Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Ireland article on Broadband

Options
  • 07-04-2005 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Via the Slugger O'Toole site I found the online version of a Daily Ireland piece on broadband. IrelandOffline were quoted extensively though the journalists got some quotes wrong. The main bit that interests me is the DCMNR's reply to the facts with this:
    “There are a number of platforms for delivery of broadband services, including digital subscriber lines, cable, satellite, 3G, fibre, leased lines and wireless.
    “There are upwards of 140,000 broadband users in Ireland at present (the figure for July 2002 was 1,400), and the numbers are increasing by around 40 per cent per quarter.”

Anyone got to hand how much a 3G service would cost per month compared to a DSL or cable service ?

Anyone know how much fibre would cost to bring it to your door and to light it ?

Same goes for leased lines. What size leased line is going to give you an equivalent to the current 1mbps dsl package ?

If someone can supply figures I'd be grateful as we'll stick them into a briefing document and put it on our website as well as send it out to the press so that next time the DCMNR lists all these alternatives we can show they are only an alternative if you are on a Minister's salary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Well Vodafone are currently charging at least €69 per month before you download anything. After that the cost per Mb is between €2 and €0.60. Not ideal for your linux distros or trailer downloads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

As to the cost of data traffic on the mobile (I know it is not the comparison you were after):

Example O2:

O2 Ireland charge:
    data package: 10 Mb download allowance: €20/month; additional data cost € 2 per Mb (that is € 2,000 per gig!)

O2 Germany charge:
    data package: 10 Mb download allowance: €8.50/month; additional data cost € 1.5 per Mb

If you were to go anywhere near the volume of the smallest caps of dsl broadband, you'd reach astronomical sums.

It is daylight robbery, under the wide shut eyes of ComReg who are supposed to regulate for cost related pricing.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Vodafone GPRS / 3G charges for Mobile Connect for your laptop (and not Voice, Picture or sound for mobiles)

GPRS / 3G Pay monthly data charges

GPRS / 3G Data Plan Included Megabytes (MBs) per Month Plan Monthly Fee Charge per MB outside of Plan

Pay as you use
    (Default Plan) 0 €0 2c/KB up to 512 KBs
    and 0.5c/KB for any usage over 512KBs.
    Pay as you use
    (Data Only SIM) 0 €0 0-5MB=€2/MB
    6–20MB= €1.50/MB
    > 20MB=€1/MB
    3 MB 3 MB €9 €2.00 / MB
    6 MB 6 MB €14 €1.80 / MB
    20 MB 20 MB €25 €1.45 / MB
    60 MB 60 MB €55 €1.00 / MB
    100 MB 100 MB €70 €0.75 / MB
    250 MB 250 MB €150 €0.60 / MB
    500 MB 500 MB €199 €0.60 / MB

Note: There is a minimum charge of 10KB per GPRS/3G connection.

GPRS / 3G Bundle Price Plans

GPRS / 3G Data Plan Included Megabytes (MBs) per Month Plan Monthly Fee Charge per MB outside of Plan

100 MB* 100 MB €165 €1.65 / MB
    250 MB* 250 MB €250 € 1.20 / MB
    500 MB* 500 MB €325 €0.75 / MB
    1000 MB* 1000 MB €599 €0.60 / MB
    2500 MB* 2500 MB €1250 €0.60 / MB
    5000 MB* 5000 MB €1999 €0.50 / MB

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

damien.m wrote:
    Via the Slugger O'Toole site I found the online version of a Daily Ireland piece on broadband. IrelandOffline were quoted extensively though the journalists got some quotes wrong.
    Good article overall, though.

Nice to see you described as "a leading expert" ;)

Martin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Great article I'd say (only just got to read it), it's a pity the "mainstream" press don't have that quality of technology reporting.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement