Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws about Loud music?

Options
  • 07-04-2005 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

HI
    I just wanna know is there any law as such against playing loud music, im only asking because i have a semi home cinema and entertainment room and at about 5pm yesterday i was playing some cd's through the DVD player to my floor standing speakers then the neighbour (which lives in a flat BTW) bangs on the wall and says hes calling the guards and if i dont quit the music now he will kill me.
    Now i laughed at him and said nothing back because i say to myself i live in a private house and he lives in a bedsit of a flat what can he do.
    And anyway i know the landlord well.

But is there any law about playing music a certain level.
    I know that you cant take the piss by playing it at all hours in to the morning and upseting people.
    But today at about lunchtime he followed me down the lane to my garage and then threathened me that he will burn my garage down if he hears any more music from me at all (now he was serious, his face was getting redder and redder)

I am seriously thinking of going to the cops about his behavour towards me, but firstly i wanna know does he have a foot to stand on, by saying the music was too loud.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The rule is that once it's regular hours they can't do anything. I think after 10pm they are well within their rights to call the cops. However, and I don't know if it's the same in Ireland, in the UK if someone complains, by law a person from the environmental agency is supposed to come out. I'm not sure about the decibel level. Have a look here.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1074441570

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Of course you could always try behaving like a vaguely civilised human being and not using your ludicrously overpowered hi-fi system to cause nuisance and distress to those unlucky enough to live next door to you. Try using headphones, or turning the music down. Show a bit of consideration rather than assuming that if not's 'against the law' that there's nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

magpie wrote:
    Of course you could always try behaving like a vaguely civilised human being and not using your ludicrously overpowered hi-fi system to cause nuisance and distress to those unlucky enough to live next door to you. Try using headphones, or turning the music down. Show a bit of consideration rather than assuming that if not's 'against the law' that there's nothing wrong with it.

Well you see the thing that bugs me is that i only maybe play it once or twice a week and its no louder than say someone shouting or a hoover, i think its more the bass that bugs the neighbour.

I have respect for neighbours like i never play my hifi no louder than a tv at night and i dont play it in the morning just incase there in bed.

I dont play music all day because im mostly out at work its only when i have some spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I always thought it was ok if it was before 7. Wouldn't be sure about that at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I know what you mean, try turning the woofer down on your home cinema kit, or do you like the loud thump it gives to your music? Just a suggestion cause i know its only the thump of the woofer my nieghbour hears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The guards can't actually do anything to you as it's a civil matter. Our laws in this area seem to be pretty rubbish, compared to the UK.

But the best/worst your neighbour could do is take you to the District Court over it.

for all the details have a look here
    Noise such as that coming from other homes, workshops or local businesses that is continuous, repeated, loud and occurring at such times and of such duration that it affects the quality of life of the person is covered in Irish law.
    But if it's happening at around 5pm, and only occasionally... I really don't think he has a case.

But if it's happening at around 5pm, and only occasionally... I really don't think he has a case.

Yea i know what ya mean.
    Any the sub woffer is swiched of because the music does be preset at 2.0 on the a/v receiver, its the front 2 floor standers that emit the music, unless he is hearing bass boom from the speakers being near to the wall.
    I must invest in some sort of sound proofing or re-doing the walls with foam backed plasterboard, i would of thought 1 ft of redbrick wall would of deadened the sound.
    Anyway he doesent complain about the football when it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mabye you should change your music tastes to something he might prefer :D

Make sure your speakers are properly isolated, use speakers stands and make sure they're not in direct contact with any walls or floors.

I had to assist my neighbours in isolating their speakers after enduring the bass from their scoby techno/house all day every day. Of course they had their speakers wedged into bookshelves up against my walls. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Nothing better than playing music loud :D
    Dont know about laws or anything but i would get the garda take not of him threatening you incase he does actualy burn down your shed.
    Also maybe ask them what the story is with playing music loud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Sparky_S wrote:
    HI
    I just wanna know is there any law as such against playing loud music,

Oh yes there is, very good laws, laws which could see you paying out substancial damages to those affected.

i live in a private house and he lives in a bedsit of a flat what can he do.

non of which affects his rights.

But is there any law about playing music a certain level.

yes, there should be no noise "breakout" from your premises, full stop.

I am seriously thinking of going to the cops about his behaviour towards me, but firstly i wanna know does he have a foot to stand on, by saying the music was too loud.
    if he can hear the music in his home it's to loud.
    He has no right to threaten you, however I have yet to see a Judge rule in favour of the noise maker, read the papers, people have been fined & even jailed for repeated noise nuisance, the time of day makes little difference although in cases where the noise was after 23:00 the person making the noise is deemed to be causing more suffering.

Lensman thanks for the info.

And as i posted earlier i only usually play music at that certain level maybe twice in a week, but i still have to put up with his disturbances from shouting at his girlfriend or wife i dont know and him reving his so called moded car at all hours, he is even doing it on purpose now since he had that row with me in the lane.

And im positive he takes drugs. Hard drugs.

Other neighbours in the park have been threathened from approaching him because of his actions, and i only found this out from mentioning my run in with him to an other neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

these noise things can escalate so be careful,
    if he is a headcase you don't know what he might do
    so be honest with yourself !!!... do you play it loud sometimes ?
    Rgds :(:(

Honestly speaking if i went out side to the street you wouldnt hear it or if i went out side to my garage you wouldnt hear it. I asked my neighbour over on the other side of me and he said he couldnt hear anything at the time i was playing it.

Im not even certain if the person in the flat is putting his ear to the wall, just to start a row.
    An hour ago i asked the tennent downstairs because i knew he is out and she said she could only lightly hear it no louder than a car passing by.

Id even love to put the music up to the same volume and test it in his flat to see how loud it is.

The woman downstairs in the bottom flat thinks the man is on drugs too because she reported him to the landlord because he urinated on her door just because she was using the washing machine when he wanted to.
    And the landlord who i know wont do anything because he says hes assured ent payment because the social department pays for it.

Im only discovering how much of a scumbag this person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup, if you call the Gardai, they can only ask you to turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yup, if you call the Gardai, they can only ask you to turn it down.

Very true. I was playing with my band one day and the Gardai knocked to the door. Someone had complained. They were cool about it and just asked us to keep it down.

We asked them about the specifics of it and they said they can't really do anything about it unless it is past 9pm or 10pm (cant remember which). But we turned down anyway out of courtesy for the neighbours. We didnt realise it was so loud.

What annoyed me though was the fact that whoever rang the police didnt even have the decency to knock around and just ask first. That would have been enough instead of being jerks and calling the police.

I live in a detached house. The music wasnt that loud and there are 2 other bands on my road that constantly are practicing at louder volumes than what we were playing yet when I asked them they said they never had any problems

I wouldnt take any crap off the neighour though threatening you. If you get any more hassle tell him to watch himself or you will contact the guards. If he still threatens you or your house then call the police and give him a little scare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sparky_S wrote:
    says hes calling the guards and if i dont quit the music now he will kill me.

But today at about lunchtime he followed me down the lane to my garage and then threathened me that he will burn my garage down if he hears any more music from me at all (now he was serious, his face was getting redder and redder)

I am seriously thinking of going to the cops about his behavour towards me, but firstly i wanna know does he have a foot to stand on, by saying the music was too loud.

He has threatened your life and said he is gonna burn down your garage, He has broken the law, and can be charged with malice intent. I would report him asap to the cops, try and get it on a tape and he's screwed, then you just hope your new neighbour isnt a prick like him..........

What annoyed me though was the fact that whoever rang the police didnt even have the decency to knock around and just ask first. That would have been enough instead of being jerks and calling the police.

Calling the cops is anonymouse, they can't say who called them out. If they come on knock on your door then they are forever 'the jerks that are down on our music duuuuude, they're like totally in league with the man'. TBH calling the cops and getting them to get you to stfu is much easier, no?

Its a crazy thought, but maybe some people actually like quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I recall a party I was at years ago. They had a DJ in one of the rooms with a full PA (this was a cottage in Portobello Dublin!). A neighbour got uppity and had knocked twice on the door to complain. Then the Gardai arrived and asked for the noise level to be reduced and departed.

Muggins here arrived late to the party and was quaffing a spring water when Mr. Neighbour knocked again. I answer door and extremely irate man tries to throttle me. he completely flipped.

There is one thing that really gets neighbours 'going' and that's noise especially in the cardboard houses they erect these days. Best just to down the volume a couple of notches especially if its only twice a week as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

i reckon u tell the shades about his threat, when youve made a statement get some1 2 smash a bottle in front of ur garage,put a small bit of petrol and a rag on the ground and light it up.just enough to blacken the wall and there you have him.if he is a scummer den he more than likely has prior's.itll be good for 6 to 8 months worth of a laugh.then when hes inside torch his place.
    these are not instructions and are intended for entertainment purposes only.any attempt to carry them out are at the individuals risk & liability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

you are quite evil Aid.

but seriously, during the day, he can't do squat, it is your house and you can do moreless whatever you want.
    He is trying to intimidate you, that's all, maybe you shoul dreply to him that if he carries on with the threats, you will go to the guards and report him,

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

At the end of the day, no matter what time it is, if it is affecting other people, it is considered Disturbing the Peace. Mind you, your neighbour should have taken official channels and should not have threatened you, so you can have him on that basis.

If i were in your position, i would make a statement with the Gardai. Tell them you feel he is a genuine threat. Then explain that you didn't think your music was at an unreasonable level for that time of day, and that you will endeavour to keep it at a lower level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well he can do something ... have a read of this!

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2005/0423/122348820HM1NOISYHOUSE.html

Jail for this guy if he turns on his telly after 10pm!

Advertisement