Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bridging a netopia router

• 07-04-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to set these eircom netopia routers to simple bridging mode.

I want the public ip address on the red port of a firewall.

Looking at their docs it appears it only handles static ips

here and here

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi,

You will need to set it up in bridging mode via the telnet configuration, the options are unavailable via the web interface, it is explained in the downloadable user guide.

look for the setting to pass back the public IP to the internal address.

Then you will need to setup the firewall for PPPOE setting, a tracetr and you can get the machine name of the router in front of your gateway, and the log of your netopia / the eircom.net support site should give you the rest of the needed values.

Then it should work.

Why do you need to do this?

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I did it this way link

The only problem is not all of the options are available on the eircom supplied knobbled router. I assume it is the 3300 series 1 port/usb or 4 port one.

you can access the same values via the config file accessed via telnet, I'll post the answer when I get home.

Did you manage that via the web config on an eircom supplied router?

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

i did it on the 3341, supplied by eircom

as Kristok quite correctly stated you need to get the Modem into bridge mode.

Follow the link he gave and the instructions are there for the netopia 3341 or the 3346.

Once you have done that then you need to set the pubilc interface of the firewall to be within the same range as the bridge/router, e,g, if the router/bridge is 192.168.1.224 then set it as lets say 192.168.1.223 etc.
    to be able to configure/access your new bridge
    for smoothwall it is something like ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.223

Once then you need to set the PPPOE settings on your public interface within your firewall, and connect up, you should be fine after that.

Your Public IP should be the external interface, and pinging the IP address should work, also there should be no probs with Dynamic addesses, use www.dyndns.org, they are free, and they will map a dynamic address to something.dyndns.org, and smoothwall can use this natively.

I use Smoothwall from Smoothwall.org, it is linux, free, and very easy to use
    and runs on a Pentium Pro with 128 MB RAM so nobody is complaining :) .

If you are using smoothwall you can post back and I will forward links to set the public interface IP, configure PPPOE, and setup smoothwall to connect etc.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

• Advertisement
Advertisement