Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any issues with IBB Breeze Access please post here. Help is always at hand

• 07-04-2005 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

If you have any issues with IBB breeze access products please post them here and Ill try to resolve them for you. This is something I am doing in my spare time so be patient and I will try to be some help. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

I've been frequently critical of IBB in the past so fair play to you for volunteering to take the brunt of the criticism here. Good luck!

Here's my first (not strictly Breeze) contribution....
    When I email support, I get an automated ticket reply no.1. If I have further info which I email to support, I get another automated ticket no.2, 3, 4 etc for ticket no.1.

In other words, if I have a problem that involves several emails, I'm raising many ticket numbers. Could IBB not design some email filter to recognise 'ticket no.1' in the subject line and allocate it to whoever dealt with it in the first place. It would also give IBB more accurate stats on their customer support efficency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

Mnnn fair point ill pass it on to the support manager tommorow and post a reply when I get an answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

My first question before I say anything else:

Is this breeze access thing the same as what was originally breeze home plus?

Or is that a different thing alltogether?

btw thanks for stopping by :) good to see some support for boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Hi The Wise man

I appreciate your effort, IBB would love this.
    Last week i failed the LOS test because my signal from the AU was to low about
    18dB to 19dB it should average at about 21dB to 22dB I was told by the engineer.
    Can you tell me what average signal do you get from the AU (access unit on the Base Station)

If you can't find it i can show you how?
    Thanks

gsand wrote:
    My first question before I say anything else:

Is this breeze access thing the same as what was originally breeze home plus?

Or is that a different thing alltogether?

btw thanks for stopping by :) good to see some support for boards.

Bit of a question for sales people but I think the answer is yes Im out of the office for a couple of days so Ill post an answer thursday

• Advertisement

Hi Puma

It really depends on how far you are away from the tower and if there is anything blocking path of the signal. if you are very close IE less than a km you might see levels of 35 SNR and this will reduce the futher you are from the tower. Sorry to hear you didnt pass the signal test. It sounds like you are on the threashold, If you PM me your name only I will have a look at the results on Wednesday and see if we can do anything for you. There might be a new highsite coming live near you shortly. We have several new highsites coming on over the next few weeks..

Thanks very much for that "The Wise Man" I will PM you the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi Wise Man,

Firstly, thank you for starting this thread.

I have a latency problem since Wednesday 23rd March. My connection was brilliant before this date. Basically, ping is great but every 5 or 10 or 15 seconds (it depends) I get spikes (usually around 200-300ms) that can last between 1 and 3 seconds.

This has been escalated to IBB. Ticket Number 36115.

I never hear anything from IBB Customer Support. I know the issue has been escalated to NetOps but I don't know anything other than that. I've spent nearly €40 EUR calling IBB since this issue arose. It's so frustrating... I'm losing faith :(

And this morning, I'm not even getting 56k speeds with my 2Mbit connection:

Downstream 41 Kbps (5.1 KB/sec) 44 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 15 Kbps (1.9 KB/sec) 16 Kbps (inc. overheads)

So now I'm going to go back to bed and cry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Hi Wise Man, I'm trying to use VoIP but for over a week it's been unuseable due to poor upload speeds. generally less that 14.4k modem speeds. case no is #38888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Havn;t contacted ye yet about this, cos i amn't 100% sure whats causing the problem, but here it is anyway...

I recently had my equipment changed, and i know have a little black rectangular box thingy beside my computer. It has three lights on it. Only 2 of them are ever on, 1) The power light, and 2) The ethernet light (for lan connection).

The thing is, every now and again, the ethernet light turns off, and i can't connect to the internet. Plugging in and out the ethernet cable has no affect. I end up having to plug out the ethernet cable and the power to the box, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait 30 seconds before i plug back in the ethernet cable.

If i plug in the ethernet cable to soon, the ethernet light doesn't turn on (at least not for 5 minutes, i gave up waiting :p). So i end up having to repeat.

Is this a dodgy box? Or a dodgy cable? Or is the IBB box interacting badly with my Linksys WRT54g router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Why the change of equipment Mutant ??

...... is all i will say about my connection nearly 8 weeks (maybe more) now and still the same :(

The original stuff broke :p It stopped working so they replaced it. The left the antenne thing alone (afaik, i wasn't here at the time). But they definately replaced the box. My old IBB box was a bigger whitish rectangular box. About twice as big.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Right..that black box you have is the same as mine,same thing for me as well only 2 lights on, i think thats normal.

If you are looking for detailed info on the Breeze Equipment here is a link for the Manuals from the Alvarion website.
    http://www.alvarion-usa.com/RunTime/Support_10010.asp?tNodeParam=113

If you go to the "BreezeACCESS VL System Manual v. 1.2" 4th one down and on Page 53 there is information about the LED's on the Indoor box that provides power and connection to the Transmitter.

Hi Wise Man,

Firstly, thank you for starting this thread.

I have a latency problem since Wednesday 23rd March. My connection was brilliant before this date. Basically, ping is great but every 5 or 10 or 15 seconds (it depends) I get spikes (usually around 200-300ms) that can last between 1 and 3 seconds.

This has been escalated to IBB. Ticket Number 36115.

I never hear anything from IBB Customer Support. I know the issue has been escalated to NetOps but I don't know anything other than that. I've spent nearly €40 EUR calling IBB since this issue arose. It's so frustrating... I'm losing faith :(

a

And this morning, I'm not even getting 56k speeds with my 2Mbit connection:

Downstream 41 Kbps (5.1 KB/sec) 44 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 15 Kbps (1.9 KB/sec) 16 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    So now I'm going to go back to bed and cry...

As far as the ping speeds are concerned no ISP provider will guarantee pings to many thing that are beyond their control saying that if your downloads are that bad I first of all will take a look from this side and if I cannot fix it might need to send some guys to hane a look at the kit and see what we can do. Can you PM me your full name

Hi Wise Man, I'm trying to use VoIP but for over a week it's been unuseable due to poor upload speeds. generally less that 14.4k modem speeds. case no is #38888

Leave it with me ill post an answer for you on Thursday.

Havn;t contacted ye yet about this, cos i amn't 100% sure whats causing the problem, but here it is anyway...

I recently had my equipment changed, and i know have a little black rectangular box thingy beside my computer. It has three lights on it. Only 2 of them are ever on, 1) The power light, and 2) The ethernet light (for lan connection).

The thing is, every now and again, the ethernet light turns off, and i can't connect to the internet. Plugging in and out the ethernet cable has no affect. I end up having to plug out the ethernet cable and the power to the box, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait 30 seconds before i plug back in the ethernet cable.

If i plug in the ethernet cable to soon, the ethernet light doesn't turn on (at least not for 5 minutes, i gave up waiting :p). So i end up having to repeat.

Is this a dodgy box? Or a dodgy cable? Or is the IBB box interacting badly with my Linksys WRT54g router?

Well lets eliminate the cable first can you PM me your name and I will post you a new crossover cable. Did you have this problem with your old router???

I;ve already changed cable. I've tried both crossover and 2 straight through, and despite the manual saying crossover wouldn't work, it did, but same problems are evident.

If it was a cable problem, it could be the cable coming from the roof to the compuer, but i cant change/test that myself.

i didn' have this problem with my old router. The only trick behind the old one was that if i wanted to plug my laptop in to the internet, i had to plug out the old box so it would reset and lock onto my laptops MAC address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

[QUOTE=Is this a dodgy box? Or a dodgy cable? Or is the IBB box interacting badly with my Linksys WRT54g router?[/QUOTE]

This is the same setup i have with IBB and the same router. It all works fine.
    Maybe your router is dodgy, have you a second one to test it out?

Also connect your IBB Black box to your Networkcard at the backof your PC and enter the IP settings the IBB gave you on your network card and see if that works, at least that would rule out the IBB equipment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The reason the cross-over works is because the Linksys auto-detects the cable and works with either straight or cross-over. I used to have a WRT54G connected to my IBB PoE adapter and it worked fine, so that's not the problem.

What was the original problem you had, that caused IBB to replace the PoE adapter? I would suspect that the problem isn't in the PoE adapter, it's fairly braindead.

I seem to recall the installation guy going on about some procedure where the unit had to be powered down when connecting to my router because otherwise it wouldn't recognise the MAC address. I've had any problems where I've had to do that, it has always just worked.

• Advertisement

The original problem was that some part of the equipment stopped working. When i rang in, they couldn't access the radio even when i plugged hte PoE box in and out. I wasn't here when they fixed it, so i don't know what they did exactly. All i know for sure is that the PoE box was replaced witha new smaller black one.

I'll try plugging the connection straight into my computer. But thats a pain in the ass, cos i then can't share my net :( But i'll let ye know how that goes.

As far as the ping speeds are concerned no ISP provider will guarantee pings to many thing that are beyond their control saying that if your downloads are that bad I first of all will take a look from this side and if I cannot fix it might need to send some guys to hane a look at the kit and see what we can do. Can you PM me your full name
    I know you cannot guarantee ping speeds but they were perfect prior to Wednesday 23rd March. So if all of a sudden latency becomes poor I'm obvioulsy going to ask for the issue to be resolved. And hopefully you'll be able to fix it!

PM sent with full name as requested! ;)

Thanks a million Wise Man! I hope you will be the answer to my connection problems! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Are 62.231.52.134 and 62.231.52.157 in your path? When pings are bad, like they are now, that's usually where the problem is. I think OldTitan mentioned that there might be a problem with a router there.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Are 62.231.52.134 and 62.231.52.157 in your path? When pings are bad, like they are now, that's usually where the problem is. I think OldTitan mentioned that there might be a problem with a router there.
    How did you know?!?!? :eek:

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.144.58]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 73 ms 19 ms 4 ms guinness-vl-vlan-1.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.34.209]
    2 3 ms 4 ms 2 ms 62.231.52.153
    3 14 ms 12 ms 21 ms 62.231.52.157
    4 4 ms 5 ms 12 ms suez.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.1]
    5 5 ms 21 ms 5 ms 82.195.128.4
    6 9 ms 16 ms 11 ms pie.boards.ie [82.195.144.58]

Trace complete.

Could this be my problem? What do you think OldTitan? Is it possible to bypass 62.231.52.157 somehow?

Hi Cormac sorry for the delay in answering your query. Im back in the office on Thursday.Ive had a look at your graphs and your right seem like your connection is running very slow. Ill try and arrange that somebody calls out Wed or Thurs and try to rectify this.

regards

Trace complete.

Steffano I have passed on this to Old Titan he is a bit more of network person than I. If then we still have no answer I will arrange a callout ASAP.

Thanks a million Wise Man!!! Enormously appreciated!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Trace complete.

Steffano I have passed on this to Old Titan he is a bit more of network person than I. If then we still have no answer I will arrange a callout ASAP.

Steffano,

That point is a router in our data center where we peer with our IP transit providers. It was partially upgraded on Friday last, then on Saturday the works were completed. Some final touches were made yesterday. In general you shoudl not see much more than 2ms increases in latency between hops, except when it hits the data center and then goes out. As this is our core router conecting to the internet, it aggregates all traffic, so latency will jump betwen 5 to 20ms depending on how busy things are. We recently increased the memory on that router, so it can easily deal with all the traffic. The jump to 14/15ms at that point will be traffic related. I am running a trace past that point at present, and its running at 4 to 5ms. Bear in mind that each STM1 port on that router is running on high loads most of the time as we carry a lot of traffic and we have 4 different IP Transit providers for resillience and improved routing, so we load balance across them as well.

Cheers

OT

Thank you for the update OldTitan! ;) That's another possibility cleared.

By the way, I sent an e-mail yesterday evening with 2 ping tests and a connection test (download/upload). My connection wasn't the best yesterday evening... When I get home this evening I will carry out a few tests and e-mail the results as I did yesterday. Hopefully things will have improved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

I can't believe I'm doing this but fair's fair.

I've been critical of IBB in the past (I'm on the Ballymun mast) but my business Breeze connection has been stable & reliable for the past week. Keep up the good work.

Another week of this and it'll become a love-in!

Do WiseMan or OldTitan have any involvement in the WiMax trails? Any gossip on a roll-out in Dublin. It's meant to offer superior speeds, isn't it?

Advertisement