Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having router/modem problems since the speed upgrade...?

• 07-04-2005 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

OK, like all of you ADSL users on here I'm over the moon with the 4X speed change.
    Only problem is my Netgear dg834g; it's been randomly rebooting (at short intervals) since the 4th, apparently only when I'm using the connection. There's a huge thread on netgear's support forums about a problem with the latest firmware and some posters have claimed that problems cooincide with a change from 512k to a faster speed.

Now I know this is a router-specific issue, but would be interested to know if anyone else on here has been having any similar trouble.
    One poster claimed that the increased attenuation of the faster signal is crashing the router; anyone know where I can find out what Db level I'm getting on the downstream?
    Any other thoughts?
    As usual thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

One problem i keep getting is my linksys wireless router keeps disconnecting from esat at around 9-10pm every night and takes a reboot to get it connected again.
    Also pings on esat for me have got larger.
    96ms to boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I have that exact router - a Netgear DG834G v2. What I suggest you do is upgrade the firmware to the latest beta version. I have been using recent betas from Netgear and they are very stable. My router stays up for weeks.

You can download the updated firmware from here...

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

DG834(G)_V2.10.16.zip being the latest version (at this time).

If you are unsure about upgrading your firmware, try the Netgear DG834G support page for more details...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

- Neil

Hi,

Sparky_S - What model of Linksys router do you have? Also, what firmware version?

The disconnection/reconnection issue (every 24 hours for me) is something I've had trouble with as well.

- Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

I have that exact router - a Netgear DG834G v2. What I suggest you do is upgrade the firmware to the latest beta version. I have been using recent betas from Netgear and they are very stable. My router stays up for weeks.

You can download the updated firmware from here...

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

DG834(G)_V2.10.16.zip being the latest version (at this time).

If you are unsure about upgrading your firmware, try the Netgear DG834G support page for more details...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

- Neil

Big thanks for that man...been browsing a 22 page thread regarding this on netgear's own forums. I'm going to try every thing else before I flash the router, basically because it was working perfectly for the last 7-8 weeks right up until the speed change.
    I've read about standing waves interefering with the wireless signal, overheating issues (not that anyway) and firmware problems.
    If I can figure this Db level thing and see if that helps matters I'd be happy.

On Sparky_S's problem....didn't esat used to auto-disconnect after 24 hours by default? Maybe they still do; not been online enough to notice lately...

Finally found my Db levels, but as I have nothing to compare them to, prior to the speed change it really is little good to me;
    ADSL Link 	Downstream 	Upstream
    Connection Speed 	2048 kbps 	128 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	49 db 	31.5 db
    Noise Margin 	8 db 	24 db

Anyone help me out on this? I assume the Db level is set by the ISP or my duistnace from the exchange?

The rebooting is far too periodic for it to be much else....it seems to happen every 10-15 minutes (not timed it yet) and seemingly only when I'm using the connection. Particularly annoying on laptop...

• Advertisement

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Sparky_S - What model of Linksys router do you have? Also, what firmware version?

The disconnection/reconnection issue (every 24 hours for me) is something I've had trouble with as well.

- Neil

Its a WAG54G Wireless ADSL gateway.

Its acting up now, it wont let me into the setup pages the ip address i enter just keeps going to the MSN cant find site page!

EDIT: OK got it working again the firmware is Firmware Version: 1.01.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

SNR of less than 10dB will make your line unstable and susceptible to loss of sync.

your attenuation is within normal parameters, not great, but still ok.
    basically, there is a bit too much noise getting into your line.

Hi,

It seems Netgear rushed this router out and are only now fixing the problems, and from what I've read on the Netgear forums, it's because the higher speeds (1mbit/2mbit) cause the router to become less stable.

So, with that in mind, I would actually expect you to have problems if you're using version 1.03, 1.04 or 1.05 of the firmware. Also, in case you didn't know - the Netgear DG834G supports ADSL2 once the firmware is updated ;)

In relation to IOL's 24hr IP renewal - is it supposed to cause a momentary disconnect/reconnect ?! Eircom's DSL doesn't seem to do that as I've tested my DG834G on a friend's connection.

My ADSL stats are...
    Connection Speed  	1024 kbps  	128 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	27 db 	8 db
    Noise Margin 		30 db 	27 db

I think the "Noise Margin" on your "Downsteam" is too low, that's probably causing the disconnects. Get your line checked if you can.

Sparky_S - I would recommend a firmware update for your Linksys router.

- Neil

Yeah, I've been "researching" attenuation and SNR and drawn similar conclussions. :mad: Looks like 49db is 4db above(?) the level for stable 2mb line.
    By this new firmware supporting ADSL2, does that imply that an upgrade will fix my low SNR problems?
    ...or am I gonna have to downgrade my line and take a big hit on speed and more importantly, bandwidth? By my own reckoning I'm within 3-4km of the exchange.

As for the 24hr thing, not too sure...it's in Esat's T&C's somewhere (at least it was when I signed up 2 odd years back...

[edit]
    BTW connection has been stable for a while now....wondering if earlier was more of a peaktime, in terms of noise on the line, than now (6pm as opposed to 9.30pm right now)...

Ive updated the firmware but now it wont let me log on to esats bb, it says it cant find a PPPoE server even though all my details are correct, is esat down or something.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Sparky_S - After a major firmware update, if things are not working it's recommended that reset all the settings in the router, then re-enter them. Before doing this (as I'm sure you don't want to have to re-enter all the settings all over again) we should check that all your existing settings are correct. Here is a short list...

1. Username / password (especially the password, try re-entering it)
    2. Multiplexing: LLC - VPI: 8 - VCI: 35
    3. WAN MTU Size: 1492

The WAN IP address and DNS servers are given to you by IOL BB automatically when you connect so there's no need to enter them manually.

And btw, IOL BB is working fine this evening, I'm online with IOL BB right now ;)

Wertz - Your line does seem to have a lot of noise so I think your best bet is to have Eircom check your line.

ADSL2 support won't help here I'm afraid, just thought I'd mention it anyway ;)

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Wertz - Your line does seem to have a lot of noise so I think your best bet is to have Eircom check your line.

- Neil

>.<

Ive reset the router restored factory defaults etc, then entered my details etc etc.
    then when it tries to connect it sends about 20 but receives none, ive gone over the settings on iolbb's site twice and still no joy.

Im on the zyxel router now, and ive checked the password and username, i even re-entered it on the router to see if its right and it worked, so i dont know if the wireless router is now ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Just restore the older firmware if you think you messed it up. Not likely to be messed up though. Go through the settings one by one and see if they are all right.

Right heres the thing.
    My updated firmware was 1.02.7 but wouldnt let me log on to PPPoE, so i downgraded it to v 1.01.7 and it connects perfectly.

So just to check again im goin to update it again to see if it will work and if it does'nt, maybe the router doesent accept stuff from esat, i dunno but im goin to try it.

Right updated and the same thing happens so ive downgraded and am staying at v 1.01.7. well its an upgrade anyway from the original 1.01.6 that was factory preset.

Hi,

When you downloaded the firmware update from Linksys, did you download the Annex A or B version?

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

When you downloaded the firmware update from Linksys, did you download the Annex A or B version?

- Neil
    Annex A
    Because Annex B is for ISDN AFAIK

Ive downloaded my current one from ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/

Hi,

I was just making sure ;)

Still, a very odd problem. Out of interest, when you upgraded to the latest firmware (the version that didn't let you connect via PPoE) - did you try a full factory reset?

- Neil

yes full factory reset and i even used the button on the back of the router aswell but no joy.
    The firmware i have installed now seems to have made the BB more responsive.

What firmware did you upgrade to? since the one on the site at the moment i tried aswell but no joy either.

• Advertisement

this version isnt on the website and i tried it firstly and it wouldnt work

WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.02.7_03_code.bin

This is the version thats working grand for me now

WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.01.7_0304_code.bin

Hi,

I'm pretty much out of ideas ;)

I would just have a look around the Linksys forums for anyone with similar problems (Google too) as it does seem really odd that a minor update would break things.

Btw, I meant to ask, what's your line noise and line attenuation like? All these upgrades to 1mbit / 2mbit really shows up poor line conditions...

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

I'm pretty much out of ideas ;)

I would just have a look around the Linksys forums for anyone with similar problems (Google too) as it does seem really odd that a minor update would break things.

Btw, I meant to ask, what's your line noise and line attenuation like? All these upgrades to 1mbit / 2mbit really shows up poor line conditions...

- Neil

Just wanna check whats your firmware number?

And thanks for the help you gave me, much appreciated. :cool:

Hi,

I actually don't own a Linksys router at the moment, I own a Netgear DG383G v2 (running the latest beta firmware) although I've had experience with a lot of makes and models at this stage (Linksys, SMC, Netgear, Buffalo). ;)

- Neil

Just as an update to my problem, I got on to BT tech support and was pleasantly surprised at how quick they got back to me. But they wanted me to use my Zyxel USB (ew) so they could test the line.
    Instead I flashed the Netgear beta firmware and the router/connection have been stable ever since, even though the line attenuation is still crap (it's even lower now lol)

Advertisement