Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector (TV) Licence

Options
  • 07-04-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Do you need a TV licence for a Projector?

It might be pick up boardcast via a VCR but not essential - mainly used for DVDs.

Apologies if this has been asked already (forum search ignored 'TV').

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I think you need a licence if you have any equipment that can receive a TV signal. So with your VCR hooked up and tuned in you may need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If you've got a tuner in your VCR (and the answer is that you do) you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could be a cheeky fúcker and open the case of the VCR, and cut the two cables cominf from the Aerial socket. Then if you get screwed, tell them that it's not capable of receiving. Legally they wouldn't be able to do anything, but it's if you want to go through the bull ****.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Just rang up An Post (should have done this in the first place) and surprise, surprise, you don't need a TV Licence for a projector even if it is connected to a VCR that can receive broadcasts. Might ring up again just to be sure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know nothing about projectors
    what's the quality like if you compare it to a plasma or lcd screen?

• Advertisement

Plasma's are rubbish.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

really?

do I take from that - that I should buy an lcd, which I was leaning towards anyways?

Well inmy opinion, and the opinion of editors and camera men I've spoken to, the CRT is still the best. If I was forking out, I'd buy a massive CRT Widescreen. Do you have Sky or cable, because the Analogue network in Ireland is broadcast 4:3 which looks **** on a widescreen, unless you strech the image and bend people out of shape. Plasama's depreciate rapidly and they can be often develope faults a month after their warrenty is over. At least 5 people have had this problem, that I've spoken to. Most find that the plasama's display white as Pink and colours are sometimes mashed. One person I know had to pay £900 to have said fault fixed. It's up to yourself. I'd advise talking to people who own them, read reviews. They are getting better, but not a favorite of mine. LCD's are better... but for image quality and longitivity CRT's are the way forward.... but they're big.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Arrgggg. My thread has been hijacked.

I have to agree with John. CRT still has the best picture quality. The problem of course is size, both in terms of the unit and the screen. What is the largest CRT screen size, 36in, 42in? Plasma and LCD are getting bigger and bigger - did Samsung annouce an 100in (something big anyway) LCD awhile back.

Another option is LCD Rear projection. I looked into that before considering projectors. Actually, decided to hold off getting the projector (Screenplay 5700) since I came across HDCP (content protection). Not really relevant now but I expect my money to last a few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement