Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Sticky (Split from thread)

Options
  • 06-04-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Yop, you're a genius. When I start building for real, I'll add all my contacts. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Would this be regarded as advertising by the Admins here Yop.

Giving recommendations for companies that have given good service, and maybe negative comments to companies that do not have a chance to comment from their point if view. Is that reasonable.

I'm only posing the question, I have had a ot of contact with the tf names you're quoting, both good and bad. But I would not give a negative comment unless they have a chance to defend their position.

Just my thoughts,

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kadman wrote:
    Would this be regarded as advertising by the Admins here Yop.

Giving recommendations for companies that have given good service, and maybe negative comments to companies that do not have a chance to comment from their point if view. Is that reasonable.

I'm only posing the question, I have had a ot of contact with the tf names you're quoting, both good and bad. But I would not give a negative comment unless they have a chance to defend their position.

Just my thoughts,

Jaysus Kadman, what negative feedback, told it as it was. You work/worked for one of them timber frame companies???
    This has been passed by admins, BUT if people think that I should remove the negative feedback fair enough, but personally I put up under each company I dealt with how they dealt with me, wheather it was good or bad.

I'm just posing the question Yop, your first post invites comments from the lads and lassies to "have an opinion on how it went or not in some cases."

I presume this means the good and bad points of dealing with certain companies, there in is the opportunity to post neg feedback about a company, without their ability to answer.

I could post a long list of so called company friends of mine , saying they did work for me , my point being that this could be used for advertising this way.

I thought I was making a valid point, did n't realise you would view it as a negative opinion of your post.

Sorry for having an opinion. :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Your alright lad, your opinions here are well regarded ;)

For the record I don't work in construction and anyone listed above are not mates of mine at all, I have my mates doing the plastering, roof, block, spark but I did not put them up as that really is too blatant.

The reason I started the sticky is to provide a central source for selfbuilders/DIYers for list of companies out there.
    IF people wish to leave a comment they can , if they prefer not to then that is their option.

If Seamus wants to review this then fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Well Yop Ye're not readin between the lines RooKad are an excellent firm of consultants and they didn't get a mention :)

• Advertisement

Yeah .right on Rooferpete, and they didn't get paid for their last job either....or was it their first job..he.he.

Rookad Timber Construction Consultants.

When you've tried the rest, Come to the best.
    If its quality info you want, and you got money to spend , shop here.

If you want , cheep, cheep,....buy a budgie

kadman :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yop did consult me, and I reckon it's OK, as long as companies themselves don't post up under the pretence of being a customer (which is really easy to spot anyway).

But I don't want to keep an eye.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2582687#post2582687

seamus wrote:
    Yop did consult me, and I reckon it's OK, as long as companies themselves don't post up under the pretence of being a customer (which is really easy to spot anyway).

But I don't want to keep an eye.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2582687#post2582687

Hi Seamus,

Whats to stop me from recommending a lot of companies that I have dealt with, and friends of mine that work in the construction industry, and then receiving a referal fee from the company in question. No one would ever know.

My point being that it could be open to abuse . I don't think that type of thing would be easy to spot. I wouldn't like to see anyone on the boards here taken advantage of in that fashion.

Example.
    I know all the tf companies posted, and some on excellent terms.

1 .I contact tf 1, tf 2, tf 3. I ask them for a 5% referal fee for any one I refer.
    2. I post on the boards and reccommend tf tf1, tf2, tf3. And tell the queriest's " Tell them Kadman sent You, and You'll get a good deal "
    3. I go to tf 1,2,3, and collect my fee.

Go to Barbados for my hols...he.he.

Ah well maybe everyone might not be thinking that way Kadman, it will have to be looked at on each recommendation, at the end of the day, if people want to approach a company then the details are there, if they get a good quote and are happy with the purchase compared to what else they have seen then fair enough.

The idea as I said is to create a pool of information for people, if it is suspected that someone is blatantly pushing a tradesman or company then action will be taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kadman wrote:
    And tell the queriest's " Tell them Kadman sent You, and You'll get a good deal "
    And instantly your scam is revealed.

"PM me for more info", "Tell them I sent you", "Mention boards to get a discount", are all tell-tale pointers. :)

Someone of course could post a godo review about their mates, that's taken for granted. If someone uses that company then and finds that the review is inaccurate, they can post so. If they find the review is accurate, they need say nothing, or post the approval. Everyone wins.

Of course it's open to abuse, but I don't think that's a good reason for not allowing it. If we used that excuse, many of the valued stickied threads on other boards wouldn't be allowed (Know your nerds on AH, Gyms & Reviews on Fitness, for example).

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yop / Seamus,

There is another issue that has not been taken into account, the right of reply.

I posted above in jest not using my standard signature but as a trader I do find there are usually two sides to every story.

For example I never hide the fact that I don't do "cheap", I do know how but I choose not to, also my overhead can be a lot higher than other traders so a cost difference can come into play.

I think it might be better if the comments or reviews are very carefully written because I do know if someone left negative feedback regarding my business I would not be too happy.

If the full details were not disclosed and I felt my business reputation was harmed I may feel obliged to seek legal opinion.

There is a fine line that must not be crossed in either direction, I have advised against certain business practices by private email giving my reasons, at that point it's up to the individual to look further or use the companies services.

The idea is a good one but there may be consequences and the last thing we need is an online argument between supplier, service provider and consumer.

Just my €500.00 ;)

seamus wrote:

Of course it's open to abuse, but I don't think that's a good reason for not allowing it.

My 2c.

Point taken Seamus.

But I never ever suggested it should not be allowed, Jaysus Yop would never pay his Rookad consultation fee then.....which by the way Yop is accrueing interest as we spaek..he..he.

I think we'll have to send the heavies around Rooferpete :D

Advertisement