Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting C++ to Java

Options
  • 16-05-2001 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm interested in porting a small to mid-sized (it's ~30 classes) application from C++ to Java. I'm not very experienced with Java unfortunately, but thems the breaks... smile.gif

The codebase is pretty standard C++, lots of pointers and char arrays which I've to get rid of.

I found 2 sites which give some helpful information, #1 is DDJ - http://www.ddj.com/articles/1996/9603/9603f/9603f.htm , the 2nd is the Java Cookbook (?!) at http://www.meurrens.org/ip-Links/Java/joodcs/Basics.html ...

I have made a check list of what I need to do, but I'm looking at how much I can automate this process. My OS is 2K, I don't have cygwin available at the moment (and I'd prefer to save the hassle of installing it if avoidable).

Does anyone know of tools available to help automate this port? Have you any suggestions to keep in mind?

Thanks,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

For portability - if a codebase is converted to Java it would run on almost all OS's.

Someone suggested Rational Rose, anyone have an opinion?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Just out of curiousity, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I've only used Rational Rose a few times to do UML diagrams, but I don't think it could do that, and if it could, it probably wouldn't do it all that well. I reckon your best shot is just do it by hand. It shouldn't be all that hard if the code is well object-oriented, and since java works solely with pointers that should make it even easier.
    If you've any sort of GUI though that'll probably have to be recoded from scratch. And hey, we're always here if you get stuck.

Advertisement