Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKYPE a few questions

2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Peanut wrote:
    Which more than likely needs the firewall admin to install.
    Absolutely. It simply requires a couple of well-known outbound ports to be opened (5060 for SIP, for example). That gives the firewall admin the facility to decide whether or not to allow VoIP traffic through the network, and if so, how to manage it.

I know there are those who think they should have more say over what goes through a firewall than the person whose actual job it is to run it, but I have trouble subscribing to that view.
    Peanut wrote:
    I read most of the thread, for what it's worth I think there are far greater problems on a network than managing Skype.
    That's been my experience in the real world also, but the nature of Skype is such that it's not inconceivable that it could become as big a problem as P2P did.
    Peanut wrote:
    Saying that it's "subverting the internet" is a bit over the top to say the least, the Internet must have been "subverted" many times over at this stage!
    With the possible exception of virus problems, I really think the explosion of P2P is the first time that the Internet has seen a huge volume of traffic that is designed to work around the carefully-constructed suite of Internet protocols, instead of co-existing peacefully with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 The One

threads too long / im too lazy to read.....
    but i gota Qs.

Is there a point in using skype with eircoms sh1tty upload?
    Do ye that use it actually pay for that SkypeOut thing?
    Is it worth using it to ring mobile numbers, having to talk into a mic rather then pickin up da fone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm on eircoms slowest bb and Skype works perfectly fine for me. Skype - Skype calls are very good quality.
    Skype - land line can be slightly variable, but I've had no problem with calling land lines and mobiles in the UK.

You do have to pay for SkypeOut inorder to be able to call real phones, but it is defiantely worth it for me calling the UK quite often.

An aproxiamtely 1hr 50min call to the UK cost me 1.80 with Skype but would have been 13.70 with Eircom.

It was a bit strange at first talking with the headset as you dont get any echo of yourself back so have to be careful that you dont shout, but you get used to that after a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

You can also get a Skype DECT phone - http://www.dualphone.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

Alot of you say Skype works well for you...just wondering though...does anyone else get siginificant delays? I've tested it a few times and there have been serious delays which make conversations confusing. The person at the other end was on IBB Wireless - would that make any difference with delays?? Having read this thread, I'm presuming I don't have to forward ports or create pinholes or whatever on a dsl router? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The delays could well be down to the wireless connection.
    I was getting perfectly fine Skype to Skype from the Eircom connection before the upgrade to an even lower bandwidth connection in the UK. But I guess that the actual speed fo the connection is more of the issue than the bandwidth itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Skype isn't perfect. I have the occasional problem with drop-outs or delays. I'm not sure if it's at my end or the called party's end. I suppose it's a fact of life with VoIP type of applications.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blaster99 wrote:
    Skype isn't perfect. I have the occasional problem with drop-outs or delays. I'm not sure if it's at my end or the called party's end. I suppose it's a fact of life with VoIP type of applications.

Its also certainly not worth it for callingf mobiles in Ireland their does not appear to be much of a price difference when it comes down to it...however landlines are dirt cheap and Skype and VoIP in generally are certainly the way to go if your calling a landline in in Europe or USA or even down the road :)

However I'm sure things will improve as the technology improves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Calling almost any mobile from anywhere is around the same price as that's what the mobile networks charge for terminating calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Almost...but...

Singapore 0.012
    Singapore Mobile 0.013
    Ireland - Mobile (Vodafone) 0.180

So it's 13 times cheaper to phone a mobile in Singapore than to phone a mobile in Ireland :(
    I wonder how much the roaming charge would be if I registered a mobile phone in Singapore :D

causal

• Advertisement

EliCash wrote:
    Alot of you say Skype works well for you...just wondering though...does anyone else get siginificant delays? I've tested it a few times and there have been serious delays which make conversations confusing. The person at the other end was on IBB Wireless - would that make any difference with delays?? Having read this thread, I'm presuming I don't have to forward ports or create pinholes or whatever on a dsl router? Cheers.

EliCash, presume that you're talking about Skype to Skype instead of a Skypeout call?

Skype to Skype should be more or less perfect, however on Skypeout it's a lot more variable, probably because they're routing the calls via god knows where...

If you are having problems with a Skype to Skype call, try to find some bandwidth monitoring software to check that you don't have stuff using up bandwidth in the background on your PC.

While I use S2S much more often than SkypeOut, I've rarely ever had problems with SkypeOut. This leads me to believe that the people I'm calling with S2S are the ones causing the problem, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

paperclip wrote:
    thanks lads.

well my gf lives in london, so skype will certantly save me cash.

but, i'm moving into a new home, and would like a landline.

how about, smart telecom broadband. free line rental, so i can receive calls.

Buddy, forget VOIP, sign up for UTV Talk, free evening and weekend calls to Ireland and UK (landlines only). I have been using it for about 6 months and it has saved me €1000's. Go to http://u.tv/talk

BY the way, I tried SkyPE and it was rubbish, there was a 1 second delay. Not too bad if you are making the occational call but if you're calling your gf all the time it will really do your head in.

Peanut wrote:
    EliCash, presume that you're talking about Skype to Skype instead of a Skypeout call?

Skype to Skype should be more or less perfect, however on Skypeout it's a lot more variable, probably because they're routing the calls via god knows where...

If you are having problems with a Skype to Skype call, try to find some bandwidth monitoring software to check that you don't have stuff using up bandwidth in the background on your PC.

Yeah Skype to Skype but the delay is ridiculous. 2/3 seconds + I'd say. I don't think there's anythin hoggin bandwith on my end(maybe at the other but I doubt it). I thought it should work ok even on 56k modems?? I was using 512k Eircom DSL and my friend was on Irish Broadband Wireless (512k too). The sound quality is excellent but the delay is crazy. It's not feasible for a normal conversation. Anyone any ideas on how to reduce it or has anyone done tests on how short the delay can be. I found an old article on Skype talkin about sub 500ms delays being the norm but I don't know...

Get your friend to tell you their IP address (start->run->cmd->ipconfig in windows), then ping it to see what the delay is (ping -t <ip address> from command prompt), it should be like less than 150ms.

Some of the Irish Broadband gear has high latency I think, so that sounds like the problem. I think it's the case on the newer Ripwave modems, or else the signal might just be crap.

Either way, if you ping it and you are getting high delays, (eg. over 300ms) and/or time outs, then you'll know it's not a Skype problem. If this happens, get your friend to ping somewhere else like ftp.heanet.ie to see if the problem is with their end.

Peanut wrote:
    Get your friend to tell you their IP address (start->run->cmd->ipconfig in windows), then ping it to see what the delay is (ping -t <ip address> from command prompt), it should be like less than 150ms.

Some of the Irish Broadband gear has high latency I think, so that sounds like the problem. I think it's the case on the newer Ripwave modems, or else the signal might just be crap.

Either way, if you ping it and you are getting high delays, (eg. over 300ms) and/or time outs, then you'll know it's not a Skype problem. If this happens, get your friend to ping somewhere else like ftp.heanet.ie to see if the problem is with their end.

Cheers for that!
    Spose I should've checked the ping alright. Didn't really think of that!! Doh! Will give it a shot later. Gonna try someone on a not-IBB connection aswell to see.Thanks!

Perhaps even better would be to get your friend to go to www.myipaddress.com so you get the external IP address, not the 192.168.1.x.

Advertisement