Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 Series stereo removal

Options
  • 07-04-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have boot changer but when it plays the left speaker come on and off due to an apparent loose connection. I've checked the boot connections and everythings fine so the obvious thing to do is check the back of the head unit.

Problem: I can't get the damn thing out!

Has anyoned any experience in removing these? I have taken off almost every other part of the dash to see how to remove it but I am probably not doing something extremely simple.

It looks like this (not my actual car though):
    linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

The link below should do the trick all you need is a small screwdriver, i had to take one out before and never would have guessed it but for this site, if this is not you model although it looks fairly identical to the image you posted there are loads of other models on the site. so good luck and be careful takig it out... :D

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalBmw530i1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

also depending on the model you may need a torx screwdriver to remove the backing but be careful not to ring them with a small allen key cos then your f*^ked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lol - good luck mate, I had a similar problem - it was nearly easier to throw the car away and start again !! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

The link below should do the trick all you need is a small screwdriver, i had to take one out before and never would have guessed it but for this site, if this is not you model although it looks fairly identical to the image you posted there are loads of other models on the site. so good luck and be careful takig it out... :D

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalBmw530i1.htm

Brilliant! Thanks for coming up with that Thumper. You gotta love the interweb. It has truly everything! I have torx so should be ok.
    Andip wrote:
    it was nearly easier to throw the car away and start again !!
    My sentiments exactly. Frustration was mounting to extreme!! There's a Saturday morning job for me now

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

James_M wrote:
    It looks like this (not my actual car though):
    linky
    i.e. "I have an E39!"

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    i.e. "I have an E39!"
    em yes but the trims do vary you know.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help Thumper. I got the stereo out over the weekend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

actually the trims don't really vary between pre and post facelift models. The radio type may alright be different (with/without cassette, with/without CD) but the process is identical for the E39 5 series.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

James_M wrote:
    I have boot changer but when it plays the left speaker come on and off due to an apparent loose connection. I've checked the boot connections and everythings fine so the obvious thing to do is check the back of the head unit.
    I've had the left speaker come on and off for a while, then the entire unit died beyond retrieval in a 01 530d Touring. Apparently, the "Business" unit has a habit of doing this. I have a new one ordered but until then it's the sound of silence for me.

Robbo wrote:
    I've had the left speaker come on and off for a while, then the entire unit died beyond retrieval in a 01 530d Touring. Apparently, the "Business" unit has a habit of doing this. I have a new one ordered but until then it's the sound of silence for me.
    Uh Oh. Since I carried out the operation mine has also died. It won't switch over to the changer at all. I noticed some of the cables to the stereo were taped so I'll have to open it up again to check if any came loose. Hopefully thats the case

Advertisement