Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot access office network using BB

• 07-04-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Here is my current situation. I have Eircom BB installed for the past 6months and I cannot access the office network. However, if I dial in using the phone line through Oceanfree for example I have no problems. We also use a VPN secure software. The problem is I am not technical in this area, but if I can access the office by one ISP why can I not access the network with Eircom.
    What I am really asking is what type of Questions do I ask Eircom or my IT department. This is not very high on my IT dept agenda, so I need to get my head around the problem.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ros Man wrote:
    Here is my current situation. I have Eircom BB installed for the past 6months and I cannot access the office network. However, if I dial in using the phone line through Oceanfree for example I have no problems. We also use a VPN secure software. The problem is I am not technical in this area, but if I can access the office by one ISP why can I not access the network with Eircom.
    What I am really asking is what type of Questions do I ask Eircom or my IT department. This is not very high on my IT dept agenda, so I need to get my head around the problem.
    Thanks
    How is your eircom broadband connected?

Are you using a router/modem, just a modem, a wireless router, etc?

If I remember correctly, eircom by default supply a netopia modem that uses NAT. What you need to do is:
    1. Make a note of the Make/Model of your BB modem
    2. Ask your I.T. Dept what ports you need to open to allow incoming connections for the VPN software to work.
    3. Find out (google) how to set up port forwarding on your modem for the port that your IT dept give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

www.portforward.com will likely have details of your modem and how to setup the NAT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've seen this problem many times before.

It has to do with the fact that you are using a DSL modem that is actually a router.
    Such DSL routers use NAT or Network Address Translation, which is normally not present on a dialup modem and it can block VPN traffic.

In the documentation for your VPN software do a search for "NAT Transparency"
    This should describe how to enable NAT Transparency in your VPN software which should fix your problem.

Of course it could be something completely different, but it is usally this.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ros Man

Thank you all for the speedy reply. I have somewhere to start looking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

1. Are you still using your VPN software to make the connection to the office?
    2. Are you able to connect using the VPN s/w but not access anything?
    3. If its just internet you cant use, once youre connected over the VPN are you going through a proxy server and have you changed the proxy settings in your IE settings?

The above 3 Qs were all probs I faced when doing similar to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I'm willing to bet that the IP address of your router is in the same IP range as the network that you are trying to access.

A simple of method of changing this is to log on to your router (you'll get the address by typing ipconfig on the command line. It's your default gateway) via your web-browser.

Then simply change the IP address range of your home network.

For example, you might be set up as being 192.168.1.0 -> 192.168.1.254
    You would then change it to being 192.168.2.0 -> 192.168.2.254

Hope this helps!

Hi Again, thanks for all you advice. The trouble for me is that I am new to all this and I am struggling to get my head around all the possibilities.

Seamus
    I am using a Netopia Cayman Model 3341 DSL USB
    I have my work laptop connected up using USB. The home PC uses the DSL port. I will find out tomorrow about the port I need to open. Any way of finding out by the ipconfig.

bk
    I done a search in the VPN software for NAT Transparency and nothing comes up. No mention anywhere. The software we use is Checkpoint SecureRemote.

clint_silver
    1. Are you still using your VPN software to make the connection to the office? YES
    2. Are you able to connect using the VPN s/w but not access anything?
    The Icon for the Software is flashing, as if it is looking to connect. It does the same as when it is connected using dial-up.
    3. If its just internet you cant use, once youre connected over the VPN are you going through a proxy server and have you changed the proxy settings in your IE settings?
    I have no problem getting internet access using the proxy on or off.

krinpit
    Then simply change the IP address range of your home network.
    How do I go about changing this. I ran the ipconfig and got 3 addresses.
    The IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Wher do I change them.

Sorry for all the Questions and thanks for the feedback to date.

Ros Man wrote:
    >>Then simply change the IP address range of your home network.
    How do I go about changing this. I ran the ipconfig and got 3 addresses.
    The IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Wher do I change them.

As mentioned in my previous post, it's your "Default Gateway". I think eircom is defaulted to "192.168.1.254".

1. Open up internet explorer
    2. Type in the address of your default gateway
    3. I don't have access to a similar console at this time, so you're going to have to "feel" your way around on this one. Look out for any section which has a "range" of IP addresses in it. Then modify them as per my previous post. If you need any help, just post us a screenshot on this board and I'll try to point out the relevent areas.

Good luck.

Hi, for some reason the alt+Prt Screen wont work for my laptop, so no screenshot sorry. I have not been able to get any where to identify a way of changing the ranges.
    In the configuration menu, Advanced settings I have the following lists:

Network Configuration
    IP Static Routes Build IP static route table
    IP Static ARP Build IP static ARP table
    NAT
    Pinholes Set up pinholes through NAT
    IPMaps Set up NAT one-to-one IP address mappings
    Default Server Set up NAT default server options
    Services
    DNS Set up DNS options
    DHCP Server Set up DHCP server and relay-agent options
    SNMP Set up SNMP community, trap and system group options
    Ethernet Bridge Set up ethernet MAC bridge
    Miscellaneous
    System Configure System parameters
    Syslog Parameters Set up Syslog
    Internal Servers Configure internal web and telnet ports
    Software Hosting Set up Software Hosting
    Clear Options Restore the Gateway to its factory configuration

Where Should I look

Hmm, What's under the "Network Configuration" menu?

BTW, I've done this once before, on someone else's PC. So I have no way of accessing the screens. So this could take a while :)

• Advertisement

Sorry the Network Configuration window has two options:

1. IP Static Routes Build IP static route table
    2. IP Static ARP Build IP static ARP table

Not much help I know, I probably need to get someone out to have a look.

Advertisement