Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies

Options
  • 07-04-2005 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Whats everyones favourite play and epic?

My favourite play is Medea for the pure vemon!, second is Oedipus the King for the irony and last is Prometheus Bound, hes a bit whiny.

Like the two epics the same

How often are theatres asked in Roman Art and Architecture section?, I heard that bridges are hardly asked anything else?.

My favourite section is Alexander the Great. I enjoy analysing it more.

Final question! :p
    As far as I know English is the subject inwhich grades increase the most during rechecks due to its subjective nature.

Could this hold true for questions concerning analysis ie part B`s of Alexander, epics and the plays?
    Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My favourite two plays are Medea and Oedipus the King as well - I just find them so much more interesting than Prometheus Bound, which is kinda dull. I think that's the general trend actually because in the Chief Examiner's Notes on Classical Studies it's said that most people don't answer on Prometheus Bound. I think the only place where I'd go out of my way to answer on Prometheus Bound would be if a question came up on what makes a typical play, and even then I might just use Oedipus instead
    We haven't studied the epics, which is shame because I'd have rather liked to have done them. We haven't done Roman Art and Architecture either - we're doing Greek Art and Architecture instead. The other two topics we've done are Alexander the Great and the Augustan Writers (which is a wonderful topic! I love it!)
    I don't know how much your grades can go up during the rechecks, but I wouldn't say it's as much as English... I think the examiners are looking for certain points of information in your answer that would be relevant, and how well you back up what you're saying with answers. the marking schemes are on www.examinations.ie, in the menu on the left go to 'Examination Material Archive' and go for the marking schemes, and you'll see exactly what they look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Oedipus rex for definate. Anyone see panpan's prodution of Oedipus loves you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I definately prefer Oedipus over Medea, just for the fact that he rode his ma like. How messed up is that.

And I don't prefer either the Odyssey or the Aeneid, but I remember the first one better for whatever reason and so tend to answer on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Ive always found that the second half of the Aenied drags, not too fond of it in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm finding Alexander fairly difficult at the moment, can't get into it, no teacher so I'm having slight problems..
    Loving Medea and Oedipus, then again I am big into drama and I got a good analysis of this from my Youth Theatre Leader.
    Aeneid and Oddysey frighten me with the language.
    Philospher is easy out, I think this is the best topic, easiest to comprehend and understand and to write notes on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement