Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working nightshifts and studying, can it be done?

• 07-04-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about working 3 or 4 nights/week nights from June (money is better), but I'll probably be repeating at least 3 exams in August. I've never worked nightshifts before, can anyone tell me if it's possible to work nightshifts and study during the day the rest of the week successfully? The work in question is supermarket work. I don't want to ruin my chances for the exams. I would start studying for them now but I don't know if I have time, I have other exams in 5 weeks.

Cheers
    Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah its possible!! You more than likely won't be working EVERY night, which leaves you plenty of time to study, but if you mean working nightshifts (like through to the next morning) I wouldn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I worked some of the suckiest weekends of my life in security.

It would be the perfect job for a student. You are stuck in a portacabin for 12 hrs, you have pretty much nada to do. If you have yor books, hey presto, you get paid for studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Nala,
    why not the best of both worlds. Work hard for 6 weeks nights then study. I dont think the Nights and the Study will go well together. When I worked nights it took me a day or 2 to get me head back on track.
    Good luck with the exams....
    BTW, I got 7 F's and a D in my 2nd (and last) year of college.
    regards
    Zoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I did it on my repeats , twas grand , tough goin , I would of personally rathered work during the day and study at night its a better routine than slogging at the books all day and then going in to listen to whiney customers , like ya care why they keep moving the milk your just there for the money , Its easier to be nice to people when your awake , I was in a supermarket and i found study way more tiring than the job

Its tough but can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

simple man, dont work night shifts-i'm in now til 7 and it turns into a completely different was of life. you just wont want to study because theres no such thing as bein alert or tired its just asleep and awake. they sound like a good idea at first but you'll miss your summer completely working them. not to be pesimistic or anything. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It can be done, I know a guy who worked 11 - 9 four nights a week for 2 years of college...

Tough going. Depends very much on what type of evening work you'll be doing. Night porter type stuff would be great for studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

DO security and study as was already said. It's the king.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Exactly security or other boring type job (mine was supervisor in factory) got A+ Inet + Most of an MCP (need cash to do test) 15 discworld books.

Lol the Discworld books were my highlight,not like i use the other **** :(.

kdjac

Advertisement