Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access over dsl

• 07-04-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I am running eircom Home Start dsl connection. Works a dream, all ok.

Netopia Combi Modem, using Ethernet.

Recently, however, I have been toying with the idea of having remote access to my home pc from my workplace.

I am able to set up remote admin on the modem, and log in to the interface using the dynamic IP address, that is ok too.

Am I a simple step away from allowing access to my files at home, from my pc in work?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Depends on the OS,

You could use the remote desktop connection to connect to your home machine and forward port 3389 to your home machine. Assuming it has been set up to accept Remote connections.

Or use something like VNC to connect, again forwarding the ports on your router (5800/5900) which will allow you to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

logmein.com will let you remote control your pc from a browser anywhere on the internet and does not need any firewall settings changed. The basic program is free but does not let you transfer files from the source pc, but you could just use some webspace or email the files to your work pc, thats what I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

seansouth wrote:
    I am running eircom Home Start dsl connection. Works a dream, all ok.

Netopia Combi Modem, using Ethernet.

Recently, however, I have been toying with the idea of having remote access to my home pc from my workplace.

I am able to set up remote admin on the modem, and log in to the interface using the dynamic IP address, that is ok too.

Am I a simple step away from allowing access to my files at home, from my pc in work?

Any help appreciated.
    http://www.gotomypc.com works rather well & is nice and secure.

needs a monthly sub, buh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

iis on windows xp pro does the same thing have you XP pro?

Advertisement