Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in cork?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

isn't everyone forgetting Hillbillys :D
    Best Chicken Fillet burger in the world...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I never understood the popularity of that place meself. John Grace's I get, Hillbilly's I don't.

adam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Isaacs on McCurtain st and the tapas place around the corner is nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Greene's and Isaac's are both good in my experience. Eco and Curran's have both gone downhill in recent times. Curran's is ok for a burger, but their pasta and chicken dishes are poor. The best food I've had in town within that price range is in Amicus. For pizzas, I like Luciano's on Grand Parade (the place with the old-skool upholstered dining booths). Gino's can be good but the last time I was there they were "out" of salad, they forgot one pizza from the order and there was no soap or hot water in the toilets, something you probably shouldn't think about too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

for a nice, big, and more importantly, cheap pizza, i always head into pizza d'italia on the grand parade, just down from the cineplex. gorgeous garlic bread with cheese too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Barry's in douglas.
    never disapoints me any way.

nice food and big portions

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Pizza d'Italia, that's what it's called! I think it's a long time since it was Luciano's. Pizza is still great though.

What's the name of the small place on the left-hand side of French Church Street, as you come from Pana? I went there on Tuesday with the old man, and I wasn't particularly impressed. Got a well-done steak, and although I'm used to well-done steaks being relatively dry, this one took things a tad too far. Service wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Won't be going there again.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Try the spicy hot pizza in Il padrinos, phwwwoooooar! They've got it *just* right.

Luigi Malones (opposite the opera house) do good stuff as well but I've noticed I'm never full after a main course there, especially the pizzas. Don't get me wrong, absolutely delicious but invariably room for desert afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Was in Captain America's yesterday for lunch. It was awful. The chips were under-cooked and the burger very much over-cooked. The overall temp of the food was warm as opposed to hot. It's a pity as any time I have been in the one on Grafton Street, it's been good.

• Advertisement

Bugger, I was looking forward to trying there. Anybody been in the Eddie Rockets in Mahon Point yet? As bad as the other ER's have (allegedly) gotten?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dondonjordan

Went to the noodle bar near Cork Arts Supplies a few weeks ago. The something star.
    Food is excelent, some of the best I've ever tasted. You get a lot for your money and you can get lots of rice if you want it.
    Prices are high but ok if your taking a loved one out. Atmosphere is great and they show weird chinese gameshows as you eat.
    service was good and fast but scary.
    When our meal arrived the waitress (who speaks very little english and just keeps shouting "Tank youuu!!!") just shot a spoon of rice on my plate as if it was slop.
    then tried to teach my girlfried how to use chopsticks....my girlfriend is vietnamese,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

dahamsta wrote:
    Bugger, I was looking forward to trying there. Anybody been in the Eddie Rockets in Mahon Point yet?
    I've been reliably informed that it isn't opened yet. Eddie's is getting bad? Crap, I lived in that place when I was in Dublin and was hoping it'd be the same down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

mick_irl wrote:
    Was in Captain America's yesterday for lunch. It was awful. The chips were under-cooked and the burger very much over-cooked. The overall temp of the food was warm as opposed to hot. It's a pity as any time I have been in the one on Grafton Street, it's been good.

Ah yes. I went there with the bf a few weeks ago. What god awful food. The starter of potato skins were awful awful awful. Chili and cheese topping and it was so plain and boring. I don't class a leaf of shítty lettuce and a few slices of cucumber as good presentation.

Got the half pounder New Yorker burger. Two quarter pounders in one bun with a friend egg, cheese and bacon.

The meat was dry and old and overcooked and warm. It fell apart as I ate it. The bun was almost soggy, it should have been crispy. The fried egg was old and dry and shriveled. It needed to have been recently cooked and slightly runny not something stuck under a light for a few hours. The bacon ? Crappy rashers. NY bacon is not rashers. It needed to be crispy and flavoured.

The side salad again was woeful. Cucumbers, crap tomatoes and some dying lettuce leaves is NOT a side salad. When the waiter asked me my opinion I said ther above. He nearly dropped dead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Seems like I'll be avoiding the place until I hear better things, and it's a pity cause I really like burgers

I was recently in lulus gastronomic experience for breakfast. What a raw deal. Something like E8 for a small fried breakfast (something was missing, sausages I think) and tea/coffee was extra. When the cashier asked me what I'd thought, I told her straight out that it was the owrst value meal I've ever had and who the hell doesn't give tea/coffee free with breakfast?

Passing by there recently, i noticed that the breakfast prices now include tea/coffee, but it's still way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

speaking of breakfast, tony's bistro on north main street is the job, and reasonably priced too.. and they serve it all day which is a bonus...

Was in there recently for breakfast and while the all-day is good enough value at E5, the other breakfasts get very expensive for just adding in a few bits.

Just had lunch at Wagamama!! MMMMM!! God, it's so good. Yaki soba, beautifully fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Under 25? Don't go to Ecos then.
    Three months or so ago I a table booked there for around 8. Myself and my girlfriend went up to the desk and said my name and they said table would be along in five mins. So anyway fifteen minutes later along come another couple who were around the ages of 27/28 and had no table reserved for a Saturday night at 8. Guess who were offered the table by the staff member who had been watching us for fifteen minutes? Yes thats right the couple were! Shock Horror two people under 21 were ignored!
    A short loudish scene with the host dude and we snagged the table that was rightfully ours. We didn't even get an apology when we told them politely that we were there longer and had booked.
    To top it all off my girlfriend had a very well done burger ("well" not being the most correct use of the word) that weighed about 23 grammes, probably was a quarter pounder before, just was cooked in the fiery pits of hell for fourteen fiery years.
    My chicken curry was good though.

My parents love the place but then again they are older than a fine vintage wine. They go there often and love the food. I just know I would never go there again due to terrible service and lack of care for its customers.
    My ever lovely darling brother and his ever lovely girlfriend also had an unpleasent experience with the service in there too.

D-Generate wrote:
    A short loudish scene with the host dude and we snagged the table that was rightfully ours.
    I would've walked out the door tbh. When you think about it, you're kind of paying them to dis you...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

My ever lovely darling brother and his ever lovely girlfriend also had an unpleasent experience with the service in there too.

I am said girlfriend and can assure all readers that it is as bad as he says it is. We were made wait an hour and a half for a table that we booked. It was around Christmas but still.
    They have issues with young people.
    I am, however, rapidly approaching the 23 mark so maybe I'll go back there soon!

• Advertisement

A short loudish scene with the host dude

well done. These days I'm rapidly losing patience with shoddy service. Must be the grumpiness of old age setting in.

I recently returned a grilled chicken salad in Table 8, because the chef was obviously into extreme grilling (burning the sh*t out of food) that day. The waitress looked at me and said "It's meant to be that way", ie chargrilled. So I made her taste it. That ended that.

BTW D-generate, is ur girlfriend my lovely cousin by any chance? I don't want to use names on boards, but initials MS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Oh that's a pity, Table8 I generally like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

dudara wrote:
    BTW D-generate, is ur girlfriend my lovely cousin by any chance? I don't want to use names on boards, but initials MS

Hehe she is indeed your lovely cousin or so I assume with those initials. Small world huh :)

Excellent!!! Welcome to the family.. mwa ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

damien.m wrote:
    Ah yes. I went there with the bf a few weeks ago. What god awful food. The starter of potato skins were awful awful awful. Chili and cheese topping and it was so plain and boring. I don't class a leaf of shítty lettuce and a few slices of cucumber as good presentation.

Got the half pounder New Yorker burger. Two quarter pounders in one bun with a friend egg, cheese and bacon.

The meat was dry and old and overcooked and warm. It fell apart as I ate it. The bun was almost soggy, it should have been crispy. The fried egg was old and dry and shriveled. It needed to have been recently cooked and slightly runny not something stuck under a light for a few hours. The bacon ? Crappy rashers. NY bacon is not rashers. It needed to be crispy and flavoured.

The side salad again was woeful. Cucumbers, crap tomatoes and some dying lettuce leaves is NOT a side salad. When the waiter asked me my opinion I said ther above. He nearly dropped dead. :)

Oh well, better cross it off the list of places to check out then :( Was in the one in Dublin last Summer and it was grand.

Did anyone hear anything about Maos opening near the new Clarion hotel?

As in Chairman Mao off Grafton Street in Dublin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Café Mao I would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

dudara wrote:
    As in Chairman Mao off Grafton Street in Dublin?

Think that's the one, I've only been to the one in Dun Laoghaire and really enjoyed it. Thught I heard somewhere they were open in Cork as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

went to man fridays, it was so good!

Had the scampi to start, the crab was really good as well, i didnt have the deep fried bree but it looked amazing and it didnt last long on the plate. For main course i had the duck and oh my god what a duck it was. it was delicious, im still salivating at the thought of it. The steak looked amazing and by all accounts it tasted amazing! im definitely having it the next time i go.

for desert i reccomend the creme brulee or the meringue.

they serve as many vegtables and chips as u want. I know some people may look down on a restaurant that serves "chips" but they will only be missing out on what is amazing.

The seeting is ideal, down by the sea overlooking kinsale surrounded by trees. the staff were friendly and welcoming, the service was fast and efficent. I will def be going back

• Advertisement
Advertisement