Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in cork?

Options
  • 07-04-2005 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Any nice place in town that has nice food, steak, pasta. Had the place accross from the opera house but they double booked for saturday. Anyone know of a nice place?ASAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Strasbourg Goose is quite nice. Currans are also nice but their portions seem to have gotten smaller.. or maybe thats me and my increasing gluttony. the East Village bar in douglas does decent lunches/dinners... if that's what youre after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yeah East Village is a good bet - something to please everyone. Greene's on MacCurtain Street is worth a visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

try scoozi's.. it's down the side street beside maccie d's.. nice food and reasonable enough. could be a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Any nice place in town that has nice food, steak, pasta. Had the place accross from the opera house but they double booked for saturday. Anyone know of a nice place?ASAP

Rossini's on Princes St is a bit of a predictable venue but the food there IS good. If you want to push the boat out, you could try the Ivory Tower on the same street - real gourmet stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

we had our christmas dinner at currans, and I had steak which was well-cooked. It's a nice catch-all type of place, and I hear that they've a cocktail menu now as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

My vote is for eco's in Douglas - just don't eat for the 24hrs beforehand or you'll never finish what you get!!! :)
    very reasonable and consistantly good

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Gambini's on Carey's Lne is sweet for steak and pasta. One of my fav places to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Oh and Ruen Thai is fab on Patrick St. beside Boots.. it's a lovely restaurant nice setting and food is really nice. Definitely worth it if you like Thai food..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭CHUCKLEZ

the main places i would go Is either the Strasbourg Goose which is very resonable or scoozi's Same Very nice food in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Think we are going to try Il Padrinos on cook street heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

That place is quiet nice. Been there twice and they do a mean pasta or Pizza. Was dead impressed but very small - nice and cosy for you and your other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Nukem wrote:
    Gambini's on Carey's Lne is sweet for steak and pasta. One of my fav places to eat.

I agree. Has anyone tried Dinos in Blackpool? Passed it yesterday on my way home. Hmmm....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dinos? Like, Dinos the chipper?

(Il Padrinos is well worth a visit.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

rymus wrote:
    Currans are also nice but their portions seem to have gotten smaller.. or maybe thats me and my increasing gluttony.

No mate, their portions are definitely smaller than they were. Still a decent resteraunt though, only ever had one bad meal there, and I've eaten there a good few times over the past few years. Also very varied menu, so very very good for big groups with varied tastes.

I'd recommend other resteraunts, but everyone seems to have recommended my favourite ones already! Always a good sign! ;)

Oh, and for Indian Food, definitely try The Eastern Tandoori across from the Opera House, fantastic service and food, and their prices are reasonable :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

mmm - I was in the Strasbourg Goose yesterday and I was disappointed. Perhaps I am spoiled by the standards at Ecos but I found the main meal - delux chicken - to be poor. The meat was, to be fair, excellent but the salad and chips with it were poor quality. Also the starter not up to much. The staff however were brisk and helpful.
    2/5 rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

The Strasbourg Goose is nice so is Bullys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

dahamsta wrote:
    Dinos? Like, Dinos the chipper?
    adam

There is a drive through Dinos opposite Blackpool Shopping Centre next to the Shell Station on the mallow road. Pass it every day, havent gone in yet. I expect its just the same as all other Dinos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

hehe...here i go again on my food trip! gooddamn i loves food...
    Nash 19, or the organic sandwich place next to it are both savage...
    Isaacs and Greenes on McCurtain st
    Wylam near dennehys cross for chinese
    ginos for pizza and a death by chocolate
    clonakilty for the best food in the world(garodins/mick finns/de barras/betty bresnans/the courtyard)
    The best possible meal however HAS to be Man Friday in kinsale...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

nesf wrote:
    No mate, their portions are definitely smaller than they were.

Ahh thats good then. I was thinking it was just me wondering where the rest of my lunch went.

Dinos. Hmm.. If the quality is anything close to that of their Douglas place I'd stay well clear. Their burgers are the dryest, least tasty experience in fast food dining ever. Chips, cheese & garlic isn't bad when there are little other options but whatever you do, keep away from the burgers. I mean really, would they go bankrupt overnight for the sake of a few cents worth of mayo or ketchup?

pfff Dinos! I'd rather be in KC's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

My vote is for eco's in Douglas - just don't eat for the 24hrs beforehand or you'll never finish what you get!!! :)
    very reasonable and consistantly good

After much hype I went to Eco's and I was hugely disappointed. Shít service, bad menu, bad lighting, noisy atmosphere and I disliked having a fúcking guessing game with the waitress:

"Can I get this ?"
    "Let me check"
    ... 2 mins later.
    "Nope, not got that"
    "Can I have this drink"
    "No, not got that"
    "Ok, I'll have this"
    "Nope, not got that either."
    "What the fúck do you have ?"

Very Cheese Shop Sketch in Monty Python.

Another 2 things that annoy me and that they did. When I ordered a coke they came out with a can and plonked it down on the table with a glass. POUR IT INTO THE GLASS AND THEN SERVE IT TO ME
    The other was that they have laminated menus, putting them on the same level as a greasy spoon diner in my view.

Moving on to Curran's: Been twice. Not at all impressed. Someone mentioned in this forum about how they use the microwave a lot for their cooking. The microwave is the tool of a fastfood franchise, not a restaurant.

• Advertisement

rymus wrote:
    Dinos. Hmm.. If the quality is anything close to that of their Douglas place I'd stay well clear.
    Dinos in Douglas is nothing like, for example, Dinos in Bishopstown. How they can get the same food so different is beyond me.

EDIT: Been to Currans twice. First time I got a bad steak, which I was willing to forgive because you can get a bad steak anywhere. Second time the steak was fantastic and although the service was slow, this only bothered me becaue my friend complained about it so much. I'll go there again.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

solice wrote:
    There is a drive through Dinos opposite Blackpool Shopping Centre next to the Shell Station on the mallow road. Pass it every day, havent gone in yet. I expect its just the same as all other Dinos

Yup thats the one, but from all the comments so far about the place i think i'll stay away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Off to "Man Fridays" later this month. Whats good on the menu? Bare in mind i dont eat fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Last time i was at Man Fridays i had the lamb, i think, it was very good and service was excellent. Its a really nice restaurant.

stay the hell away from Dinos in Blackpool, I had a breast in a bun from there and I must admit I have eaten better tasting paper. Their chips are ok but not great. Better off going to your local chipper TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

Man Friday ideal menu-

Stuffed mushrooms for starters or the soup, either are savage.
    Fillet steak(just off the field, wipe the muck off its arse and slap it on the plate as rare as can be, thats what I say personally!)
    Have the peppercorn sauce on the side as the peppercorns are way too overpowering in my opinion. or the garlic butter sauce is equally good.
    Desert must be the selection of ice cream with a pot of chocolate sauce...I repeat ASK for the pot...warm...urrrrgh, im slobbering all over myself here...

YUM!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 stripes_333

Yeah i went to Ecos few weeks back and the food was average. really disappointed because it has a great reputation. i could have cooked it myself. But, when i was there the staff were really nice and good, efficient etc. no complaints about the staff like you but the food was substandard. Kafka's was more exciting.

as for the good spots: the Wilton Bar at night is fantastic. Amacus is ok but really cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I heard tell of there being a new Japanese Restaurant in Cork.
    Does anyone have any details about it? google turned up nothing :(

Wagamama, previously discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

dahamsta wrote:
    Wagamama, previously discussed here.

Oopsie!

thanks a million ;)

Advertisement