Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden state

• 07-04-2005 9:12pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

so garden state is finally released, but my lousy local cinema in castlebar isn't screening it even though they had the poster up last febuary....whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!?!?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

certain cinemas advertise films(posters & trailers) just to get revenue, even if they arent screening the specific film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I saw it about a month ago and i found it so depressing. still fair play to zach braff for doing everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have it on dvd.I really enjoyed it. I found it upifting rather than depressing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I think it's a fantastic film, and braff deserved all the acclaim he got in the festivals it was screened at. I'm looking forward to his next movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It's ridiculous to have held off showing it this long. Most people who wanted to see it have seen it through downloading/copying/knowing someone who downloaded it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it makes feck all money since so many people have seen it already..

I'll still go see it again but that's cos I don't pay

/me hugs unlimited card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

steveland? wrote:
    It's ridiculous to have held off showing it this long. Most people who wanted to see it have seen it through downloading/copying/knowing someone who downloaded it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it makes feck all money since so many people have seen it already..
    Yeah.. i saw it at least a year ago. But in all honesty, i don't think it would have made much money over here anyways!

It's an amazing film.. don't get me wrong!

But it was barely advertised and anyways.. if the common person was standing in a cinema lobby trying to pick between Sahara, Constantine, Be Cool and all that other crap out right now.. very few would actually pick 'Garden State'

Kinda like 'Napolean Dynamite'... another great film but didn't make that much money over here, even by word of mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

napoleon dynamite was a breath of freash air. it had no plot really but was fantastic. my problem with garden state i think was that i was cranky watching it so that may have been why i thought it was depressing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

my lousy local cinema actually screened napolean dynamite...so funny, and you really root for the characters, definitly the funniest film i saw last, never stopped laughing. some of my friends didnt like it tho...although they were laughing too! think it was the lack of plot that put them off....*sigh* some people eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I thought Garden State was trying to hard to be kooky. It looked forced, where Jeunet makes it look effortless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Just back from it. Amazing film. Was expecting something quite depressing thanks to some of the views aboev but found it really uplifting. Liked everything about it - especially the soundtrack and Ms. Portman. Really confirms my view that going in knowing nothing about a film's plot makes you enjoy it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

solo1 wrote:
    I thought Garden State was trying to hard to be kooky. It looked forced, where Jeunet makes it look effortless.

Yeh I got the feeling it was trying too hard to be controversial, like the way they swore all the time. It just felt too put on.

Still it's well worth watching and an excellent directorial debut for Zach Braff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Just saw it today and it really captured me, very enjoyable... in fact ive never felt that kind of buzz from a film in a long time, nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it last night. It just passed out 'Sideways' as my favourite movie of the year so far. Absolutely loved it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You're not missing anything, it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Are you sure you were in the right film?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Its a good movie for his first.
    I thought it was going to be a great film for the first 20/30mins, after that it just went downhill. The ending is quite a chicks type of ending.

3.9/10 (sucky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Bri wrote:
    Are you sure you were in the right film?! :D

Indeed I was. Self-indulgent and tedious, it was exactly the sort of thing a thirty year old actor who's given a couple of mil to spend would produce. Additionally the plot was so hackneyed as to be unreal. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

Advertisement