Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

configuring php to send mail on windows

Options
  • 07-04-2005 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

im using the mail() function. ive used this before and know if i uoload this to my hosting account it will work.

however im doing a project for college and need to be able to send mail from my own server.

im getting the following error..

Warning: mail(): Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini

can anyone point me in the right direction,

should also point out im using windows xp pro, iis and php4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

find your php.ini file and make the following changes

[mail function]
    ; For Win32 only.

and change your SMTP from "localhost" to your mail server, i.e. mail.college.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

thanks Ph3n0m,

but is there anyway i can set up my own mail server?

im guessing i cant use the college mail sever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It possible that you will be able to use the college mail server since the stuff you will have outgoing mail. One way to find out - try it.

Having said that, they might have closed access to avoid the server being used as a spam relay, but, if you are on the internal college network, such restrictions may not apply to you.

well im actually working from a lab where we log in as admins so it might work. ill give it a go tomorrow, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

try using your ISP's server, smtp.iol.ie, mail2.eircom.net etc. they should work I think

• Advertisement

right ive been asking around and it turns out i should be able to use the college server with a small bit of persuasion!

thanks for your help

Advertisement