Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Secure Remote Access

• 07-04-2005 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

All,

Im looking for some secure remote access software so I can access a server / pc from any location over the net, and take control of it with full viewing.

Bottom line here is security obviously because this will be left all the time I dont want another gaping hole in the system.

Primary focus would be for manually updating / fixing PC's across the net so I would also need to be able to restart the PC and log back in after aswell.

Is anyone in a similar situation if so, what do you find works best ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

LogMeIn is free and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Does LogMeIn require a VPN connection? If not, how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Install openssh and port forward 3389 to localhost 3389 and run rdesktop. Would require some kind of firewall in front of the machine obviously.

LogMeIn doesn't require a VPN. It uses OpenSSL to create a secure path via LogMeIn's own server. Read the FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Right, so you're trusting it to a 3rd party. Not exactly secure.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on the sensitivity of your requirements but you can see the kind of companies who use their services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks for the reply's all.

fatherdougalmag: LogMeIn looks interesting enough as a free product but as penexpers said I wouldn't feel that secure with another 3rd party having access to my PC's.

penexpers: All the machines are Windows based with zonealarm FW's on home dsl connections. So would PuTTY be my best option here ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Remote Admin is good
    - 128bit Encyrption by default
    - Without or without password protection
    - Can specifiy it to connect over ANY port you want be it port 80 or 22 or 6667 ;)

I've used it on and off the past two months or so
    You can download the trail version from the their website.
    Its a 30 day trail and it includes the server software and the client.

The client can be run on its own withoutn installing if you just copy the exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

VNC with SSL port forwarding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Apparently this is what the FBI use

http://www.netop.com/

(or so the reseller that was trying to sell it to me claimed. I think
    they included in some email a document from the FBI that certified
    this, but I'm too lazy to go searching)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stky10 wrote:
    Apparently this is what the FBI use

http://www.netop.com/

(or so the reseller that was trying to sell it to me claimed. I think
    they included in some email a document from the FBI that certified
    this, but I'm too lazy to go searching)
    there was crowd that used to advertise thier encryption software as being bought by GCHQ , but then as was pointed out GCHQ / NSA could be expected to buy at least one copy of every encryption progam out there, doesn't mean they use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

there was crowd that used to advertise thier encryption software as being bought by GCHQ , but then as was pointed out GCHQ / NSA could be expected to buy at least one copy of every encryption progam out there, doesn't mean they use it.

I went back and checked old emails and found it. I'd cut and paste
    the content, only its a PDF and its protected. Here it is though

http://www.richmondsys.co.uk/richmondsystems/products/netop/remotecontrol/casestudies/fbi.pdf

I've used it, and its pretty good....better than PCAnywhere. Bit
    expensive though...

Advertisement