Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dit course query

Options
  • 07-04-2005 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, a few months ago i sent in my cao application with 'hospitality management' as my number1 choice. i'm wondering could anybody tell me what this course is like. i.e is it enjoyable, how many hours per week etc.

and, what is cathal brugha st. like? i heard its a bit run-down, but is it alright?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Who's been telling you that Cathal Brugha Street is run down?....hell no, I think it's pretty modern to be honest with ya. Fair enough, it's smaller than other colleges and all, but I like this particular building. It's really relaxed and casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 damo dempsey

i just heard it's a bit of a dump, especially compared to aungier st. and their other locations. but i stand corrected.
    so, does anybody know what 'hospitality management' is like, through personal experience or from other people. any stories- good or bad, i would like to hear them- as it is coming close to the leaving cert and i don't want to go into a course that i won't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

i just heard it's a bit of a dump, especially compared to aungier st. and their other locations. but i stand corrected.
    :

Every other DIT is called a dump in comparison to Aungier Street!!!....Think about it?!!

Ah, I know one or two doing Hospitality Management and they think it's pretty cool, nothing negative really to say!! But the Hospitality and Tourism Faculty itself is nice enough, I like it.....

thanks for the info 'faddymackshyte'! fair play to you for replying

anybody else with opinions???! no,awww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

I did this degree and really enjoyed it. Cathal Brugha Street is great craic and because its smaller you get to meet more people. You can some really good grub there too really cheaply. If you are interested in working in the hotel business or catering, its a good route to take. If you have never done any related work before, I'd give it a shot over the summer so you can know what you are getting yourself in for. Having said that, its a really good business and management degree.

• Advertisement

thanks for your reply elley.
    i have worked in a hotel for 2.5 years so i kinda know what i'm getting myself into regards the type of hours etc.
    by any chance could you tell me, how many hours approx. is it per week, and do you have to do many assignments or is it mainly on-the-job based??
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

Damo, its probably about 30 hours in first year, and each year it falls. You will have a good few assignemnts to do. While there is a bit of practical in the course it is mainly theory based. The Hospitality Management degree also includes (or included when I did it) a six month placement. Its a good business course, so it would be a useful way of backing up your practical knowlege and also means that you have other options beside Hotel and Catering. The subjects you cover include Manangement, Marketing, Economics, Financial Management, French / German, Tourism, Food and Beverage Studies, Communications, IT, Human Resources. You wouldn't have all these subjescts each year but gives you an idea of the areas you would cover. THere are also the practical kitchen classes and restaurant service./ If you would prefer a more practical / industry based course, there are a number of courses like the Trainee Manager Development Programme run by Failte Ireland. Basically you work in a hotel as a trainee manager and have some classes, assignments and lectures - it can be quite tough for crap money. There is also a block release programme in GMIT thats very good.
    Hope this help, let me know if you want any more info.

Advertisement