs, its crazy.

still though, its kinda understandable for the above mentioned income reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

eirebhoy wrote:
    I never watch half time or full time analysis, I can make a judgement for myself. :)

I agree, I can't stand the endless interviews with players, managers etc after the games, all they ever do is trot out the same annoying cliches about 'a tough game', 'opposing team gave us a tough time' etc etc.
    Overlkill if you ask me.

As for TV3, well they don't have the money so you sould not expect top class coverage by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

itv was one of my favourites, back in the day of ron atkinson! but its not anymore. i really like rte coverage at the moment, dunphy giles and brady are class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Shred wrote:
    The thing that annoys me about TV3 is the length and regularity of their ad breaks, I've timed them before and they were just shy of 6 minutes each! At halftime on Tuesday night they had two, so that leaves about 3 minutes for the first half to be 'analysed', pathetic :mad:What happened to when ad breaks were only 3 minutes long?

I never timed it for sport but TV3 show a 6minute ad break during films every 30mins (ie 20% ads.)

I'm convinced the tv people in general won't be satisfied until there is adbreaks DURING the actual game itself (similar to F1).

Don't watch the TV3 analysis anyway. You'd have to be mad to sit there listening to that creep Lawro and his braindamaged mate Toshack droning on about a game that no longer exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

ITV has to be the worst of them all. Realistically, none of the presenters have the slighest notion about football. I am totally against women presenting football ! They havent a clue so why pretend.

TV3 is swamped with ads, dodgy set, packie bonner who doesnt look relaxed , and lawero and tosh who just ramble on.

BBC is a lot better since it has no ads. Its a little bit dry or something. RTE is very good IMO. Giles and Brady really understand the football and dunphy is good when he talks about the game as a whole. Pity RTE are taking both ads and tv licence. thats rip off ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

in defence of TV3 after the main match of the night they normally do show quite long extended highlights in comparison to RTE, in RTE you basically get to see the goals and maybe one or two brief passages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TV3 should not be allowded football. TG4 would do a better job than TV3 and TG4 would be in Irish. I listen to 5 Live with the sound on TV3 turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement