Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Adams

• 07-04-2005 1:48pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

for those who care, new album out the start of may with his new backing band the cardinals, its a double cd...

also rumoured to have 2 solo releases later in the year...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

That man is amazingly prolific, I only have 'Gold' and 'Love is hell'. There's some great stuff on both though.
    Favourite songs.
    La cienega just smiled
    I see monsters
    Harder now that it's over
    Hotel Chelsea nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

He is an absolutely prolific songwriter, I mean the guy literally breathes out great great songs..

There's a funny story of him stopping in the middle of a gig to write a song, and some guy in the crowd (after about 10 mins of Adams working on the song in front of a shocked audience) getting really aggressive and shouting stuff at him..!..

3 Albums in one year, and one of them being a double disc. That's pretty amazing stuff.

ps.if you check out his website www.ryan-adams.com his new single is playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

Yup.....

Cold Roses is out May 3rd, followed by a brief US tour.
    Then Jacksonville and 29 will be released later this year but with no definte dates. I dont think there is much hope of him doing a European tour till next year, and he doesnt really do festivals.

According to a conversation with Lost Highway on his official website, he wants to release another 3 albums this year on top of those already mentioned. I think it is a joke mind you, as there is an album called "Helicopter Soup" and the single called "Let's get meta-physical!" and it'll be released under the name Mechrobiotiocon.

One worries sometimes...

Other "releases" now available for "finding" on the internet are...

48 Hours
    The Suicide Handbooks
    Live is Hell
    Bedhead 1-8
    The Destroyer Sessions (the original version of Heartbreaker recorded with Gillian Welsh and David Rawlings)
    Live at the Amsterdamn Paradiso
    The Sweden sessions(or something like that)

If your into alt country or just ryan adams, then it could be worth your while checking out his breakthrough band Whiskeytown. Broke up after 3 albums but each one of them is an absolute gem and there is a wealth of bootleg material on the web too.

Another trivia fact....

The song "The Shadowlands" was written back stage at the waterfront hall belfast. I can verify it as i heard the piano part being played when i was back stage.

Hahahaha my trivia fact beats ure trivia fact! Nahnahnahnahna!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Been a big fan for years of the man.
    Had the great honour of meeting him when he last played the Olympia.
    Love all his Whiskeytown stuff too. (hence my username :))

Looking forward to all the new releases - about time Universal are allowing him to share his talent. (they blocked many releases before, and refused to treat Love is Hell Parts 1 & 2 as full album releases... bastids).

Here's a travia fact to knock ur socks of - Ryan Adams shares his birthday with..... Bryan Adams!!

It's true! Both on Nov 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

legend, wasn't so keen on the last album, but i loved all the other ones...anyone heard if anything has been leaked.....:/ that man has a voice that reaches in and grabs your heart-and says FEEL!!that and his lyrics are amazing...

I want to tell you something
    That I shoud've, long ago
    I wish that you and I had those kids
    Maybe bought us that home
    I wish that we were still in your room
    In your bed and you were holding me
    'Cause there ain't no way I'll ever stop from lovin' you now
    There ain't no way I'll ever stop from lovin' you now
    No, there ain't no way and I'm gonna try and show you somehow
    Somewho, someday

I dreamt that you and I were still young
    Laughing like little kids
    I'll neverknow just how bad it hurt
    Or what I did
    I wish that we were stumbling fast
    Down on Irving and 6th
    I wish we were still making plans
    But now, there's nothing to fix
    But there ain't no way I'll ever stop from lovin' you now

There ain't no way I'll ever stop from lovin' you now
    No, there ain't no way and I'm gonna try and show you somehow
    Somehow and oh, someday
    Someday...someday
    Ah honey, someday

aw...knees go weak...someone get me a tissue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

whiskeyman wrote:
    Been a big fan for years of the man.
    Had the great honour of meeting him when he last played the Olympia.
    Love all his Whiskeytown stuff too. (hence my username :))

Looking forward to all the new releases - about time Universal are allowing him to share his talent. (they blocked many releases before, and refused to treat Love is Hell Parts 1 & 2 as full album releases... bastids).

Here's a travia fact to knock ur socks of - Ryan Adams shares his birthday with..... Bryan Adams!!

It's true! Both on Nov 5th.

what was he like? i heard he can be a petulent kid. great music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i like the song "Come pick me up"...

quarryman wrote:
    what was he like? i heard he can be a petulent kid. great music though.

Yeah, he's well noted for being a petulent kid alright... guess he's just not into all the commercial spotlight of being famous.

Here's another cool trivia fact - When promoted the album Gold, he and the band were scheduled to play on ITVs CD:UK to play New York New York.
    When he found out he couldnt play live and had to mime, he was having none of it. He got one of the band members to put on a blonde wig and mime for him, while he stood in the background pretending to play bass.
    Legend!

I got lucky when I met him I guess - he and the band were in happy mood after the gig, and I just wanted to thank the man for sharing his wonderful talent. Those songs mean so much to me and got me through so many rough times.
    He was very appreciative of this, posed for a photo and signed my ticket and album cover. A treasured moment :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That man is amazingly prolific, I only have 'Gold' and 'Love is hell'. There's some great stuff on both though.
    Favourite songs.
    La cienega just smiled
    I see monsters
    Harder now that it's over
    Hotel Chelsea nights.

you really need to get heartbreaker and demolition

• Advertisement

I know, I know recommend me some songs plz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I know, I know recommend me some songs plz

You should check out his early stuff like 'Run to you' and 'Summer of 69'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ive been listening to him for a good while now... still cant think of any names of songs... but a lot of his covers are superb

I know, I know recommend me some songs plz :)
    so many songs for different moods.
    Here's a few that spring to mind (with albums their from)

Slow tempo:
    Shadowlands - from Love Is Hell
    La Cienga just smiled - From Gold
    Come Pick Me Up - From Heartbreaker (A must listen to!!)
    Dear Chicago - From Demolition
    Sweet Carolina - From Heartbreaker
    Please Don't Let Me Go - From Love Is Hell
    I See Monsters - From Love Is Hell

Up Tempo:
    To Be Young - Heartbreaker
    So Alive - Rock n Roll (anything from this album is up tempo rockin!)
    Startin' To Hurt - Demolition
    Nuclear - Demolition
    New York New York - Gold
    Firecracker - Gold

What can I say... just get the albums!

(And dont forget his Whiskeytown stuff too! They were often called the alt_country Nirvana!)

Rhyme wrote:
    Ive been listening to him for a good while now... still cant think of any names of songs... but a lot of his covers are superb

covers?

Only Wonderwall springs to mind.

Please dont say you liked his cover of The Corrs/Bono "Stars go blue"..... Ryan did the original! (I cant stand the Corrs for ruining this... and Bono?!?!? Nearly lost all faith in the man...)

Noel Gallagher loved the version so much, he actually re-recorded his own song in Ryans style.... it's gonna be a B-side to one of the tracks on the new album.

EDIT - actually, he did cover the Stones "Brown Sugar" with Beth Orton, and covers Hank Williams "Lovesick Blues" also.
    No covers, except wonderwall, on his released albums I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ah, i must have been thinking of someone else for the multiple covers, Wonderwall was the one... so good, and dare i say, i prefer his one to Oasis's original

He sings backing vocals on a few of Counting Crows recent tracks, and AFAIK singer from Counting Crows does some on his? i read somewhere they kinda share ideas on producing/songwriting/lyrics and that kind of stuff. They covered "Come pick me up" and some other RA song before..

Jammer wrote:
    He sings backing vocals on a few of Counting Crows recent tracks, and AFAIK singer from Counting Crows does some on his? i read somewhere they kinda share ideas on producing/songwriting/lyrics and that kind of stuff. They covered "Come pick me up" and some other RA song before..

yeah - Adam Duritz backs on "Answering Bell" on the album Gold - and is also in the video.

Ryan also did music collaberation with a former fling, Beth Orton.
    Check out her Daybreaker album - Ryan wrote and dueted with the beautiful "Concrete Sky", and wrote "This ones gonna bruise".
    Ryan has often played Beths "Sweetest Decline" song live too.

I kinda know my Ryan Adams stuff, huh.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Noel Gallagher loved the version so much, he actually re-recorded his own song in Ryans style.... it's gonna be a B-side to one of the tracks on the new album.

I heard that Ryan is doing an album of covers of Noel's covers of his covers, with Ryan singing like Noel, and Noel being Liam, and Liam being the guy from Counting Crows. I can't wait.

whiskeyman wrote:
    yeah - Adam Duritz backs on "Answering Bell" on the album Gold - and is also in the video.

Ryan also did music collaberation with a former fling, Beth Orton.
    Check out her Daybreaker album - Ryan wrote and dueted with the beautiful "Concrete Sky", and wrote "This ones gonna bruise".
    Ryan has often played Beths "Sweetest Decline" song live too.

I kinda know my Ryan Adams stuff, huh.... :p

have u heard the "Come Pick Me Up" cover that Duritz did? He did it at a gig called Shim Sham which is basically a smallish pub and they just drink the whole way through the set, they cover that song towards the end when he's fairly drunk. Still a cool version tho. Just him and his friend Dave Gibbs playing guitar.

I have a recording of Ryan Adams in the Olympia at home. Never listened to it though.

• Advertisement

Jammer wrote:
    have u heard the "Come Pick Me Up" cover that Duritz did? He did it at a gig called Shim Sham which is basically a smallish pub and they just drink the whole way through the set, they cover that song towards the end when he's fairly drunk. Still a cool version tho. Just him and his friend Dave Gibbs playing guitar.

I have a recording of Ryan Adams in the Olympia at home. Never listened to it though.

Not sure if I heard that one - sounds mad! :D
    Whiskey fuelled no doubt...

Ryan played the Olympia 3 times - twice acoustic in the Demolition tour, and once touring Rock N Roll.
    The second night is the best - if you have this record, listen to it! It's sheer brilliance.
    The first night was ok - but he sang a parody copy of Summer 69!

Jammer wrote:
    Just him and his friend Dave Gibbs

Dave Immergluck i think you'll find, i have alot of old counting crows used to listen to thel alot when i was a misguided teen, still have some great songs - round here.

i have alot of ryan adams stuff too, be interesting to hear his new album, the more i listen to rock n roll the more i like it, not as much substance as his other recordings but sometimes thats a good thing.

jacksonville skyline is my favourite song of his when he plays it solo, its a whiskeytown song.

and while i'm in such a talkative mood, i don't really likei too much whiskeytown stuff Pneumonia is deadly after that it sounds over produced or something can't put my finger on it exactly

whiskeyman wrote:
    so many songs for different moods.
    Here's a few that spring to mind (with albums their from)

Slow tempo:
    Shadowlands - from Love Is Hell
    La Cienga just smiled - From Gold
    Come Pick Me Up - From Heartbreaker (A must listen to!!)
    Dear Chicago - From Demolition
    Sweet Carolina - From Heartbreaker
    Please Don't Let Me Go - From Love Is Hell
    I See Monsters - From Love Is Hell

Up Tempo:
    To Be Young - Heartbreaker
    So Alive - Rock n Roll (anything from this album is up tempo rockin!)
    Startin' To Hurt - Demolition
    Nuclear - Demolition
    New York New York - Gold
    Firecracker - Gold

What can I say... just get the albums!

(And dont forget his Whiskeytown stuff too! They were often called the alt_country Nirvana!)

Cheers, as I said though I know and love 'Gold' and 'Love is hell'!!

pretty sure its dave gibbs when he did the come pick me up cover. dave gibbs did a few songs himself that night too...sounds like 2 guitars in some of the songs so immy could have been there too...

Round Here is class :)

lordgoat wrote:
    jacksonville skyline is my favourite song of his when he plays it solo, its a whiskeytown song.

Same here... such a beautiful song.
    I agree the rest of Pneumonia doesn't hit that same standard.
    It is highly polished bit of work, and not as "rough" as other works.

Have u guys listened to Jesse Malin at all? Same kinda sound to Ryan Adams... he supported Counting Crows in the olympia last year, really good live. Bought his CD's since, great albums.

Jammer wrote:
    Have u guys listened to Jesse Malin at all? Same kinda sound to Ryan Adams... he supported Counting Crows in the olympia last year, really good live. Bought his CD's since, great albums.
    yup - a big fan too.
    He supported Ryan during his second tour - He's played Ireland lots of times since.
    Seen him so many times - his live shows are rockin!

He's a very close friend of Ryans - Ryan produced his debut album "The Fine Art Of Self Destruction"
    Latest album, The Heat, is brilliant.

Sounds like you all might like to listen to Kathleen Edwards - plays Whelans tomrrow night. Very roots / rock. Irish Times have the gig as "miss this and you'll regret it.... deeply".
    Best albums/singer I've heard since first listening to Ryan.

I prefer alot of his unreleased stuff (i.e. 48 hours) to the released material but id say the albums that struck a chord with me the most were heartbreaker and love is hell.

As for covers, Ryan covers loads and loads of stuff live and always has, i have a very unusual one of him raving about the song and saying how you shuoldnt disrespect the artists, and then he starts playing it and its the Backstreet Boys. Other covers include Elton John and Madonna. (i have a big list somewhere ill post sometime). BTW his version of Tiny Dancer with Elton is very good if you can get ure hands on it. And he also covered the entire strokes album "is this it", which i have only heard one track off (it may or may not exist).

Jesse Malin is indeed also very good (and a really cool guy, me and my gf had a few beers with him in Belfast after his gig), but i wasnt a big fan of The Heat(i told him that, and he told be to "**** up" in a belfast accent). He and Ryan played together in a band called Dgeneration-X and also on The Finger "We are **** you"(Terrible terrible joke punk album).

As for Whiskeytown, Strangers Almanac is probably my favourite album, though i do have a softspot for Pneumonia despite its over polished production. Some of their demos ie Wild Duck and the F ucker Demos are also worth checking out.

If all this kinda stuff floats your boat there are many many more talents that are equally as good as if not better than Ryan and co, a brief list would be...

The Cowboy Junkies
    Devandra Banehart
    Wilco (personally one of my favourite bands)
    Tommy Van Zants (listen to Poncho&Lefty)
    Gillian Welsh
    and many many more!

Not to mention the classics Dylan, Young, John Sebastian, Country Joe, Emmy Lou etc etc

Longest post ever? Very probably.

Wilco are sex

• Advertisement
Advertisement